House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Goggles

Taxed Beyond The Grave!

Look, if you have a house you don't need to pay the bill and if you do not have a house you have to pay it. Isn't that the wrong way round, apparentley not.

oh, its becoming such a great big mess isn't it, they are trying to perform economic alchemy. It won't work!.

Nice to see that the people who are probably the poorest pensioners (ie those without houses) will be excluded.

Presumably you wouldn't be allowed to MEW your way to a comfortable retirement as well (although it would be a shame to miss the resulting bun fight between relatives, government and mortgage lender after your death).

I wonder if you can take early retirement to take advantage of this? Might be worth it.

Edited by greencat

Look, if you have a house you don't need to pay the bill and if you do not have a house you have to pay it.  Isn't that the wrong way round, apparentley not.

oh, its becoming such a great big mess isn't it, they are trying to perform economic alchemy.  It won't work!.

It puts a new spin on the 'your house is your pension' idea. If a slighly dark one!

So what happens if you defer payment on your Council Tax because you own a own - but then you go doo-lally and get carted off to a care home. The care home wants paid too - and they usually take the proceeds of your house sale (as happened to my Gran some years ago).

Doesn't add up.

When I get to retire, I am going to sell everything, give the money to my next of kin and live off the state.

evening guys

This idea is the silliest thing yet from a very desperate government.

what will happen is your council will take out loans on the strength of future earnings from dead people.They will loan so much that all the dead people will be paying is the intrest to banks ect.

This soley exists to give a one off cash injection to loccal government, there in serious trouble they know people will not put up with anymore rises.Its there last card left.

Very good point made here about the poorest of society having to pay now, also will the people that defer it be expected to pay intrest on the defered amount ?

if they dont pay intrest then the 1000 pounds bill this year say that is payable in 20 years time will be worthless, hence the poorest that pay now will again be hit hardest this way.

An absoulute disgrace, and it will never even make it past parliment.

Guest Bart of Darkness

They say that the only constants in life are death and taxes.

Trust Crash Gordon to find a way to combine the two. :angry:

This is actually good for a house price crash, where as before a younger family member would inherit the house and use it to fund other houses purchases such as BTLing the government will now take it and remove one less tinpot landlord buyer from the market, sheer brilliance Gordy bring it on.

Remember, as others have previously referenced, the Professor who believes the Government wants to move to a property based welfare system.

Is this the first manifestation?

Remember, as others have previously referenced, the Professor who believes the Government wants to move to a property based welfare system.

Is this the first manifestation?

Oh get over it... your dead guys... whats the point? Think I would like to realign my investment portfolio to take account of high taxes in hell???

I thought the baby boomers wanted to spend the inheritance anyway... rather than saving it for the kids

Edited by Elizabeth

Oh get over it... your dead guys... whats the point?  Think I would like to realign my investment portfolio to take account of high taxes in hell???

I thought the baby boomers wanted to spend the inheritance anyway... rather than saving it for the kids

that might be the point!!

taking a slightly dark tone to this,BTL sells up,spends all the money in the shops(and gets used to spending it)

couple of years later,money runs out and he starts to rack up the credit cards,by which time the government will have introduced new laws not so that siblings as well as spouses will be reponsible for the debts of the deceased....spooky,but could happen!

that might be the point!!

taking a slightly dark tone to this,BTL sells up,spends all the money in the shops(and gets used to spending it)

couple of years later,money runs out and he starts to rack up the credit cards,by which time the government will have introduced new laws not so that siblings as well as spouses will be reponsible for the debts of the deceased....spooky,but could happen!

Talk to Brainclamp it used to be that way many years ago. They could send you to prison for being the son of a deceased debtor, the debt being transfered from father to son.

In reality we do it on an international scale. The debts were incured by one generation but we are collecting it from another. Worse still the lending was done to corrupt goverments and ended up in the accounts of individuals.

Think about it, if I lend someone you know XX millions who never gave any of it to you, you would be surprised to find that I expected you to pay it back.

Edited by deano

I find this a bit sick.

You borrow to fund your life and repay it when you die!. Thats really clever, is it not.

How much are you worth dead. In 10 years you will be worth more to the state dead I bet!

And I bet inheritence tax will still apply before the council grabs their share. So in other words your children will be paying tax on your council tax bill.

And I bet inheritence tax will still apply before the council grabs their share. So in other words your children will be paying tax on your council tax bill.

It won't, debts are paid before the value of the estate is finalised.

Get this, when my friends brother was killed in an accident, the council sent him a letter asking for the council tax arears to be paid. It did not say out of his estate or anything like that.

When we looked into it they are allowed to send out two letters to see if they can get a relative to pay the money owed. They can't however enforce it from a relative, its not thier debt. These letters I read did not explain this though.

deano