House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah Beeny!

Time To Buy......

Looking to buy more than a few acres of land. The ideal would have a river and wood to fish and build a straw bale house for the looming meltdown. Failing that we want a big area to say 'thats mine'. Daft I know.

Does anyone have any good links to do a search? An agricultural 'Rightmove' would be great.

Many thanks.

i can confirm land is even more outrageous than some houses.

watch out for 'land search' companies that want you to 'register' for a fee.

these are generally swindles. auctions are a good bet.

though i cant see it myself, there were some build open plots in devon for 7k +

no river, though woody. i was going to go live in a static and build my own, but the water and utilities were massive. septic tank ect.

you can get 10 acres of land in nevada for £1,700

Do yourself a favour and read Fred Harrison's Boom Bust 2010.

He explains how the housing market is simply a proxy for the land market.

Say you have a house on a piece of land, the house cost £50k and the land cost £50k.

Total £100k, and the place doubles in value to £200k.(100%)

It still costs £50k to build the house (roughly), so the land has effectively gone up 200% (50 to 150).

So in a boom land prices lead the wider property market.

Similarly in a bust land prices fall far faster and harder than house prices, in the 90's crash land prices fell 70% while house prices fell 30%.

I am starting to see these effects now.

A builder I know has just pulled out of buying an old house on a piece of land (he was going to flatten it and build "luxury" apartments).

Some advice for the coming bust, buy the worst house in the best area (with the biggest piece of land).

IMHO you'd have to be very brave or very stupid to buy land now.

Edited by BandWagon

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/water

but I have to say that imho, after 9 years of rising property prices, land will not be at bargain prices, no matter its location or type.

Correct. It cost almost as much as the land and house ... unless your a developer who can buy a tranch and then bully the council into approving the big application because they know they will spend years in court and then loose big time if they resist. Democracy eh?

I'd go to E Europe, like a large number of British farmers have, if I was looking for land - in my area, you're paying £5,000 an acre for the nastiest land (if you're buying a farm that is) and if you put up a straw bale house, I expect the Council would come along and demolish it.

My neighbour lives in what was originally a Ty Unnos (one - un night - nos house - Ty) - a house erected and built overnight on marginal land claimed free “as far as a stone could be thrown”. This was allowed in Welsh law (and got rid of homelessness problems) and the tradition continued after Welsh law was destroyed - right up until the 20th century. If you mention this tradition to local planners they tend to get a bit agitated. How about coming here and reviving the tradition!

'"The 'ty unnos' - the one-night house - is a potent image of resourcefulness in the face of poverty.

People believed that if you built a house overnight on common land, and if smoke rose from its roof at dawn, you could claim the house and surrounding land to the distance of an axe/stone-throw.

These structures must have been flimsy, made of turf and soil. A more permanent building would be erected later on the same site and a piece of untamed land would become a smallholding.

The pattern of 'tai unnos', the later cottages and scattered communities is one of the defining features of the Welsh cultural landscape today.'

Edited by gruffydd

Looking to buy more than a few acres of land. The ideal would have a river and wood to fish and build a straw bale house for the looming meltdown. Failing that we want a big area to say 'thats mine'. Daft I know.

Does anyone have any good links to do a search? An agricultural 'Rightmove' would be great.

Many thanks.

Sarah,

if you want a few acres, then budget anything upto £15k per acre - this for purely agricultural land, with no ability to build on. i.e. to keep ponies on !

If you want land at £2-4k per acre then you have to be buying 100 acres plus.

If you want a few acres with the potential to build a house then consider £300k per acre upwards. Upwards means towards a £1m/acre for proper development land.

These simple numbers is what is stopping everyone from doing what you want to do, including me ! Sorry to be a party pooper.

Many thanks.

Nice idea... especially the straw bale house! I've had my eye on them for a while good luck!

Sarah,

if you want a few acres, then budget anything upto £15k per acre - this for purely agricultural land, with no ability to build on. i.e. to keep ponies on !

If you want land at £2-4k per acre then you have to be buying 100 acres plus.

If you want a few acres with the potential to build a house then consider £300k per acre upwards. Upwards means towards a £1m/acre for proper development land.

These simple numbers is what is stopping everyone from doing what you want to do, including me ! Sorry to be a party pooper.

We looked into this a few years ago. We went to see a few "plots" in Bucks which were £300k a pop..for this you got a long, thin strip of someone else's garden or a small fat strip with no view whatsoever - oh apart from the road that is.

Would still consider, but not in the UK.

An agricultural 'Rightmove' would be great.

Rightmove does have a search for land option. I also use plotsearch.co.uk and gladwish land sales

(no connection with either other than as a customer)

That said, land prices with planning permission seem more bananas than house prices. Renovation seems a cheap option to get a home with land, imho.

Edited by homedaq

I too use Plotsearch.

However I have yet to see anthing that would even come close to a buy.

I think the people advertising on PlotSearch are those that are completely deluded about the price of their plot and even the Agents will not embarrass themselves to take it on at that price.

Best way to get land is to hop in the Car and drive around. Its a bit of a closed shop, and land generally is sold without being advertised especially Land for development owned by councils. The always sell it to the person who does something nice for them.