House Price Crash Forum

£77.34 To Fill My Tank Up

HOLA441

Diesel should be banned because it's a major cause of asthma and other allergic respiratory diseases. It's not 'green' in the long run because its increased use in preference to cleaner petrol is causing a surge in the number of victims who will have to rely on using transport to get about because they're too ill to walk or cycle in heavily diesel-polluted air.

Very short-sighted. And it's making our city centre roads very unpleasant places to be indeed.

Not forgetting the extra noise pollution!

I think the increasing cost of fuel (due mainly to tax; OPEC observes the UK as having one of the highest rates of fuel duty in the world, leaching massive mark-up from their countries) is going to be a major battle line and flashpoint this year. It's just rising weekly & is unsustainable:

opecu.jpg

edit: source: http://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/publications/341.htm

Edited by pl1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Diesel should be banned because it's a major cause of asthma and other allergic respiratory diseases. It's not 'green' in the long run

Better than they were,but still pretty filthy compared to petrol! :huh:

HOLA445

my LPG car is £25 to brim. 350 miles per fill and £66 6 month road tax.

I'd go for LPG if I did enough miles to justify it!

BUT, when enough people do it, be assured, it will be taxed as hard as petrol! :huh:

HOLA446

The garage at the top of my street has increased both petrol and derv from 115.9 to 121.9 in a week.

A mile down the road it is still at 114.9. Sad when you see 114.9 as a bargain!

Be interesting to see if it eventually changes people's behaviour. So far the roads seem packed whenever I go out, so people don't seem to have any problem with the prices. At least not enough to change their driving behaviour.

One factor is the fuel efficiency in the new cars is making huge leaps nearly in line with the price increases in petrol.

HOLA447

Be interesting to see if it eventually changes people's behaviour.

It will be a very slow thing, as people with jobs still need to get to work!

HOLA448

It will be a very slow thing, as people with jobs still need to get to work!

That part is definately quite inelastic until it comes time to buy a new vehicle.

But I would say many people are 'in motion' a great part of each day. Dropping off kids, picking up kids, driving to things like Yoga classes, driving back from Yoga class. Going furniture shopping around the whole city on a weekend.. Going on a trip hundreds of kilometers away to go kayaking or hiking. Travelling to visit relatives.

I'm amazed also at how some people fill up their entire day doing all sorts of activities in a single day. All of which involve driving to each activity. I'm amazed at their energy, but also at how so much of their day is travelling to the next thing and getting ready for the next thing.. but only a short stop at each place.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Glad I no longer have a car.

I remember about six years ago, most the car's on my friend's road were having the fuel siphoned off in the early hours of the morning. We stayed up till 4am one morning, hiding in the car to try and catch the person in action, but they didn't come. The following night my friend heard something around 3am, and somebody was going after his neighbours car, so he chased him down the road in bare feet, which knackered up his feet. He didn't catch him, but the police later caught up with them.

I imagine incidents like this will be on the increase.

HOLA4411

The garage at the top of my street has increased both petrol and derv from 115.9 to 121.9 in a week.

A mile down the road it is still at 114.9. Sad when you see 114.9 as a bargain!

True.

And if when sterling goes down we will need more of it to pay for petrol, and for all imported goods, including food.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA4412

Glad I no longer have a car.

I remember about six years ago, most the car's on my friend's road were having the fuel siphoned off in the early hours of the morning. We stayed up till 4am one morning, hiding in the car to try and catch the person in action, but they didn't come. The following night my friend heard something around 3am, and somebody was going after his neighbours car, so he chased him down the road in bare feet, which knackered up his feet. He didn't catch him, but the police later caught up with them.

I imagine incidents like this will be on the increase.

Fuel stealing was rife in the early 80s when I thought it became expensive, like £2 a gallon!

That was really quite expensive back then! :huh:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Driving still feels great value compared to most public transport.

Indeed. At the moment I'm driving a huge 4.6 litre land-rover, and very often towing 3.5 tonnes - this inevitably hammers fuel economy. Despite that, I can fill up the car with £77 of unleaded and get 4 trips in and out of London which would cost me £80 on the train. At least when I'm driving the car, am guaranteed to get a seat.

HOLA4415

We have a brat car MPV for the kids - nothing extravagant, 1.6 daewoo tacuma bought 2nd hand for a 4k. Very reliable, good motor, safe etc.

At the height of the fuel 'crisis' it was costing us £70 to fill-up, it was costing us an absolute fortune in nursery/school run.

How strange that we felt "relieved" when it was 'only' costing £50 to fill up, Filled it up (114p a litre at Tesco's) and noticed it was £55 ... starting to creep up.

I too subscribe to petrolprices.co.uk!

... so Gordon where is our 'help' or 'reward' for 'hard-working families' (such as us) ... mmmm thought not.

HOLA4416

Yes, I was just thinking that the other day when I was looking at my higher council tax/food bill/insurance costs/transport costs etc.

Deflation is a real bummer.

Aren't they deflating in gold?

I though that was why you used gold as your currency de choix.