• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Noodle

Panic over, more dollars printed DOW back up 700 points from the low :o

picture4rc.jpg

Would there be any chance us and the rest of humanity can ignore this crooked slide show and just get on with normal trading again?

Bet FUBRA's flat out packing dry ice round the servers.

Doing well so far.

That's not too far from the truth :)

We've increased the number of PHP nodes in the server cluster that hosts HPC from 4 to 7 over the course of today, so hopefully we should be able to keep up with demand!

Conservative landslide then. :ph34r:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/may/06/dow-jones-uk-general-election-2010

General election 2010: Can Dow Jones index predict UK election winner?

Movements in the US stock market have correctly predicted the outcome of 18 of the last 20 UK general elections

Wall Street, New York Stock Exchange

When the Dow Jones index rises, Labour tends to win; when it falls, the Conservatives are victorious. Photograph: Richard Drew/AP

As Britain finally goes to the polls, one of the more esoteric indicators of who might lead the next government – the US stock market – is predicting a win for the Conservative party.

The movement in the Dow Jones index over the course of a British election campaign has correctly predicted the outcome of 18 of the last 20 elections: when the Dow rises during an election campaign the Labour party wins; when it falls, the Conservative party wins.

This has to be some soverign wealth fund pulling out hasnt it?

Unless they put the decimal point in the wrong place on the trade! :)

Only other explaination is a coordinated attack on the markets by key players.

I was panicked by a usually level-headed city boy business contact yesterday - mentioned on here. He used to work in Futures FFS, and he sounded like he'd been gripped by panic!!!! I got the feeling he knew something I bloody well didn't. JMJ!

Edited by gruffydd
Guest Noodle

That's not too far from the truth :)

We've increased the number of PHP nodes in the server cluster that hosts HPC from 4 to 7 over the course of today, so hopefully we should be able to keep up with demand!

Paul, you know that means absolutely nothing to me love, but well done and thanks for being a brilliant geek and wotnot.

An error at P&G caused some of the drop, but loads of other things going down, inc rumours of hedge fund blow-up. RUN FOR COVER!

From FTA'ville: The rumors have been out there this week, about a fund or funds being liquidated and that certainly could be true. Today's move, particularly in the past hour, feels like a hedge fund being liquidated. When this is done it looks like this. It feel like this.

Someone pulled the trigger on closing somebody big yesterday two hours into the bell and then the market settled down in the final hour. Today they've matched that pattern exactly, but I doubt we will see much of a settling down. If you have dry powder this is when you deploy, into a crapstorm like this, but the smart money may not want to do that into the weekend. Damn, this is a perfect storm for a bear, which I was one!

JEEEEESUS GETTTTTTT OUT OF SHARES!!!!!!!! NOW

Credit markets, too, are beginning to show signs of stress. Three-month Libor, the benchmark rate for billions of dollars in debt, shot to 0.42 percentage point from 0.37 percentage point, traders said. Corporate bond indexes also tumbled.

Edited by gruffydd

An error at P&G caused some of the drop, but loads of other things going down, inc rumours of hedge fund blow-up. RUN FOR COVER!

From FTA'ville: The rumors have been out there this week, about a fund or funds being liquidated and that certainly could be true. Today's move, particularly in the past hour, feels like a hedge fund being liquidated. When this is done it looks like this. It feel like this.

Someone pulled the trigger on closing somebody big yesterday two hours into the bell and then the market settled down in the final hour. Today they've matched that pattern exactly, but I doubt we will see much of a settling down. If you have dry powder this is when you deploy, into a crapstorm like this, but the smart money may not want to do that into the weekend. Damn, this is a perfect storm for a bear, which I was one!

JEEEEESUS GETTTTTTT OUT OF SHARES!!!!!!!! NOW

******ing knew this would happen!

I bet Taleb has made a few dollars on this over the past few hours!

FECK!

You go out for some chips and to vote and you come home and this has happened. Thank goodness I bought all those BP shares last month!

I assume the Giant Squid stepped in to buy up the market but the drop was so great that they had to ring the Fed up to print some more money.

******ing knew this would happen!

I bet Taleb has made a few dollars on this over the past few hours!

Yeah, they'll get in and get out very quickly and let the rest of us critters lose everything. Must hand it to Taleb though - one of the smartest guys on the planet!

Looks like this could wipeout loads of the little guys with shares. Poor buggers. Or perhaps well see a bouncback and everything will be back to normal. That was the biggest drop in the Dow since 1987 or so I'm told. Something pretty terrifying is going on. Let's hope things stabilise soon. Looks unlikely though.

FTSE futures down 270 now.

The rumour has moved from P&G fat finger to citi. Everyone's blaming them now apparently.

In short, nobody knows what the hell is going on - complete chaos.

Edited by gruffydd

Yeah, they'll get in and get out very quickly and let the rest of us critters lose everything. Must hand it to Taleb though - one of the smartest guys on the planet!

Looks like this could wipeout loads of the little guys with shares. Poor buggers.

The spread betting companies will making the calls again like last time. They feed on this volatility, their punter's positions are wiped out at the point they have no margin, maximum pain.

Has the sell-off been narrowed down to any shares in particular. Has a big corporation tanked, with collateral damage, or is it a general sell-off?

Everything is very stressed including Libor

NYSE just said there were no technical glitches - that was misinformation.

Commentators now rubbishing the fat finger P&G rumour too.

Plunge Protection PR?

:rolleyes:

This looks like something far more fundamental. Contagion.

Edited by gruffydd

Bloomberg says this is the biggest intraday drop since 1987!

Its kicking off big style!!

IGindex FTSE100 points to openening of about 5000.

and I closed my short positions this morning! Feel like a proper **** now. :angry: