House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AteMoose

Electric Bike

Bought one of these new for under £100, and i have started commuting into work on it, which is a 90 mile a day trip in the car. The bike road legal and classed as a bycyle, It costs 7p a charge (altho i currently dont pay electric bills, my landlord does!) and it can do 26km on a single charge. Im curerntly putting the bike on the train and using it at both ends of the journey.

Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Would you do it?

Advantages:

Cut my commuting costs from 70 quid a week to 60 quid a mounth (probably more if you include running/wear and tear costs on a car)

Cut my commuting by 20 mins a day

Disadvantages:

I Possibly look like a plum, and may be ridiculed behind my back, is the bike designed for adults?

The Internal Political Company wranglings i have had to get through to get it into the building so i can put it on charge may bubble up again.

I Might get wet when it rains.

Trains are occasionally late.

60_2.JPG

post-552-1124442966_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosetea

its not so bad. just top it off with a decent tinted visor helmet and full kawasaki racing leathers.

they may laugh at first, but after a few 'wheelies' the office girls will be hot for a pillion ride to the ace cafe.

then score some blues, and head for brighton for a battle with the mods on their 'hairdriers'.

The Internal Political Company wranglings i have had to get through to get it into the building so i can put it on charge may bubble up again.

You can get bicycle carry-bags which are padded. These are intended for taking full-size mountain bikes (etc) on planes, but you might want to consider something similar if people take exception to you bringing it inside when it's dirty and wet.

Please report back on one of our cold, wet, windy days please.  :unsure:

I used to cycle to work every day, for four years. I got very wet only on a handful of occasions.

Cold doesn't matter if you have a real bike, ie: one that runs on Mars Bars and not on batteries, if you see what I mean... :lol:

Bought one of these new for under £100, and i have started commuting into work on it, which is a 90 mile a day trip in the car.  The bike road legal and classed as a bycyle, It costs 7p a charge (altho i currently dont pay electric bills, my landlord does!) and it can do 26km on a single charge.  Im curerntly putting the bike on the train and using it at both ends of the journey.

Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Would you do it?

Advantages:

Cut my commuting costs from 70 quid a week to 60 quid a mounth (probably more if you include running/wear and tear costs on a car)

Cut my commuting by 20 mins a day

Disadvantages:

I Possibly look like a plum, and may be ridiculed behind my back, is the bike designed for adults?

I Might get wet when it rains.

Trains are occasionally late.

do you have website link for that bike. so i can see the specifications etc.

ta

Good on you moosetea. You weren't tempted by a folding bicycle then?

I cycle into work once a week, but it is a seriously long way (45mile round trip). Still saves me £5 in fuel and makes me feel good. If fuel prices rise any more I will look at getting the train and cycling either end as well. Last time I looked the train fare was so expensive it didn't make sense....

Dave.

Here is another auction that ends in a few hours....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Bike-Baby-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

i used to do real cycling, but i ended up being hot and sweaty at the office, a fold up bike would be sensible but there expensive and even more expensive when there electric. This one folds up a bit, the seat goes down and handle bars fold back, but the real plus is the motor, it sails up gentle hills, and toodles along at 15mph on the flat, i free wheel it down hills. Unfortunatly no gears so you have to rely on the motor all the time unless your starting off or going up a steep hill, and want to assist the motor.

Initially bought it as it seemed like a bargain (for what it is), it has frount and rear suspension, very comfortable saddle, rear drum brake! Horn, frount light and brake light...

Commuter car looks interesting, you need to tax and insure it? 0-60 in 4 seconds, Mmmmm sounds um interesting, an electric car that will wipe the floor

ebay seems to have new folding electric bikes for a bit more...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-PANTHER-Folding-...bayphotohosting

Edited by moosetea

I know someone who has one of these

G-Wiz

Cheap to run (70p or so per charge - free in some carparks), free parking in central london, no congestion charge and no road tax. Top speed 40mph, but in central london thats not an issue.

He does get a few strange looks when driving it, but its a good laugh. He is regularly stopped by people wanting to know all about it. One chap on one of those new BMW bikes with a roof knocked on his window and told him, "we are both ahead of our time !"

Edited by Quanty

I bet the ladies love it and the office girls standing behind me have just told me a guy in his suit riding one of these to work would look "soooo cute".

Can I have a go on yours?

Yes i've seen those G-wiz cars before, also cool, but top speed 40km per hour might limit their appeal

the Tango allegedly can top 150 MPH and accelerates from 0-60 in 4 seconds

I wonder if they will ever go into mass production, i think the demand is definetly there, i'd snap one up for sure

Yes i've seen those G-wiz cars before, also cool, but top speed 40km per hour might limit their appeal

the Tango allegedly can top 150 MPH and accelerates from 0-60 in 4 seconds

I wonder if they will ever go into mass production, i think the demand is definetly there, i'd snap one up for sure

the 4 second model will cost $89,000!

Getting your company to pay for the recharge is cunning and unlikely to last long term if many people want to do that!

Hats off to you though, this is an excellent move.

I wonder how this compares to a regular bike. I mean a car/motorbike can happily travel hundreds of miles at 70mph with passengers and baggage bus uses fuel ~10p/mile (excluding wear and tear).

I push bike can travel ~10-20 miles at ~10-20mph and costs nothing to run (excluding wear and tear).

This electric bike seems to do pretty much what a regular bike does but at a monetary cost. Isn't a regular bike better?

Edited by clv101

electric bike costs 10p to charge for about 10-15 miles at 15mph, however my landlord and employer are footing the electricity bill so it is free for me. Powering a normal bike also requires energy, when i cycled properly i found i was eating more food...

Edited by moosetea

have to say all these new things are fantastic.I can see them becoming the norm in the not so distance future, what worries me though is i need a van for work, so these options are not available to me and not likely too for a good while yet, so the tax burden will eventually be placed on those not using this mode of transport in the future to make up the shortfall.

Can also see the government increasing road tax to make up its petrol tax revenue shortfall.

on the plus side there good for the enviroment, and the air quality.There cheaper to buy, there easier to park, they will reduce conjestion though will probably create there own version of the wacky races.

Bring it on

Edited by homeless

Here's some other pics and details.

http://www.sales-services.co.uk/html/baby_moto_eb4.html

Seems like a steal at £100 on Ebay compared to the retail outlets.

That thing looks like a bargin. I would love one for days I am feeling lazy. The front suspension on by bicycle costs £400 more than that! But then lets face it my bicycle goes a lot faster.

I can not wait to see the day when we are all on these crazy machines, I think increased fuel is going to lead to a lot of funny imaginative solutions.

I want one of those flying saucers they have in the Jetsons!