House Price Crash Forum
cddiment

Breaking A 6 Month Assured Tenancy

I moved into another house with a 6 month assured tenacy about 5 weeks ago. I don't really like the place, it's not well maintained though they have sorted some issues, and some local kids have been doing stuff to the car.

That aside I had a call from the estate agent saying that the landlords want their house back as they're being turfed out of their current place (family row!) and they wanted to serve 2 months notice, but the estate agent rightly told them that they cant do that because of the 6 months assured tenancy. The estate agent did say though that if I want to go early, I can, and it'll be done properly, plus if I stay with that agent, they'll wave my next admin fee which they did on my last place from a similar incident.

If I do move out, is there anything I should be careful of legally? Any other things you think I should be aware of or do, let me know. I can stay there the full 6 months but I don't really want to.

Cheers.

I think you have missed the point. I know what the contract says, the contract is assured for 6 months and I know the T's and C's, but these contracts don't have any get-out for before 6 months, this is an odd situation so Im more looking for legalities I should be aware of if both parties are happy to nullify a contract that comes under the Landlords and Tenants Act?

Thanks Anyway.

From the Shelter website:

Shelter Link

What if my landlord agrees that I can leave?

It is possible to get out of the agreement at any time if you can come to a mutual agreement with your landlord. This is called 'surrender'. To be valid, both sides must agree, and it's always best to put what's been agreed in writing so everyone knows where they stand. If you have a joint tenancy all the joint tenants and the landlord must agree to the surrender.

It's worth seeing if your landlord is willing to negotiate even if your tenancy agreement says you can't leave early. It may be convenient for both of you!

In contract law the contract has no life of its own, it is only between the contracting parties. If you both want to end it you can by mutual agreement.

Your contract should only be between you and the landlord.

Try and get some money out of him for it - say two months rent on your next property.

The estate agent did say though that if I want to go early, I can, and it'll be done properly, plus if I stay with that agent, they'll wave my next admin fee which they did on my last place from a similar incident.

... hmmm... and while your at it, maybe find another estate agent?