House Price Crash Forum

York

HOLA441
HOLA442
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

Easily commutable to high-paying public sector jobs in Leeds and the surrounding area.

Pretty, desirable city with very few chav hellholes (Tang Hall being about the only serious one).

Tourist attractions boost desirability.

Fast and relatively reliable train to London (I know someone who commutes to London daily).

Even so, I'm surprised that York was barely affected by the 2007-08 reductions, except in the very low end properties.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

Easily commutable to high-paying public sector jobs in Leeds and the surrounding area.

Pretty, desirable city with very few chav hellholes (Tang Hall being about the only serious one).

Tourist attractions boost desirability.

Fast and relatively reliable train to London (I know someone who commutes to London daily).

Even so, I'm surprised that York was barely affected by the 2007-08 reductions, except in the very low end properties.

Not quite sure about Tang Hall being the only Chav hellhole but York is definitely an attractive place to be.

HOLA445
  • 4 months later...
HOLA446

This made me smile:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26894848.html

Sold in March 2009 with a lot less "fancy" interior for 200k. The PDF on rightmove says offers in region of 325k. The actual listing is less...

The owner must be in a dream world, the interior doesn't suit the type of property at all imo... Am sorely tempted to offer 100k and explain I'd want to spend a lot refurbing...

HOLA447
  • 2 months later...
HOLA448

This made me smile:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26894848.html

Sold in March 2009 with a lot less "fancy" interior for 200k. The PDF on rightmove says offers in region of 325k. The actual listing is less...

The owner must be in a dream world, the interior doesn't suit the type of property at all imo... Am sorely tempted to offer 100k and explain I'd want to spend a lot refurbing...

Oh what a surprise, now for sale at £275k.

£90k and I may consider viewing it.

HOLA449

Oh what a surprise, now for sale at £275k.

£90k and I may consider viewing it.

again for rightmove for YO1, monthly rental value unlikely more than £1000 pcm, poss a bit less

puts balanced price at about 165k, I would guess, not being closely familiar

• 5 months later...
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I look at the Harrogate side villages around York and i do see prices falling and stagnation. If you look at somehwere like Boroughbridge the place is tanking. Easingwold is no great shakes neither - all circa 10% down from peak and cuts being the order of the day.

I'm looking at Malton and villages to the north and east of York and I'm seeing a lot fewer delusional prices, and a lot of the vendors who have been on the market over a year at high prices are reducing (and chasing the market down).

HOLA4414
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4415

I look at the Harrogate side villages around York and i do see prices falling and stagnation. If you look at somehwere like Boroughbridge the place is tanking. Easingwold is no great shakes neither - all circa 10% down from peak and cuts being the order of the day.

I visit a friend in Helperby quite frequently and have noticed a gradual uptick of for sale boards going up and staying up over the last 2-3 months.