House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tonester

Stated Reasons

If you are about to go STR it's probably not a good idea to say 'because I think this house will go down in value!'. What are good alternatives that don't require too much lying, when really that is the overriding reason?

If you are about to go STR it's probably not a good idea to say 'because I think this house will go down in value!'.  What are good alternatives that don't require too much lying, when really that is the overriding reason?

"Looking to buy a house with a bigger garden for our two young sons. We put in offers on two possibles but lost them because we hadn't sold ours. Because the market's now so slow, and we now have a buyer, we thought that we'd rent until something came along."

is what I've been using,

Peter.

If you are about to go STR it's probably not a good idea to say 'because I think this house will go down in value!'. What are good alternatives that don't require too much lying, when really that is the overriding reason?

Impending Divorce due to different views on house ownership.

Impending Divorce due to different views on house ownership.

LOL, good one.

Another one possibly - Your employer is moving you around a bit in the coming years between different branches/offices and has offered to pay for your living expenses and rather than live away from home/family/wife/live in gay lover/whatever you have decided to take their offer and move en masse wherever they put you. :rolleyes:

Probably the least negative spin you can put on it. :lol:

Cheers for the advice!

The problem I see is explaining why I'm not buying another place. Does it make much sense to move house and rent just because you haven't found a place to move into?!

Also I can imagine awkward situations with talking, even if smalltalk about imaginary girlfriends, wives, and families when I am single! Some people would find that a fun game to play I guess.

I may go with the work angle, how work has moved to London and I'm commuting but would prefer to rent nearer (couldn't afford to buy in London).

How about you're selling with no chain in order to find a buyer quicker. You are then going to rent because not sure where you want to live and want to see what area is like first. We used this -and it was true- but will only work if moving to new location.

Cheers for the advice!

The problem I see is explaining why I'm not buying another place.  Does it make much sense to move house and rent just because you haven't found a place to move into?!

Also I can imagine awkward situations with talking, even if smalltalk about imaginary girlfriends, wives, and families when I am single!  Some people would find that a fun game to play I guess.

I may go with the work angle, how work has moved to London and I'm commuting but would prefer to rent nearer (couldn't afford to buy in London).

To be honest when we STR'd last year we whenever anybody asked we just said we were moving back to London and going to stay in our parents large house so no forward chain.

When people ask it tends to be because they want to know if there are any reasons your leaving, where your going is'nt really of much consequence to them to be honest so they don't take too much notice.

Another good one is your going traveling in the near future so you are going to rent for a few months and then jet off somewhere.

Just say that you can see the Chancellor is going to be short of cash in the near future and by banking your equity you can let him have 40% of the interest to create some more much needed public sector jobs.

The revenue shortfall is going to have to come from somewhere.