House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Potential FTB

Discounts On New Builds?

I was wondering, from those who might have experience of this, what sort of realistic discount you can negotiate on a new build?

There are 2 reasons why i ask this:

1. Looking at ourproperty.co.uk, there appear to be what i would call rogue sale prices for property i.e. 70k on a property which would normally sell for £150k - £180k, at a development in Port Marine.

2. I was recently told by a surveyor that it was possible to negotiate discounts of 25 - 30% off a new build property if you agreed to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Any ideas?

I was wondering, from those who might have experience of this, what sort of realistic discount you can negotiate on a new build?

There are 2 reasons why i ask this:

1. Looking at ourproperty.co.uk, there appear to be what i would call rogue sale prices for property i.e. 70k on a property which would normally sell for £150k - £180k, at a development in Port Marine.

2. I was recently told by a surveyor that it was possible to negotiate discounts of 25 - 30% off a new build property if you agreed to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Any ideas?

Just my opinion , but I've worked in construction for 17 years and I wouldnt have a new build as a present.

Dames :blink:

Good comment, Dames.

But please go on and explain why...

Frankly most I've seen over the last year or so are made to mediocre standards at the very best. You wouldnt belive some of the crap I've seen passed over this period , outrageous to be honest.

Have to be careful what I say but some of the other 'tradesman' in my area of work wouldnt pass a DIY standard let alone be a professional.

I switched to new build last year in order to try and take on an apprentice , fell through as it happens but thats another story. Just starting to get back into my 16yr customer base again now after moving in March , the new build suited at the time .

Anyway to put it bluntly , all bar 1 out of ten there isnt one among the gang I'd let loose on any of my customers work. The phrase piss poor comes to mind.

Nice lads though :)

It's all no nails, MDF and poor finishing in the most part , sloppy workmanship that starts at the beginning which inevitably leads to problems for every other trade down the line.

It's almost embarrasing really .

I could go on but I wont.

Maybe I'll take some photos one day. :blink:

Dames

And it typically takes a few months for the problems to start to show, by which time they have been sold. I agree with Dames -- I'd never buy a new build.

One of the fascinating aspects of these new builds hanging around on the market for so long at the moment is that a lot of them are beginning to show signs of minor defects externally (I don't know what they're like internally), which must surely make it harder to shift them? There's a trend towards chrome-effect balconies in my area, and they often look very tatty very quickly, and leave streaks of rust on the rendering where the rain has run down.

Reinforces my views.

This "sloppiness" though is seemingly prevalent in other areas.

Witness the many reports on standards of garage work, hygiene standards in food outlets, financial advice etc.

We might see those newbuilds to depreciate with time at a higher rate than older houses simply because they are not built to survive 100+ years and it will start to show in 5-10 years.

Which makes owning them even a bigger gamble.

I remember the famous 20:1 cement mix they use on some of the walls in Bradley stoke - Bristol last time round. Never forget the local councillor turning up and pushing one over on the local news.

Now that was funny , but frightening at the same time.

D :D