House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FTB

Ocean Finance

Got home from work early yesterday and turned on the televsion, I saw an advert for the fabled Ocean Finance, one guy on the advert said "We borrowed...ummm, I think it was 46 thousand pounds" - "I think" WTF!!! How can someone borrow such a mind boggling large sum (outside of a mortgage) and not be sure of the actual sum they borrowed!! This was the guy they used to advertise their loans too!

He then goes on to say how they consolidated all of their loans and even managed "to buy a new car and a holiday"

He really needs to write that figure down on paper and see how much he actually owes. God knows what APR is on those loans but I bet it's hellishly scary.

Looks like Ocean Finance will be the proud owners of his house sooner rather than later anyway.

Edited by FTB

I love those ads. Especially the bit where people always say that they 'even had some money left over' for a holiday etc Responsible lending ( and borrowing!! ) at its best.

There is one on at the moment where the dumb bint says something about Ocean being so helpful in arranging her loan that she didn't bother shopping around anywhere else!! Never mind the rate then eh!!!

Having been quite ill for the last 6 months I have been at home and tortured by daytime TV.

The adverts on daytime TV seem to either be from loan companies advertising loans or from charities seeking money from people - quite the opposite audience I would have thought!?

Looks like Ocean Finance will be the proud owners of his house sooner rather than later anyway.

Indeed. A visit to their website reveals this little jem:

The overall cost for comparison is 8.0% APR.

Oh dear.

Having been quite ill for the last 6 months I have been at home and tortured by daytime TV.

The adverts on daytime TV seem to either be from loan companies advertising loans or from charities seeking money from people - quite the opposite audience I would have thought!?

You forgot to mention the ambulance chasing injury lawyers claims for blames ads that seem to be on constantly throughout the day.

Edited by Tron

Anyone remember 'Yes Car Credit' - the tasty woman used to say at the end..

'We're waiting to say yes, to nice people' :lol:

They soon removed this part of the ad! :rolleyes:

Edited by OzzMosiz

Hope you are recovering well TMT.

Keep the posts coming.

CB.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I love those ads. Especially the bit where people always say that they 'even had some money left over' for a holiday etc Responsible lending (and borrowing!!) at its best.

Yeah, that always makes me dispair.

You're in debt so what do you do? Start yet another round of spending with the money intended to get you OUT of debt.

That woman from the Yes Card Credit ads supposedly ended up on the Commercial Channel (I don't get Sky so I've never seen it).

Don't mention them to my (debt ridden) mate. They stitched him up like a kipper.

Daytime ads seem to consist of:

Debt consolidation ads

Compensation ads (fallen over your own feet due to your own lumbering stupidity? You may be entitled to compensation).

June Whitfield flogging insurance for the over 50s.

More debt consolidation ads

I actually emailed Ocean Finance & asked them why they (seemingly) only lend money to ugly fat bloaters?

Never got a response.

I always wondered if it was their attempt at humour when the rather large woman says "It was like a great weight had been lifted".

Anyone remember 'Yes Car Credit' - the tasty woman used to say at the end..

Just 19.9% APR!!!

I believe they used to say their cars were AA approved, until a Watchdog investigation revealed that their cars are shoddy death traps.

I've never seen the point in blowing money on a shiny motor, especially if you have no money.

Edited by mhifoe

I've never seen the point in blowing money on a shiny motor, especially if you have no money.

Well, if you're poor, you don't want everyone to know you're poor!

The most obvious & immediate way to demonstrate (an illusion of) wealth is via a 6 year old Ford Modeo on Yes, car credit.

I actually emailed Ocean Finance & asked them why they (seemingly) only lend money to ugly fat bloaters?

Never got a response.

pmsl :lol: yea I wanna know that. I once rang up norton finance, to tell them to **** off with their adverts, as they were annoying as hell. The woman on the other end pissed herself laughing - I hung up. :lol:B)

Yeah, that always makes me dispair.

You're in debt so what do you do? Start yet another round of spending with the money intended to get you OUT of debt.

That woman from the Yes Card Credit ads supposedly ended up on the Commercial Channel (I don't get Sky so I've never seen it).

Don't mention them to my (debt ridden) mate. They stitched him up like a kipper.

Daytime ads seem to consist of:

Debt consolidation ads

Compensation ads (fallen over your own feet due to your own lumbering stupidity? You may be entitled to compensation).

June Whitfield flogging insurance for the over 50s.

More debt consolidation ads

You forgot the one fronted by that lovely clever lady from Countdown. Shes does the clever numerical puzzles on Countdown so she must be good with figures and this company must be offering me a good deal. Otherwise why would she borrow from them. :lol::P:P:lol:

Get well soon TMT. B)

getting serious for a second guys

The worst thing anyone could do when struggling with debt is to consolidate loans, and the only reason people would use these companies would to be just that.Hence dont even go near these people.

Consolidation just means switching your unsecured debt to secured debt, this is why they can offer to give you a bit more ect that your cc companies ect.

Now if you go belly up you lose your house, before you consolidated all you lost was your credit rating,So how dumb would anyone have to be to do such a crazy thing.

yes car credit charge 5k for a 3k car then on top add on high intrest rates, hence the reason they take on anyone of any risk.They will continually every year ask you to top up for another car and this will carry on till you reach the bankruptcy courts.

All these kind of companies are the sharks feeding off the last bit of wealth of dumb people, and its the uneductaed and stupid they want.

its akin to stealing from the retarded

Wasn't it Ken Dodd that world renowned philosopher that said 'Turn all your little debts into one big debt' call Ocean Finance.

Or was it Ken Dodds dads dogs dead.

Guest Bart of Darkness
You forgot the one fronted by that lovely clever lady from Countdown.

I did indeed. Ah yes, the lovely media whore Carol Vorderman.

I'd certainly like to give her a big deposit (and plenty up front).

Disgusting I know. :rolleyes:

I remember one particular bloke in an Ocean finance advert who had a big fat wobbly wife sitting next to him. Don't know what he wanted the extra money for but i suspect it was to enable him to buy her more chips.

I remember one particular bloke in an Ocean finance advert who had a big fat wobbly wife sitting next to him. Don't know what he wanted the extra money for but i suspect it was to enable him to buy her more chips.

Well after all the price of a barrel of cooking oil has just gone up.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Ocean Finance are only Credit Brokers, they arrange the loans through High Street subsidaries and receive around a 12% commission. So it is in their interest to sell as many loans as possible without risk to themselves.

Regarding these debt consolidation companies: Don't you get black listed once you go through this process because of the way they arange that only a percentage of your actual debt is paid off?

If you are going to get black listed even when you make your best efforts to pay your debts, why bother? You might as well go on one final shopping spree and tell all of the credit companies to do one. If you have a property sell it and rent for a few years until your credit rating picks up and property becomes more afordable. Either that or just buy in someone else's name with the cash from your own house sale.

Or have I completely lost the plot?

(I have been to the pub)

Edited by Tron