House Price Crash Forum

Problems With Hpc Database

Hi All,

We have had a major hardware failure at our data centre where we host HousePriceCrash.co.uk and other sites.

The central backplane on our Coraid SR2421 RAID array has failed, such that is is only partially working. We are in the process of moving all sites off of this device on to other devices.

You can read updates on here: http://twitter.com/fubranoc/

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Paul

The central backplane on our Coraid SR2421 RAID array has failed, such that is is only partially working. We are in the process of moving all sites off of this device on to other devices.

You have my sympathies. The whole point of RAID is to provide 100% continuity so you must be pretty miffed.

Vendors should do something to make amends. If not, let us know who they are. I'm sure some of the system administrators and budget holders who frequent here can apply some pressure...

You have my sympathies. The whole point of RAID is to provide 100% continuity so you must be pretty miffed.

Forgive me if I'm displaying IT ignorance, but I thought the purpose of a RAID array was to prevent data loss in the event that any one hard drive in the array suffers a permanent failure, from which data recovery is impossible, by ensuring that each bit and byte is written on at least two physical drives in the array. Unless there's double redundancy in the the array controller itself, then if it breaks down you've still lost access to your data, even if the data remains safe and sound on the discs.

But yes, for a mission critical application I'd have expected that pretty much everything would have a duplicate backup.

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

Edited by worst time buyer

Forgive me if I'm displaying IT ignorance, but I thought the purpose of a RAID array was to prevent data loss in the event that any one hard drive in the array suffers a permanent failure, from which data recovery is impossible, by ensuring that each bit and byte is written on at least two physical drives in the array. Unless there's double redundancy in the the array controller itself, then if it breaks down you've still lost access to your data, even if the data remains safe and sound on the discs.

But yes, for a mission critical application I'd have expected that pretty much everything would have a duplicate backup.

The backplane failed not the individual drives, the worst IT failures are never the complete failure of an item but the slowly dawning realisation that a dodgy component has been writing corrupt data, I once saw a system where just 2 % of the data had been corrupted but we didnt know which 2% so the whole thing becomes suspect.

The whole point of RAID is to provide 100% continuity ...

No it isn't.

Vendors should do something to make amends. If not, let us know who they are. I'm sure some of the system administrators and budget holders who frequent here can apply some pressure...

No they couldn't.

But I'm sure the sysadmins at FUBRA really appreciate your help here.

The backplane failed not the individual drives, the worst IT failures are never the complete failure of an item but the slowly dawning realisation that a dodgy component has been writing corrupt data, I once saw a system where just 2 % of the data had been corrupted but we didnt know which 2% so the whole thing becomes suspect.

Yuk. Creates that slightly sick feeling and slight sweatiness unique to serious IT problems.

Always seems to happen at about 4.50 on a Friday and usually just after telling your Mgr. how great things are going...

Yep you should have a passive controller ready for seamless failover.

I am trying to get my budget holders to understand this stuff but the conversations go:

1. Do this we will be safe.

2. Great! let's do it.

3. It'll cost this.

4. Oh. Well its not that likely is it?

Hi All,

We have had a major hardware failure at our data centre where we host HousePriceCrash.co.uk and other sites.

Regards,

Paul

I'm a tad disappointed with the reason tbh. I was working on my conspiracy theory that the government had shut the site down.

I'll get me (tin-foil) hat.

An overlooked problem with RAID is that often the drives are of an identical age and (yea you guessed it) tend to fail at the same time because of this. We had a double failure once because of this, both drives popped at the same time and it took hours and hours to write the backup data back.

True redundancy is very expensive. I once worked with a Tandem machine, where everything was redundant. You could even pull out CPU boards and it would still keep running.

You need that sort of resilience for things like air traffic control and so on.

IMHO it isn't that expensive and microsoft has got better at providing the tools to do it. IMHO you could get it with two server cluster, iis a with SQL Server, probably put it all together for under 50k, you could rip out the CPU on one of the servers and as a user you wouldn't notice a thing (if it was set-up correctly)

Hi All,

Regards,

Paul

Thanks for putting so much effort into it, I was beginning to experience withdrawal symptoms...

IMHO it isn't that expensive and microsoft has got better at providing the tools to do it. IMHO you could get it with two server cluster, iis a with SQL Server, probably put it all together for under 50k, you could rip out the CPU on one of the servers and as a user you wouldn't notice a thing (if it was set-up correctly)

In 1983 Sun Alliance were buying shedloads of colour workstations with graphical capabilities for £3000 a pop.

That's maybe £12K each in today's money.

For a 640x384 monitor.

These days it would be a big battle to get a bean counter to spend double that on a pair of powerful servers with total redundancy that would provide core services to 100 people without breaking a sweat.

Pathetic.

Letting the bean counters take control of budgets was the worst thing that ever happened in IT.

I'm a tad disappointed with the reason tbh. I was working on my conspiracy theory that the government had shut the site down.

I'll get me (tin-foil) hat.

"Paul" isn't who he says he is........ :rolleyes: