House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mbga9pgf

People Starting To Really Feel The Pinch...

> > > Hi All,

> > >

> > > We are now hitting 95p a litre in some areas and soon we will be faced

> > >with paying

> > > £1 per ltr. Philip Hollsworth has offered this great idea:

> > >

> > > This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain

>day"

> > > campaign that was going around last April or May. The oil companies

>just

> > > laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt

>ourselves

> > >by

> > > refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it

>was

> > >a

> > > problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with

>a

> > >plan

> > > that can really work. Please read it and join in. Now that the oil

> > >companies and OPEC

> > > nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is

>CHEAP, we

> > > need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the

> > > marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol and diesel going up

>more

> > >each day, we

> > > consumers need to take action and the only way we are going to see the

> > >price of petrol and

> > > diesel fall is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their

> > >fuel. And we can do

> > > that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

> > >

> > > Here's the idea:

> > >

> > > For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol or diesel from

>the

> > >two biggest

> > > oil companies ESSO and BP. If they're not selling any fuel, they will

>have

> > >no choice but

> > > to reduce their prices. If this happens the other companies will have

>to

> > >follow suit.

> > > But for this to work and have an impact we need to reach literally

> > >millions of Esso

> > > and BP customers which is actually really simple to do. Keep reading

>and

> > >I'll explain how

> > > simple it is to reach millions of people.

> > >

> > > I'm sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at

> > >least ten

> > > more (30 x 10 = 300).....and those 300 send it to at least ten more

>(300 x

> > >10

> > > = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth

> > >generation

> > > of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those

> > >three

> > > million pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will

>have

> > >been contacted!

> > > If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION

> > >PEOPLE!!! Again,

> > > all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all - and not buy

> > >fuel from ESSO or BP!

> > >

> > > How long will all this take? If each of us sends this email out to ten

> > >more people within

> > > one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be

>contacted

> > >within the next 8 days.

> > > Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,

> > >please pass this

> > > message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a

> > >LITRE RANGE It's easy

> > > to make this happen. Just forward this email, and only buy your petrol

>at

> > >Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys,

> > > Morrisons, Jet etc........and boycott BP and Esso."

> > >

Do these really stupid people think its up to esso and BP to reduce fuel costs???!!

Esso and BP only make 0.3p profit in every litre sold!! so its not as if boycotting their fuel supplier is going to work.

Either way, it sure is DAMN good evidence that inflationary price increases are REALLY starting to hurt.

Well done Gordy, you have well and truly screwed it this time!

Personally I think the hauliers and agricultural businesses need to blockade Stanlow again cos this fuel hike is getting out of hand.. I do appreciate that blockading it will have nothing to do with inflation but when's it going to stop? It is now 12p a litre more than it was five years ago when they blockaded Stanlow last time and brought the country to its knees within a few days. I know it will hurt a lot of people but something has got to happen... this country is going down the pan and god only knows when all this crap is gonna stop.

When are the British going to stand up and fight rather than constantly letting this government squeeze the living guts out of us.

Personally I think the hauliers and agricultural businesses need to blockade Stanlow again cos this fuel hike is getting out of hand.. I do appreciate that blockading it will have nothing to do with inflation but when's it going to stop?  It is now 12p a litre more than it was  five years ago when they blockaded Stanlow last time and brought the country to its knees within a few days.  I know it will hurt a lot of people but something has got to happen... this country is going down the pan and god only knows when all this crap is gonna stop.

When are the British going to stand up and fight rather than constantly letting this government squeeze the living guts out of us.

We are still only paying prices at $52 a barrel and exchange rates of $1.90, in the next few weeks when the $65 prices kick in at $1.80, we'll be seeing some really good headlines, £1.00 is my estimation.

Edited by Dicky

We are still only paying prices at $52 a barrel and exchange rates of $1.90, in the next few weeks when the $65 prices kick in at $1.80, we'll be seeing some really good headlines, £1.00 is my estimation.

