House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

Swindon Flats (new Build)

Was speaking to my ex-girlfriend not long ago, and she was telling me how she was

considering buying a 2 bed flat in Swindon (one of the nicer, newly developed areas).

Well the asking price was £139,999 but they were offering it to her for £120K

thats almost a 15% reduction, and I reckon she could negotiate that down 20%

Not sure if she's going ahead with it. I've told her to consider re-sale value/interest and

interest rate rises.

I live in a ludicrously expensive village just outside Swindon, and looked into buying in Swindon. Having come across this forum, I've very much decided against it!!

Wimpey are really struggling to sell their flats at the moment, every bus in town is carrying an advert, they're paying the deposit and £500 legal fees and running a £99 and move in scheme. But they still want £130k for a 1 bedroom shoebox - no way!!

A new build cottage in my village - slightly bigger than a good sized garage - went on the market for £205K 4 months ago...it's still there! There is hope.... :)

I live in a ludicrously expensive village just outside Swindon, and looked into buying in Swindon. Having come across this forum, I've very much decided against it!!

Wimpey are really struggling to sell their flats at the moment, every bus in town is carrying an advert, they're paying the deposit and £500 legal fees and running a £99 and move in scheme. But they still want £130k for a 1 bedroom shoebox - no way!!

A new build cottage in my village - slightly bigger than a good sized garage - went on the market for £205K 4 months ago...it's still there! There is hope.... :)

I'm curious, which village?

I'd never buy brand new again anyway, you end up paying premium which is lost as

soon as you've bought.

I'm curious, which village?

I'd never buy brand new again anyway, you end up paying premium which is lost as

soon as you've bought.

Wonderful Shrivenham, the quaint village where approximately 2% of the population were born in the area. You can get a lovely bungalow for less than £400k if you're prepared to shop around!

Wonderful Shrivenham, the quaint village where approximately 2% of the population were born in the area. You can get a lovely bungalow for less than £400k if you're prepared to shop around!

400K :lol:

Mind you I notice Highworth is quite cheap, any idea why?

Was speaking to my ex-girlfriend not long ago, and she was telling me how she was

considering buying a 2 bed flat in Swindon (one of the nicer, newly developed areas).

Well the asking price was £139,999 but they were offering it to her for £120K

thats almost a 15% reduction, and I reckon she could negotiate that down 20%

Not sure if she's going ahead with it. I've told her to consider re-sale value/interest and

interest rate rises.

I think 2 bed flats in Swindon are going to take a hammering. Thousands have been thrown up in the last few years at ridiculous prices. Plaza 21 and the new block on Princes street are a classic examples.

Why anyone would pay over 120 grand for a flat behind Woolworths when they could buy a nice terraced house for less is beyond me.

I think 2 bed flats in Swindon are going to take a hammering.  Thousands have been thrown up in the last few years at ridiculous prices.  Plaza 21 and the new block on Princes street are a classic examples.

Why anyone would pay over 120 grand for a flat behind Woolworths when they could buy a nice terraced house for less is beyond me.

Exactly my thoughts. You can get reasonably priced semis/end terraces with gardens

in West Swindon or Haydon Wick, hell even Abbeyfields if you're lucky!

Exactly where I'm hoping to buy actually, having lived there before.

400K  :lol:

Mind you I notice Highworth is quite cheap, any idea why?

Not sure why Highworth is so much cheaper than all the other villages...it is a lot bigger and has more of a mix of housing, there are estates (which there aren't in Shrivenham), prices on these are a lot cheaper. Shriv is also Oxfordshire, Highworth is Wiltshire, that might be important if you wear pastel pink shirts with a wooly-pully tied round your neck.

Shrivenham is also driven up by being walking distance from the Military College.

