House Price Crash Forum

Gf Made Redundant

HOLA441

Gf just phoned to say everyone at there factory most of the staff are being layed off, orders have plumited and the factory is 150k in debt, there cutting costs. Bit of a bummer as were going on holiday in two weeks. Manager was very apoligetic, and said it wasnt her fault it was the factories fault. Ive told her its the governents fault...

She is obviously gutted, and will be looking for part time work to save a bit of money before our holiday... Her mum worked for the same place and has also been made redundant.

Obviously she shouldnt be too upset, as she has dont quite wll from the Housing boom, she is going to be getting 280k profit from STR in a couple of weeks from a house she bought with an ex boyfriend in essex!!!

HOLA442
Gf just phoned to say everyone at there factory most of the staff are being layed off, orders have plumited and the factory is 150k in debt, there cutting costs.  Bit of a bummer as were going on holiday in two weeks.  Manager was very apoligetic, and said it wasnt her fault it was the factories fault. Ive told her its the governents fault...

Much sympathy to your girl, it may not seem it right now but in the future she may see it as a blessing in disguise when she finds a better job in a growing area rather than a sector that is contracting.

But why is it the governments fault, did they own the factory, or are they obliged to bail out every failing business? As much as it is that nobody in the UK can survive on 27p an hour like Chinese works, you could blame cheap overseas labour more than New Labour.

HOLA443
Much sympathy to your girl, it may not seem it right now but in the future she may see it as a blessing in disguise when she finds a better job in a growing area rather than a sector that is contracting.

But why is it the governments fault, did they own the factory, or are they obliged to bail out every failing business? As much as it is that nobody in the UK can survive on 27p an hour like Chinese works, you could blame cheap overseas labour more than New Labour.

No but they could have stopped the HPI that has caused everyone to cut back on spending. Everything was fine and dandy up until recently, and the problem hasnt been caused by chinese factories this time...

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Redundancy eh - ah well. When given the choice recently as to which housing price crash you wished for you, Moosetea, voted option 2.

Remember??

Which house price crash? (See the Classics thread)

2 Options which would you prefer?

Option 1:

Consumer confidence crumbles

Savings increase

MEW decreases

House Prices fall 15% over 2 years

House prices continue to fall 1 - 2% a year for the next 5.

Interest rates approx 4 - 6% during this time (ending at 6% in 7 years time)

Option 2

Consumer confidence crumbles

Savings increase

MEW decreases

House Prices fall 15% over 1 1/2 years

Rampant Global inflation in 2006 means interest rates increase from 5% to 8%

You have a 15% chance of being unemployed

Unemployment soars due to global competition

House prices fall another 20% 2006 -2008.

House price crashes aren't nice.

Edited by Ignorant Steve

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Er...

It was an annacdote, and yes i agree its a good thing its what i voted for, its nice to see a things up close and personal, things are starting to happen :) (shame its so close to a booked holiday). I find it quite intersting everything was fine and dandy in the factory until recently, it just backs up what everyone else is saying....

However i am blaming the blame of HPI squarly on the government, even though she has benifited from it in the short term...

For the record ive never voted conservative...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4410
No but they could have stopped the HPI that has caused everyone to cut back on spending.  Everything was fine and dandy up until recently, and the problem hasnt been caused by chinese factories this time...

The market will correct itself, and would have done earlier, the government didn't kick off a boom, however the government is culpable for adding fuel to the fire like inflationary £60k handouts to 'key workers' (I suppose 'un key' private sector workers on the same wage do jack apart from generate real wealth, pay tax & NI etc).

Now we have 'Homes For All' and shared ownership, planning regulations aimed at putting as much cattle on each sq/acre as possible and releasing no real land for development. Not forgetting Prescotts handful of token £60k boxes built on old waste dumps and firing ranges.

Yup, nobody wants to be seen as bringing the party to an end, they have to be seen as doing something even when the music stops.

Ohh, and the ever rising stamp duty revenues came in so useful.

HOLA4411

280k in the bank thats near 20 years work for a lot of people, cant saw i have much sympathy for this one, but the person that wasint lucky enough to profit from the housing boom and is paying some btl guy half there wages in rent i realy do.

isint 280k a lot of money anymore ?

HOLA4412
The market will correct itself, and would have done earlier, the government didn't kick off a boom, however the government is culpable for adding fuel to the fire like inflationary £60k handouts to 'key workers' (I suppose 'un key' private sector workers on the same wage do jack apart from generate real wealth, pay tax & NI etc).

Now we have 'Homes For All' and shared ownership, planning regulations aimed at putting as much cattle on each sq/acre as possible and releasing no real land for development. Not forgetting Prescotts handful of token £60k boxes built on old waste dumps and firing ranges.

Yup, nobody wants to be seen as bringing the party to an end, they have to be seen as doing something even when the music stops.

Ohh, and the ever rising stamp duty revenues came in so useful.

You sound peeved.

Didn't you buy recently, you don't sound like a newly house-wed? Are you having second thoughts?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Not the sauce factory in worcester ??

hehe no :P (altho didnt they also recently annouce redundancies?)

And yes, 280 is a stonkingly large amount of money, its going to be difficult to stop her spending it/helping her family (unless its tied up in a house or something else)...

She isnt in a line of work at the moment, she never went to uni but moved back to her mums after spliting with her ex and was just doing shifts temoraroly until she found somthing better. She used to work in a hospital (something to do with nursing, not entirly sure wot as i wasnt with her at the time) Im sure this will work out to be a good thing and move her into something a bit more permanant.....

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

morrissey-in_pictures.jpg

Girl friend made redundant I know, I know it's seeerious,

Girl friend made redundant I know, I know it's serious,

Do you really think she'll pull through?

Do you really think she'll pull through..ooh-hoo..ooooo?

you know I'd hate anything to happen to herrrr........

Sorry!