House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Fish, Toasters And Clothes

Left my office for about the first time in three weeks yesterday and went on a day trip to Sunny South Wales. A few things I noticed - Cardiff all bus fares going up 15p because of the cost of fuel, tuna fish in my local supermarket up from 59p-80p a can, etc., etc., loads of signs of inflationary pressures. I used to work as a labourer on a trawler when I was younger, and fishing is v energy-intensive.

On the other side of the Celtic Sea, there's been panic buying (perhaps an exaggeration?) of toasters and other electrical items in Ireland - apparently there's some new recyling of electrical goods law that the EU is about to enforce there that's going to massively increase the cost of electrical goods. Is this law going to be enacted in the UK????

Also, bumped into my old import-export agent boss yesterday and he was being severely impacted on by the EU barrier to Asian-Chinese garments that's just been erected (blocking millions of garments which have been already been ordered by the retailers - I can just imagine the reaction of the buyers!). Clothes inflation anyone?

Edited by gruffydd

Guest Riser
On the other side of the Celtic Sea, there's been panic buying (perhaps an exaggeration?) of toasters and other electrical items in Ireland - apparently there's some new recyling of electrical goods law that the EU is about to enforce there that's going to massively increase the cost of electrical goods. Is this law going to be enacted in the UK????

From this weeks "Professional Engineer"

Electronics recycling hits a weee problem

A KEY electronics wast directive has been put on hold for the second time, raising questions about the governments ability to execute European Legislation. The Waste Electrical and Electronics Equipment (Weee) directive is intended to reduce the estimated six million tonnes of unwanted electrical goods thrown out each year in Europe.....  

The government originally intended to implement the directive this month. It was then postponed until January next year....

Browns dodgy inflation figure depends on the reducing cost of electrical and electronic goods and factors in an additional reduction due to the increasing performance you now get for your pound. I guess he could see this legislation possibly increasing costs to the customer and postponed it to delay its impact on inflation figures until he gets into number 10.

PE also mentions that the cost for cleaning up our existing nuclear powerstations has now risen by £8 Billion to £56 Billion, I wonder where he is going to find that sort of money ?

Edited by Riser

PE also mentions that the cost for cleaning up our existing nuclear powerstations has now risen by £8 Billion to £56 Billion, I wonder where he is going to find that sort of money ?

I'm sure there's some pensions funds left somewhere for him to steal from? Or maybe just sell off some more of the gold reserves?

Nope? You're right. It will come out of the tax payers pockets either via direct or indirect methods.

NO WONDER THE UK GOVERNMENT HAS DELAYED THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THIS! Apparently the charges are being passed on to consumers in most instances -

Recycling price rise on electrical goods

Saturday, 13th August, 2005

The price of most electrical goods will rise this morning amid a three-way row between the Government, retailers and the Consumers' Association of Ireland over the cost of recycling obsolete electrical goods.

Major retailers and producers of electrical goods have not responded positively to the Minister for the Environment's invitation to absorb new recycling charges, and costs of up to €40 are to be applied to goods from today.

Edited by gruffydd

NO WONDER THE UK GOVERNMENT HAS DELAYED THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THIS! Apparently the charges are being passed on to consumers in most instances -

Recycling price rise on electrical goods 

Saturday, 13th August, 2005 

The price of most electrical goods will rise this morning amid a three-way row between the Government, retailers and the Consumers' Association of Ireland over the cost of recycling obsolete electrical goods.

Major retailers and producers of electrical goods have not responded positively to the Minister for the Environment's invitation to absorb new recycling charges, and costs of up to €40 are to be applied to goods from today.

Look up WEEE to find all about it.

Guest Riser

Looks like its time to hire a few white Vans and have ourselves a nice week in Dublin B)

This is a good thing surely?

Ireland introduced a plastic bag tax recently and the volume of these eyesores ultimately blowing down the streets fell by 90%.

There is another thing you have overlooked - this applies to cars too.

I suggest that the clever amongst us realise that "where theres muck, theres brass".

Recycling is about to become big business.

Thought it already was big business! I have mixed feelings about recycling and don't think it's always a good thing - e.g. recycling paper has damaged the UK forestry sector, people who recycle glass in my locality actually do more damage than good according to a LCA carried out by an environmental organisation (the findings haven't been made public of course). It's strange that the things that should be recycled, such as low energy lightbulbs (which contain mercury - watch out if you smash one accidentally!), aren't.

Edited by gruffydd