Salary Threshold?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Jobseekers alowance is 37 pounds per week.

So I would guess if you earn less than 37 quid a week then you should throw in the towel.

If of course you rent a property, then its somewhat different as you will be claiming your Rent in Housing Benefit.

If you earn less than £37 per week, you're working less than 8 hours per week (minimum wage is £4.85 per hour), and you can still claim some benefits.

There are unusual cases, but for the average person in normal circumstances, you're always better off working. The main exception would be very high commuting costs and a low salary.

HOLA448

if your a man with a wife and 2 kids.

you will get each month.

£800 3 bed house rent paid.

£90 poll tax

£400 2x adult job seeker benefit

£400 2x child allowance

FREE DENTISTS

FREE SCHOOL MEALS

£1790 TOTAL pcm net

= gross salary of ~£2400 x 12 = £28,800.

thats for 2 adults = £14k per year per adult.

thats most security guards, shopworkers, van drivers, labourers, office clerks.

the 3 bed council semi used to cost £280 pcm in 2001, leaving an additional £500 wage profit to spend each month. now all of these people see their wages go directly to house inflation through rising rents. makes it a pointless exercise.

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA449
HOLA4410
if your a man with a wife and 2 kids.

you will get each month.

£800 3 bed house rent paid.

£90 poll tax

£400 2x adult job seeker benefit

£400 2x child allowance

FREE DENTISTS

FREE SCHOOL MEALS

£1790 TOTAL pcm net

= gross salary of ~£2400 x 12 = £28,800.

thats for 2 adults = £14k per year per adult.

thats most security guards, shopworkers, van drivers, labourers, office clerks.

But if you are working on a low salary, you'll still get a lot of that, and for the average person the amount you'll lose in withdrawn benefits is less than the amount you earn. So you're still better off working.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
For the average person, you will only be worse off through working if you have to pay your employer for the privilege. Otherwise, it is always in your financial interest to work.

there is no point working only to see your wage go directly into house rent inflation.

the rents have doubled. where they used to have around £700 left each month, they have had to find a further £350 each month to cover rent inflation. rents in preston rose by almost 200% in 3 years. - go figure. wages didnt rise to match but housing benefit DID.

the new min wage needs to be in the region of £9 per hour to match 2001 standards.

if you work and get 14k or less - your an idiot.

throw your job, claim benefit and work on the side part time cash only.

HOLA4413
For the average person, you will only be worse off through working if you have to pay your employer for the privilege. Otherwise, it is always in your financial interest to work.

I agree in principal with this statement but there are also costs associated with working. Travel, lunch money etc. If you are on a very low income they don't have to be that much either. Anyone know how much a monthly travel card in London is these days?

There is also the quality of life issue. Most low paid jobs are very boring, unsatisfying and often stressful. The salary at which it becomes better to be on benefits if you take these factors into account is somewhat higher. (very subjective though)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I agree in principal with this statement but there are also costs associated with working. Travel, lunch money etc. If you are on a very low income they don't have to be that much either. Anyone know how much a monthly travel card in London is these days?

Travel, yes, and high travel costs are the reason why a very small number of low-paid people are better off not working. But you have to eat lunch whether you're at work or not, and a sandwich you make yourself doesn't really cost more than any other kind of lunch.

HOLA4418
if you work and get 14k or less - your an idiot.

throw your job, claim benefit and work on the side part time cash only.

Your not an idiot , you have your self respect. You are also able to put additional effort into self training. The number of people I know caught in the benefit trap is horrifying - they made such statemts in thier late teens and early 20's whilst many other mates worked at rubbish jobs and slowly sorted their lives out.

Now the ones left behind spout anti-capitalist garbage at those that have made something of their lives, totaly missing the fact that they are in fact causing more misery to this countries poor and disadvatage by taking cash out of an ever shrinking pot.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Your not an idiot , you have your self respect.

For some people surely the emotional gains from self-respect are far outweighed by the detrimental health issues, which arise through stress?

Surely for these people self-respect is too high a price to pay for deceased quality of life through stress.

If I was in that position, I would quite happily pay the price of people occasionally calling me a workshy sponger because the benefits would far outweigh the social stigma.

Now I'm not advocating that everyone on low income gets themselves fired for financial and health gains, merely throwing in some food for thought by being devil's advocate for the great unwashed.

HOLA4421
Now I'm not advocating that everyone on low income gets themselves fired for financial and health gains, merely throwing in some food for thought by being devil's advocate for the great unwashed.

In general, people are healthier if they work than if they are unemployed, even if the work is low paid and they're not much better off financially than an unemployed person. The health risks are in living on the dole, not in working.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
In general, people are healthier if they work than if they are unemployed, even if the work is low paid and they're not much better off financially than an unemployed person. The health risks are in living on the dole, not in working.

Mr Brown,

That is another way of looking at it, 'Sunny D' is not a traditional health food.

I have seen the light and the error of my reasoning,

Should I rush out and buy a house now as well?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425