Unless of course you are the BBC. Maybe we can stuff children's clothes in the petrol tank and set fire to them. Product substitution and all that - that will get the CPI down. In fact maybe we can all subsitute our adult clothes and start buying children's clothes and wear those instead. :lol:

Do these really stupid people think its up to esso and BP to reduce fuel costs???!!

Esso and BP only make 0.3p profit in every litre sold!! so its not as if boycotting their fuel supplier is going to work.

They make a lot more than that. A handful of companies control the supply of oil from the well to the petrol tank.

Maybe the email comes from Shell :D

"we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers"

What kind of a dick wrote this? Let's see, we'll withhold $,euro, and £ payments to ioil suppliers for a period of 6 months.

They withhold oil for a similar period. I wonder who would be feeling the pinch first.

Twats like this should stop driving, and stop emailing.

Hello, my 1st post - I have been lurking for ages but just had to respond to the stupidity of this email. It reminds me of the ill-thought out "Stop Esso" campaign.

So people stop filling up at BP and Esso branded petrol stations (which may or may not be selling oil products from BP and Esso refineries, which in turn may or may not be refining oil produced by Esso and BP).

They still have to drive, so they still have to fill their cars up. So they go to the supermarkets for example. Throughput at supermarkets rise dramatically, so the supermarkets ask their suppliers (often independent trading houses) for more fuel to cope with the extra demand. The suppliers in turn will be forced out in to the spot market to buy cargoes from - you guessed it - BP and Esso. In fact the net result of an action such as this could actually be to push oil product prices up.

It amazes me that people are still so ignorant about how an oil company (or any large company) works. This means that they believe the likes of BP and Shell when they say that they only make 0.3p or whatever on each litre of fuel.

Yes the RETAIL arm only makes that, but the REFINING arm that sells it internally to the retail arm has made a massive margin, as has the UPSTREAM arm when it sold the crude internally to the refinery. It's an accounting trick that our obedient media never questions.

Think about it - how would they be making record profits otherwise?

"we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers"

RIGHT.

All they need to do is get a few billion people in the USA, China, and India to go along with this scheme, and it will work fine

if only it were true of housing eh? B)

Hello, my 1st post - I have been lurking for ages but just had to respond to the stupidity of this email. It reminds me of the ill-thought out "Stop Esso" campaign.

Just like to point out that the "ill thought out" stop esso campaign had nothing to do with reducing oil prices, it was about climate change and environmental destruction - Esso even denied that climate change was anything to do with fossil fuel usage etc. See Stop Esso Campaign

On another note, there must have been a substantial increase in immigration if this email needs to go to 300 million people in the UK to have an effect. Last time i looked it was about 60 million. Pernickety i know :lol:

Just like to point out that the "ill thought out" stop esso campaign had nothing to do with reducing oil prices, it was about climate change and environmental destruction - Esso even denied that climate change was anything to do with fossil fuel usage etc. See Stop Esso Campaign

Ill-thought out in the sense that it could not damage Esso.

Even if people stop buying oil in Esso packaging, Esso will still sell the same amount of oil.

When I see Sainsbury and Asda, drilling for oil, cracking the petroleum and delivering it to their retail outlets, I'll give the logic behind this bonkers plan my full support (if not the plan itself).

Buy a bike and cycle to work. Save money, environment and of course... less tax earnings for GB. :) What more do you want?

Ill-thought out in the sense that it could not damage Esso.

Even if people stop buying oil in Esso packaging, Esso will still sell the same amount of oil.

Good point - I suppose it was also an attempt to raise awareness and damage esso's image a little, possibly also their retail business a little too, but overall it would probably never have hurt their core business as you say.

On the same bones, I received a text from a 'friend', a kind of chain letter, quote:

'This is a money bee, pass this on to 6 special friends and you will be prosperous, if you don't, you will be a beggar'.

I concluded that on my tarrif I would save 72p by not forwarding on the chain letter, and throw my chances to the wind.

