House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Tv Progs On Property & Reduction Are No Better

Just seen the beginning of a couple of progs on the box, which made depressing watching as usual.

Firstly 'Holiday in the sun' on C4, give them a medal for services to Fly-to-Let property ramping. A couple with hobbies including holidaying abroad & football, looking at buying an investment /holiday property in Turkey in their matching football shirts.

Immediately we are told twice that property prices are rising in Turkey at UP TO 50%. Then proceed on the tour of tacky places at up to £100K. I can watch no more.

On bbc2 is a new series 'No Waste Like Home'.

We get a morbidly obese eco-friendly presenter 'expert ' (ironic or what?) lecturing a frighteningly wasteful family with a £2500 yearly gas bill about cutting down.

Oh please cut down..... looks what you can save...etc..recycle.etc. compost.

I'm fed up with this softly, softly approach. Increasingly, its too little, too late.

Sadly sound bites like ' if you carry on, your kids will possibly die in a madmax/bladerunner apocalypse resource war' or 'consumer junkies like you will be homeless if you don't cut down on your fix as resource prices double & rise some more like oil has recently' will most likely never appear on mainstream tv seriously.

Sound extreme? ..not many would have thought oil prices would have gone up so fast, this resource crisis is real and getting worse. IMO it seems we need a recession/ depression to force the blind & ignorant to cut down.

Perhaps its going to end up as a cull, 'Don't tell the sheep they are going to be slaughtered' is a often used quote.

Maybe the intention is that they do get slaughtered, leaving more resources for those left? a conspiracy view used in reference to the 3rd world, moving to another world.

Rant over.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

These programmes have put me off watching TV altogether although Mrs C loves them, she sits in the lounge and I sit in the kitchen.

If not logged on to HPC search the web for entertainment.

This is better than TV. The Ghouls :D

Just seen the beginning of a couple of progs on the box, which made depressing watching as usual.

Firstly 'Holiday in the sun' on C4, give them a medal for services to Fly-to-Let property ramping. A couple with hobbies including holidaying abroad & football, looking at buying an investment /holiday  property in Turkey in their matching football shirts.

Immediately we are told twice that property prices are rising in Turkey at UP TO 50%. Then proceed on the tour of tacky places at up to £100K.  I can watch no more.    

On bbc2 is a new series  'No Waste Like Home'.

We get a morbidly obese eco-friendly presenter 'expert ' (ironic or what?) lecturing a frighteningly wasteful family with a £2500 yearly gas bill about cutting down.

Oh please cut down..... looks what you can save...etc..recycle.etc. compost.

I'm fed up with this softly, softly approach. Increasingly, its too little, too late.

Sadly sound bites like ' if you carry on, your kids will possibly die in a madmax/bladerunner apocalypse resource war' or 'consumer junkies like you will be homeless if you don't cut down on your fix as resource prices double & rise some more like oil has recently' will most likely never appear on mainstream tv seriously.

Sound extreme? ..not many would have thought oil prices would have gone up so fast, this resource crisis is real and getting worse. IMO it seems we need a recession/ depression  to force the blind & ignorant to cut down.

Perhaps its going to end up as a cull, 'Don't tell the sheep they are going to be slaughtered' is a often used quote.

Maybe the intention is that they do get slaughtered, leaving more resources for those left? a conspiracy view used in reference to the 3rd world, moving to another world.

Rant over.

Brilliant, intelligent post. Concur all round. Just one thing: You don't have to watch, but I assume you are concerned about all those who watch such drivel and believe it.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

Cheers for the link & advice Charlie, I wish these progs will get better as the bubble begins to pop, & frustrated when they don't. The 'waste reduction' & debt subject docs give me a bit of hope, but deal a double whammy when they fail to deliver.

I'm keeping myself busy building the bunker in the back garden though, & will be in touch with you about a sub on the veteran inheritance to finish it off soon, I've left room for your cat as agreed :D

VP, you are right of course, I did give up watching tv for a week a month ago,

but I do find it useful to see what the TV /media is telling the average joe.

As you say, I am concerned about its effects on the vulnerable masses, but Its also probably partial addiction to tv.

I do discrimate, ie. no soaps, very little sport, no gameshows, no crap dramas, virtually no ITV etc. There is still the occassional good doc or film.

Fortunately, I can still write/browse on the pc, while having the tv on, avoiding a full on, sucked in 'Telecide' effect. Hooray for Broadband (+forums & their users of course) :) .

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Would liked to have left a reply, but am now p****d and off to bed. :lol:

:D

And if you here an expat here moaning, it's usually because there's "crap on the telly"

They are right of course, but ...

1) It's crap in the UK too

2) Why bother moving to another country to watch the TV

I now "listen" to BBC Radio more than I ever did in the UK. There's some great stuff archived on the BBC sites.

And on the TV front, I watched Newsnight over the web last night.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Much better than smooth and attractive

presenters with NOTHING to say, who are on Telly because they "look right.")

And, the sadness of those who are moved on because they have to much to say and rattle the PC brigade.

The balance in the name of PC both by the media and the state which is now out of proportion.

In response to the OP, if it's now "fashionable" to be conscious about waste and excessive consumption then we should welcome that.

We can't expect TV to be some kind of all encompassing social panacea but the program on waste last night was at least a step in the right direction. It's just a shame that the format was so derivative of a thousand other programs that it demeaned the importance of the messages by putting it in the same bracket as programs such as "How clean is your house" and "You are what you eat".

Even better is the show on Channel 5 - So you think you're a property developer or something similar where muppets are losing money hand over fist in bad decisions and they're screaming when potential purchasers hand over long snagging lists because their work is pants ;)

The presenter is so funny - tells the people it's a really bad idea and then makes amusing facial expressions as they do it anyway.

thanks for bringing a smile to my face! The thought of an earnest-looking presenter delivering those lines to some run-of-the-mill obese consumerist British family amuses me intensely!

Does this mean I am evil? (I don't think so, I keep telling myself I have the human race's best interests at heart, but then again so did Adolf H)