Rodbourne's actually an ok area. Parking's a bit of a nightmare but otherwise ok. A lot of the terraces out there have a very strange layout though, with not bathroom upstairs and the downstairs one accessed via the kitchen and suchlike. If I'm still stuck in the Swindon area in 2 or 3 years time, I'll be checking Rodbourne out for a £60-70k ;) place like that! B)

Ah but thats town/old town - I wouldn't want to live there personally - to noisy.

True enough. However, it is close to many of the comically expensive new-build flats.

Have you seen the ones on Milton Road opposite the Health Hydro? Nice 5 lane road out the front and just 110k for a 1 bed!

True enough.  However, it is close to many of the comically expensive new-build flats. 

Have you seen the ones on Milton Road opposite the Health Hydro?  Nice 5 lane road out the front and just 110k for a 1 bed!

The ones that Wayne Hemmingway described as looking like prison blocks are somewhere around there too, are they not? I wonder if his comments had any effect on the prices at all?

Do either of you guys have a feel for how the situation is in Swindon at the moment? My overall impression is that it's pretty static in town at the FTB end of the market. Out in the villages I'd say there's been a definite price drop over the last months (but everything is still 100% beyond a £20-25k earner).

I'm sort of lucky in that my rent is quite reasonable and I'm on good terms with my landlord of 3 years, so I'm quite happy to stick to renting for 2 or 3 years in the hope that the bubble has popped completely. Still looking at moving to town though, can't believe Shrivenham will ever really be in reach of people who haven't made a pot of cash from selling property elsewhere.

Do either of you guys have a feel for how the situation is in Swindon at the moment? My overall impression is that it's pretty static in town at the FTB end of the market. Out in the villages I'd say there's been a definite price drop over the last months (but everything is still 100% beyond a £20-25k earner).

I'd say Town Centre is starting to edge down.

There are some studio flats behind my house which change hands fairly frequently.

They were changing hands for about £65k last year, and at the beginning of the year people were asking £68k (although none sold). They are now being offered for £60k.

I'd say Town Centre is starting to edge down.

There are some studio flats behind my house which change hands fairly frequently.

They were changing hands for about £65k last year, and at the beginning of the year people were asking £68k (although none sold).  They are now being offered for £60k.

It's encouraging to see drops at the lower end of the market. Got to feel for people who've bought in the last year though - there but for the grace of God go I...

£60K might get you a good mid terrace in 2 or 3 years if some of the biggest doom-mongers are right - here's hoping!

Took a little run in and out of the highways and byways of Shrivenham today. I've not really been noting the EA signs before, so I don't have a baseline. But absolutely no "sold" signs and lots of "For Sales/to Lets", and, most encouragingly, EA's sharing poles outside the same houses.

The real sure sign o'the times for me will be when the little EA sub-office in the village shuts its doors - it was only open Saturdays when I first arrived 5 years ago, since then it has been open 5 mornings a week. If I see a "for sale" sign outside that particular property I'll know the crash is well under way... :lol:

if you buy a flat dont buy it for less that a 20% discount,this will take a few years to come up to street value as builders always lump big profits on top.

5 years time and i reckon you should be ok from your investment now.

but nothing below 20%

Compact and bijou...!

porch

I'm amused by the way the use the term "family bathroom" in the description for this one-bedroom shoebox. A family of dormice, maybe.

There hasn't been much activity property-wise out here recently, though I'm keeping an eye on a useful "barometer" property here

They've listed it with 3 agents for 275K...they must be pretty keen to move it, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the price fall hard if it doesn't shift in the next few weeks.

Hi Guys,

I am new to swindon, just wondering how the house prices here are and what is the advice as of now in SN1 area. I saw lot of flats for sale on the web in SN1 area, was wondering whether it is good idea to buy a flat instead of paying so much rent. I dont drive and thought it is convinient to live in town center and wanted to buy flat in town center itself. Is it better to buy in towncenter or outside, Flat or House?

Thanks guyz.

VT

Compact and bijou...!

porch

I'm amused by the way the use the term "family bathroom" in the description for this one-bedroom shoebox. A family of dormice, maybe.

