House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom'n'Bust

Spiralling Costs Threaten British Building Project

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Construction prices are set to rise by almost a third over the next five years, casting a cloud over a swathe of projects including the building of the Olympic village for London 2012

How the London Council Tax payers will be screwed.

I bet the Tsar will still say it will be worth every penny.

im starting to lose faith in my country. whenever i see 'british' i think somewhere along the line a rip off is involved.

so much for british fairness. its all about greed and feeding off your neighbour.

the word 'British' is losing its value.

But is anywhere else really an option?

Guns in America

Police-state Australia

New Zealand?

Is there a utopia out there? Is it here?

Canada looks nice but although I qualify for residence my skill sets are not in demand over there :(

Otherwise I'd be off, likewise if my language skills were better I'd be in Germany.

Canada - isn't it impossible to get in there?

No, but there's currently a three-year backlog of residency applications. So unless you marry a Canadian or get a temporary work permit, it'll be a long wait.

I'm glad I applied when there was only an eighteen month backlog.

No, but there's currently a three-year backlog of residency applications. So unless you marry a Canadian or get a temporary work permit, it'll be a long wait.

I'm glad I applied when there was only an eighteen month backlog.

I have always found it odd that in a country so empty and so clearly in need of people, that they have made it so hard to get in. 9/11 didn't help. I guess. A friend of mine once applied to get in. He has a PhD in Electrical Engineering. He was turned down because his qualifications were not on the "list". Top of the list was gumball machine repairman, I kid you not. Shows you that no matter where you go governments are populated with idiots.

I have always found it odd that in a country so empty and so clearly in need of people, that they have made it so hard to get in. 9/11 didn't help. I guess. A friend of mine once applied to get in. He has a PhD in Electrical Engineering. He was turned down because his qualifications were not on the "list". Top of the list was gumball machine repairman, I kid you not. Shows you that no matter where you go governments are populated with idiots.

I guess they're only looking for people to take the low paid jobs that no-one else would want.

On your next application describe your previous career as a refuse collector or road labourer. If you look exploitable, they'll have you!

I have always found it odd that in a country so empty and so clearly in need of people, that they have made it so hard to get in.

The thing is, unlike most countries the Canadian immigration folks now rate all jobs above a certain minimum standard the same (it's no easier to emigrate as a doctor than as a plumber or whatever), and the system is biased towards couples. They only take about 200,000 people a year and only about 8,000 British people, and a single couple with kids can easily suck up six to eight of those visas in one application (which is odd when you consider they're supposed to be bringing skilled workers into the country, not kids).

Anyway, the end result is that there are just far more people applying than there are places. Before long they're going to have to change the whole system yet again: I just hope I get processed before they do.

Edit: oh, and it doesn't help that a lot of people apply to Canada solely as a 'backup' in case they don't get their US Green Card, so many of the visas are given to people who don't even intend to live there.

Edited by MarkG

The thing is, unlike most countries the Canadian immigration folks now rate all jobs above a certain minimum standard the same (it's no easier to emigrate as a doctor than as a plumber or whatever), and the system is biased towards couples. They only take about 200,000 people a year and only about 8,000 British people, and a single couple with kids can easily suck up six to eight of those visas in one application (which is odd when you consider they're supposed to be bringing skilled workers into the country, not kids).

Anyway, the end result is that there are just far more people applying than there are places. Before long they're going to have to change the whole system yet again: I just hope I get processed before they do.

Edit: oh, and it doesn't help that a lot of people apply to Canada solely as a 'backup' in case they don't get their US Green Card, so many of the visas are given to people who don't even intend to live there.

I still find it odd that they only allow 200,000 people a year into the country. The country could probably absorb twice that number. Just a misallocation of resources, I guess. Where are you hoping to move to, should you get your visa?

I suspect it's more down to a compromise between special interest groups, like most of politics :).

I'm intending to move to Edmonton, if my girlfriend can find a job there (that's where her parents live, but she's been working in Saskatchewan for a while).

That said, I can buy almost any house I've seen advertised in Saskatchewan for cash, so there might be a good reason to go there instead :).

Edited by MarkG