House Price Crash Forum

£77.34 To Fill My Tank Up

HOLA441

When I went to Singapore I saw that dickhead in a Ferrari! :huh:

Agree the public transport there works very well!

Do you get hammered on tax for having a motorbike?

Motorbike is much cheaper , but when it rains like crazy you pay in a different way ...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Personally I think the Singapore model is a great model for large cities in the 21st century. And I notice following development in Chian they are trying to replicate this ultra high density model. Imo its also very green, its better to have people concentrated on top of each other in many stories, and then have great areas for parks, nature reserves, trails etc..

Yup.

Its most people wanting the luxury of chaotic "interesting" housing and disorganised sprawling inefficient lives that is the 'problem'. Not expensive fuel - not that its hasn't been this expensive before BTW.

Along with too many people trying to get by on wages that haven't kept pace with inflation/deflated.

HOLA443

Yup.

Its most people wanting the luxury of chaotic "interesting" housing and disorganised sprawling inefficient lives that is the 'problem'. Not expensive fuel - not that its hasn't been this expensive before BTW.

Along with too many people trying to get by on wages that haven't kept pace with inflation/deflated.

Indeed most fuel is people driving to work, or driving on errands. In a high density place thing slike supermarkets are easily within walking distance. Along with postal office, pharmacy, electronics etc.. Along with activities like gym, clubs for kids at the rec center and so on.

Only on rare occasions like going for a hike on the weekend, or going shopping for a unique piece of furniture do people need to drive quite a bit. And that is hardly anything compared to the constant driving needed in suburban.

I started seeing it with infrastructure. For example running and maintaining electric lines from sprawling house to house costs a fortune. Running one big connection into a building with 200 units.. hardly anything per unit. Same with fiber optics. Run one big fiber cable into that 200 unit building. Versus trying to dig up mile after mile in suburbs to lay down piping.

There is this ignorant but politically powerful movement in Britain that always opposes any density. Then complains about sprawl and all the effects of sprawl.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Motorbike is much cheaper , but when it rains like crazy you pay in a different way ...

That's OK! I'm hard and from the North! :huh:

At least the rain is warm over there!

I wouldn't bother with a car in SG!

A couple I knew lived over there and paid a shedload for a 15 year old Mazda! Wife insisted!

A lot of people pay the reduced "vampire" rate and drive on red plates!

Edited by MrPin

HOLA446
HOLA447

I suppose people could consider driving "slower"; on dual carriage ways you either do 60 or 80, either get stuck behind the trucks or have someone tail gating you! My fuel economy is far better at 70 than 80, about 8-10mpg difference.

Oh, and I get 50-60mpg from my golf diesel (depending how I drive).. their isn't really a better cheap car to own which does 0-60 in less than 9secs.

What's everyone's thoughts on LPG?

Edited by Jason

HOLA448

The other half traded a 12 year old micra on the scpapage deal and got a new diesel smart car £79 per month for 3 years then option to buy, Free road tax ,85 miles to the gall £15 per month to insure and nice to drive, cheep as chips.beats walking

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Driving still feels great value compared to most public transport. Paid above £30 to fill up for the first time ever last month, when the fuel guage was just into the red, which took me over 250 miles. Have a 1.0 fab little reliable car which is a joy to drive and costs on average about £800 per annum to run for tax, insurance, MOT, repairs, RAC cover, and negligable depreciation. Motoring has never been cheaper in real terms. Certainly nothing to moan about there.

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

I got just over £114 the other day, into my nice big Global Warmer. ;)

That's how much I spend on diesel for the truck . . . in 7 months!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Noodle

yep, just under £4 a week to fill a truck... b0ll0cks! :lol:

You're thick.

I put in 750 bht a month, use it rarely, perhaps 3 hours a month.

HOLA4416

Driving still feels great value compared to most public transport. Paid above £30 to fill up for the first time ever last month, when the fuel guage was just into the red, which took me over 250 miles. Have a 1.0 fab little reliable car which is a joy to drive and costs on average about £800 per annum to run for tax, insurance, MOT, repairs, RAC cover, and negligable depreciation. Motoring has never been cheaper in real terms. Certainly nothing to moan about there.

Yes, just cost me £71 to fill the tank of my Citroen oil burner this afternoon. Indeed I slipped up, went to wrong pump and ended up having to fill up with Shell's premium deisel blend. Then again I'm beginning to think that cheap supermarket fuel is a false economy.

However I know I can go nearly 600 miles on a tank full. Indeed for the past week I've still been pottering around on cheap French "gazole."

HOLA4417

OK it was from the red line to the brim. But feck me it nearly as much as the weekly shop.

I felt similar pain a couple of weeks ago. First time above £60.

Problem is, Sterling will continue to slide downards for a few years. It will get worse, and then much worse. Britain is the country with the worst "macro-economy" in the world, if you consider both deficit and debt. :( And some people are still going to vote Labour.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Yeah, all this deflation is really starting to hurt :huh:

I mean, heaven forbid that things might get cheaper. I still hold out hope that some day, if they're screwed hard enough by all the price rises, tax increases and wage freezes, the general public just might wake themselves out of their dumbed down stupor and demand some sane monetary policies. However, looks like they are about to vote for more of this currency debasement madness as no opposition party is willing to speak out against Labour's lunacy for fear of losing votes.

HOLA4420

Ford Excursion. Lovely car, my sister had one, a massive 9 miles to the gallon in normal driving :o

Checked my own mpg this week by brimming the tank before and after a few days away. A smidgen over 45mpg for a 1.6 petrol Astra which is better than I was expecting as it's getting on a bit these days.

Edited by Frank Hovis

HOLA4421
Guest happy?

Driving conditions make a massive difference to overall consumption. My best route took me along a quiet A road (they do exist) with only 1 traffic light in 20 miles.

I now stop-start along a heavily congested motorway - mileage is about 20-40 miles less per tankful.

HOLA4422

Driving conditions make a massive difference to overall consumption. My best route took me along a quiet A road (they do exist) with only 1 traffic light in 20 miles.

I now stop-start along a heavily congested motorway - mileage is about 20-40 miles less per tankful.

Yup, mine was mostly motorways driven at an easy pace with no hold-ups so I would say 45mpg is my optimum mpg rather than what I get usually. I regarded that as a opportunity to test it.

I find short trips whack the mpg because cars these days all have this automatic choke thing. When I had a manual choke it would be going in as I pulled out from the drive, you just need a good ear for the engine and a good clutch / accelerator co-ordination.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I suppose people could consider driving "slower"; on dual carriage ways you either do 60 or 80, either get stuck behind the trucks or have someone tail gating you! My fuel economy is far better at 70 than 80, about 8-10mpg difference.

Oh, and I get 50-60mpg from my golf diesel (depending how I drive).. their isn't really a better cheap car to own which does 0-60 in less than 9secs.

What's everyone's thoughts on LPG?

its a gas

HOLA4425

Diesel should be banned because it's a major cause of asthma and other allergic respiratory diseases. It's not 'green' in the long run because its increased use in preference to cleaner petrol is causing a surge in the number of victims who will have to rely on using transport to get about because they're too ill to walk or cycle in heavily diesel-polluted air.

Very short-sighted. And it's making our city centre roads very unpleasant places to be indeed.