House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny

Unemployment Figures Out - Very Worrying

I've just noticed that unemployment figures are very bad this month, is this the start of a recession.

=========================================

The number of people out of work and claiming unemployment benefit rose 2,800 in July, the sixth rise in a row.

Although the figure was less than predicted, the rise still marks the longest stretch of increases since the economic slump of 1992.

The total number of people out of work - including those not claiming benefits - rose by 27,000 to 1.4m.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13414494,00.html

Johnny

Hmmm... I'm not sure how convinced I am about you being "worried". Your avatar is just too laid back for this.

Let's do some maths...

With the extra £10bn that our chancellor has earned / magiced / invented by re-defining the economic cycle, we can afford:

£10bn / £25,000 gives 400,000

So that's 400,000 people employed for one year only.

Or 80,000 people for five years.

Crikey! Money just doesn't go anywhere these days!

... But with all the money I'm saving by not buying a house, I'm off down the shop now, to re-define my bi-cycle.

:lol:

Can anyone do the percentages of people who are claiming unemployment and incapacity over the number of people of age and capability to work?

I think unemployment is 1.4 mil

Incapacity is about 1.5 mil

People who can work 28 mil.

so does this not mean that every 1 in 10 people is being supported by us?? at least I would presume.

Something radical needs to shake up our benefit system.

i unfortunately rent in quite a dodgy street and have a few days off. Almost everyone in this street i have realised are at home all day and night and they are all of working age and are capable but yet dont do anything. I think its a disgrace where our tax money goes.

But they all have kids cars and houses though so that makes it ok.

the number of people classed as economically inactive, including those on early retirement, students or those with caring responsibilities, increased by 37,000 over the last quarter to 7.9 million