There hasn't been much activity property-wise out here recently, though I'm keeping an eye on a useful "barometer" property here

They've listed it with 3 agents for 275K...they must be pretty keen to move it, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the price fall hard if it doesn't shift in the next few weeks.

I am new to swindon, just wondering how the house prices here are and what is the advice as of now in SN1 area. I saw lot of flats for sale on the web in SN1 area, was wondering whether it is good idea to buy a flat instead of paying so much rent. I dont drive and thought it is convinient to live in town center and wanted to buy flat in town center itself. Is it better to buy in towncenter or outside, Flat or House?

SN1 is a good choice, especially if you don't drive.

I don't think you'll find much support for buying at the moment on this site. Nothing is selling in the Town Centre unless it is discounted heavily. The only house near me that has sold recently was discounted 10% on what similar properties were selling for last summer.

Whatever you do though, avoid the new-build flats. You'd be much better off buying a 2 bedroom terrace if you can afford it. How much were you thinking of spending? You can rent a 2 bed house for 500pcm or a flat for 400pcm. You won't get much for that sort of expenditure if you are buying.

SN1 is a good choice, especially if you don't drive.

I don't think you'll find much support for buying at the moment on this site.  Nothing is selling in the Town Centre unless it is discounted heavily.  The only house near me that has sold recently was discounted 10% on what similar properties were selling for last summer.

Whatever you do though, avoid the new-build flats.  You'd be much better off buying a 2 bedroom terrace if you can afford it.  How much were you thinking of spending?  You can rent a 2 bed house for 500pcm or a flat for 400pcm.  You won't get much for that sort of expenditure if you are buying.

Yep, I'd echo what mhifoe is saying. The housebuilders are making lots of offers in Swindon right now - but that's their first offer! I'd definitely recommend renting for a while, keeping an eye on the market. The price of property in Swindon is high enough for a pretty small depreciation in prices to make it viable to rent if you think the market is in decline.

There are solid terrace properties to be had, that will hold their value better than the flimsy apartments - I'd advise you check out places like Rodbourne. They're walkable to town, and many are well served by buses, which are cheaper than driving anyway when you factor in Swindon's outrageous parking charges!

True enough.  However, it is close to many of the comically expensive new-build flats. 

Have you seen the ones on Milton Road opposite the Health Hydro?  Nice 5 lane road out the front and just 110k for a 1 bed!

Afternoon! I used to work in the building opposite the Health Hydro, it was a $hit hole then and it looks like they are keeping up that tradition!

I live in Shrivenham too but unfortunately it is with my parents and I'm looking to move into town. Ideally I'd like a nice 2 bed terraced house, like the one you posted on Dean Street. Can anyone let me in on how much it costs to run a house that size becuase I haven't a scooby!

Afternoon! I used to work in the building opposite the Health Hydro, it was a $hit hole then and it looks like they are keeping up that tradition!

I live in Shrivenham too but unfortunately it is with my parents and I'm looking to move into town. Ideally I'd like a nice 2 bed terraced house, like the one you posted on Dean Street. Can anyone let me in on how much it costs to run a house that size becuase I haven't a scooby!

Not sure about that house, but when I had an end terrace in Abbeymeads (1996 build) it used to cost (excluding mortgage) about 100 per month. Was billed quarterly on most stuff like water, electric and phone. Council tax was about 80 or 90 quid a month on top too. So I'd say around 200-250 quid tops.

This isn't factoring in Sky or Broadband.

This is from memory so the figures may differ. I'd assume your a terraced holds heat better than a end terrace too.

Our costs are:

Council tax: £90 (Band B)

Electric: £30 (key meter)

Gas: £20 (key meter)

Water: £15

TV licence: £10

Broadband: £10 (12 month offer, £18 thereafter)

Phone: £15

Sky: £20

Total: £210