God, the desperation of some people! :lol::blink:

Guest Charlie The Tramp
When I see Sainsbury and Asda, drilling for oil, cracking the petroleum and delivering it to their retail outlets, I'll give the logic behind this bonkers plan my full support (if not the plan itself).

Like it Sledge. :D

With Tescos nothing is impossible these days. :rolleyes:

Given that most of the pump price is tax, these people would be far better off directing their wrath at Gordon Clown.

But then again, they're probably the same morons who re-elected him and still believe in his economic miracle...our iron chancellor couldn't be to blame for anything, could he?

If petrol prices continue to rise, would that hurt the government? Doesn't petrol contribute about 40 billion to public spending?

I would've thought a rise in price per litre = less litres consumed = less money to the tax man

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Given that most of the pump price is tax, these people would be far better off directing their wrath at Gordon Clown.

Well I gave up a long time ago.

I believe we are the only country in the world which taxes tax.

VAT is then added after duty is applied. :angry:

I stand to be corrected but elsewhere in the EU VAT is not charged on second hand goods even if the business is VAT registered.

I remember a French guy seven years ago who said to me you can`t tax secondhand the tax has already been paid.

Well I replied you don`t live in the UK, he was gobsmacked that we allow the government to get away with it. :D

Personally I think the hauliers and agricultural businesses need to blockade Stanlow again cos this fuel hike is getting out of hand.. I do appreciate that blockading it will have nothing to do with inflation but when's it going to stop?  It is now 12p a litre more than it was  five years ago when they blockaded Stanlow last time and brought the country to its knees within a few days.  I know it will hurt a lot of people but something has got to happen... this country is going down the pan and god only knows when all this crap is gonna stop.

There is nothing wrong with high fuel prices. The Government have to tax something and IMHO it's better to tax consumption of a precious and finite resource (and consequent carbon emissions) than to increase income tax, for example.

Have you ever been stuck in traffic, N/S divide? Consider this: if petrol was 10p/litre, people would think nothing of driving everywhere. If petrol is £10/litre then most people would try to avoid driving and roads would be a lot clearer than they are now. I for one am willing to pay a LOT more at the pump if it means even slightly less traffic and congestion.

What is sad about our country is that we do not protest at the high level of other taxes. I believe this is partly because people are pretty thick: how many have worked out what % of their pay packet goes to the Government?

Sorry to bring up Egypt again, but it is sort of my second home.

In Egypt the price of fuel is around 9 pence per litre. On this basis I am guessing there is little or no duty on fuel, I also think that Saudi subsidise fuel for them. The standard of living there is low of course and wages low but still fuel is a cheap compared to here and compared to other comparable consumer items and the general cost of living.

My question is that if it can be 9p per litre there, lets assume we could in theory have levy free fuel at 15p per litre here.

What kind of effect would this have on the economy? Would it make us super competitive? Would people become instantly more mobile? Would it revive our manufacturing industry?

Could the long term benefits out weigh the lack tax receipts?

I know nothing about the mechanics of this, but its an interesting concept, perhaps the ultimate in free market dynamics.

There is nothing wrong with high fuel prices.  The Government have to tax something and IMHO it's better to tax consumption of a precious and finite resource (and consequent carbon emissions) than to increase income tax, for example.

Have you ever been stuck in traffic, N/S divide?  Consider this:  if petrol was 10p/litre, people would think nothing of driving everywhere.  If petrol is £10/litre then most people would try to avoid driving and roads would be a lot clearer than they are now.  I for one am willing to pay a LOT more at the pump if it means even slightly less traffic and congestion. 

What is sad about our country is that we do not protest at the high level of other taxes.  I believe this is partly because people are pretty thick:  how many have worked out what % of their pay packet goes to the Government?

Exactly. I don't have a car because I've made a conscious decision to live where I can walk to work and get to main transport links via public transport. Why shouldn't I be better off for not adding to the number of asthma attacks among kids at the local schools?

Unfair tax is making anyone on £15k or less in the south of england pay income tax. It's not a living wage, so it's sick to see a huge chunk of money go to the government. If you're single and childless you don't even get any tax credits.