House Price Crash Forum

Affordable Housing Question Put To Cameron

HOLA441

Just watching the campaign coverage on BBC - Cameron is in Cornwall. One guy asks:

'One of the problems in Cornwall is affordable housing. With the Lib Dems' proposal there will be VAT on new builds - what can you guarantee'.

Again, issue totally skirted around.

But how many times during this campaign has this issue been raised now?

HOLA442

Just watching the campaign coverage on BBC - Cameron is in Cornwall. One guy asks:

'One of the problems in Cornwall is affordable housing. With the Lib Dems' proposal there will be VAT on new builds - what can you guarantee'.

It was certainly raised in the debate last week and part of his response was to promote the idea of shared and part ownership. This can only prop up an unrealistically priced market. Why should Brits not have the same access to a whole home that those in other countries do? I'll not be voting for any party that touts this as a solution.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Vote Lib Dem.

Hope for a hung parliament, and then write to your Lib Dem MP, telling him/her if he/she doesnt start doing something to bring house prices back down.

When there is GE in a few months, you will not be voting Lib Dem again.

When all else fails, TRY BLACKMAIL!

HOLA445

The simple answer is they can't afford to provide affordable housing...they are washing their hands of it...someone elses problem the private sector and free market will decide.......They are reliant on money being inherited by the young, but this will not happen in many cases, homeowners will be using any assets to live on in their old age, most pensions are/will be as good as useless.

Shared ownership is NOT the answer all it is is a rip off...........rents will have to fall, and they will. ;)

HOLA446

The simple answer is they can't afford to provide affordable housing...they are washing their hands of it...someone elses problem the private sector and free market will decide.......They are reliant on money being inherited by the young, but this will not happen in many cases, homeowners will be using any assets to live on in their old age, most pensions are/will be as good as useless.

Shared ownership is NOT the answer all it is is a rip off...........rents will have to fall, and they will. ;)

This is my view too. As soon as the next government realise that a very large % of their tax take goes straight back-out paying rents for approx 2 million households.

HOLA447

This is my view too. As soon as the next government realise that a very large % of their tax take goes straight back-out paying rents for approx 2 million households.

Hard earned taxes are literally being burned....this money has to go to repay the deficit so that we can get this country back on track. ;)

HOLA448

If you were an up and coming "star" of any party would you want your party to be lected this time or would you sit on the sidelines, watch the debacle that WILL unfold and then say "vote for me next time and we can go back to the good times in four years". In fact make me a cabinet minister or even prospective leader. That's what brought Blair in over Major. John Major looks a pretty decent guy right now and McMillan looks a world beater. Even Harold Wilson FFS. What have we fallen to????????????

HOLA449

Exactly - I refuse to vote for the main parties now.

Vote for a hung parliment. Vote for whoever is behind in the polls on may 5th. None of the main parties will want prices to correct, the best for HPC is a hung parliment.

Or vote UKIP their manifesto says they will allow the housing market to correct.

HOLA4410

Vote for a hung parliment. Vote for whoever is behind in the polls on may 5th. None of the main parties will want prices to correct, the best for HPC is a hung parliment

Cameron Clegg pact.....two heads are better than one. ;)

or vote UKIP their manifesto says they will allow the housing market to correct.

The market will correct itself. ;)

HOLA4411

What do you expect any of them to say? No party is going to announce before the election a tax on second homes or any other measure aimed at reducing house prices. Their response will always be: we will provide shared ownership schemes, easier access to mortgages, etc...

Let's face it all of the leaders, if not all politicians, come from the land owning classes. Their backers are the same. None of them want property prices to crash.

Ignore the politicians; the market is our only hope for reasonably priced houses.

HOLA4412

Vote for a hung parliment. Vote for whoever is behind in the polls on may 5th. None of the main parties will want prices to correct, the best for HPC is a hung parliment.

Or vote UKIP their manifesto says they will allow the housing market to correct.

BINGO

HOLA4413

It was certainly raised in the debate last week and part of his response was to promote the idea of shared and part ownership. This can only prop up an unrealistically priced market. Why should Brits not have the same access to a whole home that those in other countries do? I'll not be voting for any party that touts this as a solution.

Indeed. Shared ownership makes debt more affordable while doing nothing to bring down the cost of housing.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I intend to vote LIbDem with the hope that Cons do a deal with them and we get a better voting system, then I'll be voting UKIP in all future elections to display my contempt for MEPs and the rest of them in Brussels. Who would seriously want to inherit GB's poisoned chalice anyway?

As I see it the root of the problem does lie in Margaret Thatcher's blind commitment to her party doctrines which led to deregulation of the banks and selling off of council houses so I'm not convinced that giving DC a free hand will be a good thing. A hung parliament for now and a more accountable parliament in the future has to be the best way forward (IMO).

HOLA4416

Was going to, but they don't have a candidate over here....

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I doesn't matter which party wins, HPC is inevitable. Holiday resorts in Cornwall aside, the UK generally is way overdue it's correction. You simply can't have a market unsupported by first time buyers for so long. If people want, or in many cases now, need to sell, asking prices will begin their gradual fall back to sanity soon.

HOLA4420

THEY are also against the banks paying a penalty for getting us into this mess.....and guess who is a ex-banker-------Nigel Farage :(

HOLA4421

+1

Hung parliament will cause HPC (markets will be nervous, uncertain etc etc etc) - bit selfish but we need this bitter medicine now :rolleyes: My vote will go to LibDems

I intend to vote LIbDem with the hope that Cons do a deal with them and we get a better voting system, then I'll be voting UKIP in all future elections to display my contempt for MEPs and the rest of them in Brussels. Who would seriously want to inherit GB's poisoned chalice anyway?

As I see it the root of the problem does lie in Margaret Thatcher's blind commitment to her party doctrines which led to deregulation of the banks and selling off of council houses so I'm not convinced that giving DC a free hand will be a good thing. A hung parliament for now and a more accountable parliament in the future has to be the best way forward (IMO).

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I was angry watching the third PM debate.

A woman who was an accountant, and her husband who was also an accountant, and apparently both well paid, could not afford to buy a house.

All 3 politicos gave answers which basically would hold prices up, like shared ownership.

Surely these politicians know that prices are just ridiculous.

I suppose they'd lose votes if they said they would encourage lower prices.

HOLA4424

...in Cornwall and other attractive country spots non residents (outside the area) should be taxed out of existence....Cameron needs to understand this..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4425

I doesn't matter which party wins, HPC is inevitable. Holiday resorts in Cornwall aside, the UK generally is way overdue it's correction. You simply can't have a market unsupported by first time buyers for so long. If people want, or in many cases now, need to sell, asking prices will begin their gradual fall back to sanity soon.

Made a change to your text ;)

I used to agree that FTBers were necessary. However, I have now come to the conclusion that they are not needed if we are switching back to a market where the majority of people rent their homes.

Which makes a kind of sense: with growing inequality, the "haves" need to stash their dosh somewhere, and a street of homes to rent out is a good component in a diversified portfolio, and they can easily outbid FTBers if they are looking for wealth preservation rather than performance.