House Price Crash Forum

Stolen From Hpc

I've noticed in recent days/weeks people in the media and campainging politicians using phrases and ideas that seem to be directly copied off HPC. Has any body else noticed this?

On radio 4 this morning one economic comentator said jokingly mimicking the FSA warning on mortgage products "your country is at risk if you do not keep up payment made on your loans" when talking about the greek problem. that is stolen directly from somebody on here sig, can't remember who though.

any one else get the impression that some of the polititicans, or at least their staff, have been on here for ideas?

I've noticed in recent days/weeks people in the media and campainging politicians using phrases and ideas that seem to be directly copied off HPC. Has any body else noticed this?

On radio 4 this morning one economic comentator said jokingly mimicking the FSA warning on mortgage products "your country is at risk if you do not keep up payment made on your loans" when talking about the greek problem. that is stolen directly from somebody on here sig, can't remember who though.

any one else get the impression that some of the polititicans, or at least their staff, have been on here for ideas?

Yep, I've noticed this. Vince Cable has been doing it for a few years now (unless of course it's the other way round and HPC got their soundbites from him )

I think Nick Clegg used a few in his recent Leaders' Debate as well

Edited by Solitaire

Yep - lazy hacks/researchers etc have been doing it for yrs!

It got really bad at one point, we used to do "spot the article coined from an HPC thread" in the Sunday rags a few yrs ago!

you turn if you like, this HP poster is not for turning :)

It might just be a case of great minds thinking alike.........

The quality of most of Fleetstreet's 'elite run' output can be directly compared to CDO's >>>

Corrupt Demented Offe_rings! :P

(The Ultimate RINGERS!)

Edited by erranta

It might just be a case of great minds thinking alike.........

As a former journalist I can assure you that 90% of journalism these days is copied in part off forums like this. The print news industry is rapidly approaching a terminal decline and there is no proven, commercially viable alternative online. Personally I blame the BBC for stifling commercial innovation, especially in the field of online news, analysis and comment.

Edited by Orsino

As a former journalist I can assure you that 90% of journalism these days is copied in part off forums like this. The print news industry is rapidly approaching a terminal decline and there is no proven, commercially viable alternative online. Personally I blame the BBC for stifling commercial innovation, especially in the field of online news, analysis and comment

Edited by housespider

Hi!

Just out of curiosity, do you know that Orsino is just one letter way from a Portuguese word that means little bear?

Yes, it was deliberate. The name derived from 'ursus' the Latin for 'bear' but I didn't know it was a Portuguese name as well. When the market changes I'm going to change my name to Beavis which is derived from the Old French word 'beuve' for 'bull'.

Yes, it was deliberate. The name derived from 'ursus' the Latin for 'bear' but I didn't know it was a Portuguese name as well. When the market changes I'm going to change my name to Beavis which is derived from the Old French word 'beuve' for 'bull'.

Could have gone for Ursula instead, which is a bit more common. same meaning - only down side I guess is that people would assume you are a bird and therefore not listen to any of your posts

Could have gone for Ursula instead, which is a bit more common. same meaning - only down side I guess is that people would assume you are a bird and therefore not listen to any of your posts

Not listen to any of your posts...! Perhaps it's funnier if you aren't weighed down by useless dangly bits - friend of mine who's an ex-shrink says that thinking while on testosterone leads to amazingly stupid actions. That' ll be the City and Wall Street, then.

The only idea a lot of them have is headlining

House prices up

House prices down

House prices up

House prices down

That and

The volcano's active

The volcano's not active

The volcano's active

The volcano's not active

As a former journalist I can assure you that 90% of journalism these days is copied in part off forums like this. The print news industry is rapidly approaching a terminal decline and there is no proven, commercially viable alternative online. Personally I blame the BBC for stifling commercial innovation, especially in the field of online news, analysis and comment.

Must admit, I rarely buy a paper these days. And it's their own fault - I never asked to be told what to think.

I reckon the press have a tough job.

How would you start each day with a blank page to fill and you have to keep people interested? It's a good job footballers shag about and t*ts were invented, otherwise there would be no need for them at all

Of course they copy stuff but then wouldn't you? I reckon it is a compliment

As I once said, 'never in the field of banking was so much owed by so many to so few'

What is rapidly destroying print media is not competition from digital media itself but the fact that advertisers are spending increasing amounts on online ads. This is partly because it's easier for a marketing manager to show that an Internet ad brought in x number of new customers and therefore justify the money they've spent on placing the ad. It's much harder to do that with a print ad. The recession has served to dramatically accelerate this process.

With the print media starved of ad revenues they have responded in a number of ways. Firstly they have slashed the number of journalists working for them. This has meant the remaining editors and journos have to work much harder and take on much more wide-ranging roles. Secondly, many publications have significantly expanded the use of freelancers to reduce overheads. However, no of these measures have been sufficient and wages are now falling precipitously as publications struggle to go to print on limited budgets.

But I believe the industry has now reached a tipping point. The pay and time available to most journalists is now so small that quality has undoubtedly been adversely affected. Frankly much of what is now printed is worthless. Research is confined to reading websites like this because it is unlikely that the journalist in question has any particular knowledge about the subject, nor do they have time to develop the knowledge necessary to give a properly informed opinion. Speaking for myself I was often asked to write about subjects I didn't have a clue about. That's not why I became a journalist. Integrity was part of the reason for switching careers but the threat of abject poverty was another.