House Price Crash Forum

Haunted Homes Tv Show 'spooks' Potential Buyers

HOLA441

Perhaps it's the recent glut of ghosts causing the slowing market.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Haunted homes TV show 'spooks' potential buyers

By Nina Goswami

(Filed: 21/08/2005)

Television programmes such as Most Haunted have spooked potential homebuyers so much that half of them now believe in ghosts and say they would not buy a house if they thought that they were sharing it with a spirit.

A recent poll commissioned by Lloyds TSB also found that a fifth of the 2,000 homebuyers sampled would only contemplate buying a house in which things went bump in the night if an exorcism or "new-age cleansing" took place.

Even knowing that a person had died of natural causes in a house put off 39 per cent of buyers, while a cemetery next door would make 47 per cent think twice.

Jon Pain, the author of the report, said it showed that since Most Haunted - in which a team seeks out ghosts in places across the British Isles - started two years ago, public awareness of "spooks and superstitions" had grown steadily. Another series of the show is scheduled for November.

Christopher Dewe, 40, an estate agent in the Oxford office of Knight Frank, believes that the paranormal is a definite factor to consider when selling a house.

"When haunted houses cause a lot of problems with viewings, then one has to suggest to the sellers that an exorcism might be a sensible option," he said.

"Otherwise we won't tend to mention it, though most of the time they seem to be happy ghosts. There was one house, where a bolt on a door would always slam locked if you closed it, so we were told never to close the door. Once, I forgot and I have never seen a viewer run so quickly out of a house in my life."

Joanna Lumley, the actress, revealed last September that she had been driven to sell her house in Goodnestone, Kent, by a ghost. Dressed as a workman, he put his face inches from hers and demanded that she "leave this place". Instead, Miss Lumley probably should have brought in an exorcist.

Canon Michael Anderson, a special adviser to the Archbishop of Canterbury on exorcism - or "deliverance missions" as the Church now calls them - said almost every parish priest in the country had performed at least one such duty. "We would bless the house and say, 'In the name of Jesus Christ, I command you to leave.' That's usually enough."

HOLA442

:lol:

If the hauntings are that bad then you should be able to prove it, if you can prove it you go down as the person who proved ghosts exist. I dont know of anyone who has been killed by a ghost.

Basically if an entity could exist on our plane and in our time space then it would have to follow the laws of physics which we have too. You could kick the crap out of a ghost , which makes them a little less scary.

Why would a ghost make that stupid noise that they are supposed to...

If they can be dismissed in the name of christ dosnt that its another christian load of pants... if i remember rightly even vampires are a christian thing (vlad the impaler spin off)

Live in fear people live in fear so _they_ can keep you under control.

Ha and just as im writting this the tv has just informed me that Den will continue to haunt albert square.

HOLA443
Perhaps it's the recent glut of ghosts causing the slowing market.

:lol::lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Haunted homes TV show 'spooks' potential buyers

By Nina Goswami

(Filed: 21/08/2005)

Television programmes such as Most Haunted have spooked potential homebuyers so much that half of them now believe in ghosts and say they would not buy a house if they thought that they were sharing it with a spirit.

A recent poll commissioned by Lloyds TSB also found that a fifth of the 2,000 homebuyers sampled would only contemplate buying a house in which things went bump in the night if an exorcism or "new-age cleansing" took place.

Buying at the peak of the bubble, seeing better houses all around you for 25% less, signing your life away for 35 years and rates at 6.5% will probably be enough to keep anyone awake at night.

Scary.

HOLA444
HOLA445