House Price Crash Forum

Inflation Hits 2.3% !

delite1

HOLA441
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well it looks like the government are even more desperate to borrow your money.

Now TWO One million pound prizes every month on the Premium Bonds and not the extra sales to warrant it. :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest muttley
Well it looks like the government are even more desperate to borrow your money.

Now TWO One million pound prizes every month on the Premium Bonds and not the extra sales to warrant it.  :)

Fewer fifty pound prizes though,Charlie.

Also,doesn't August fall in IRs mean fewer prizes?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Fewer fifty pound prizes though,Charlie.

Also,doesn't August fall in IRs mean fewer prizes?

Not if millions of savers increase the sales.

I think a few years back after massive spending spree one Christmas there were large withdrawals of ISAs and cashing in of bonds, probably to pay off their spending spree. ( They did pay their debts then :D )

The prizes dropped from 25 pages to 13 pages on teletext and have slowly returned to past levels. More bonds equals more interest in the pot and more prizes. <_<

My wife asked me about premium bonds yesterday, did the sums and worked out an approx achievable interest rate, still didn't stack up really but maybe do it for the fun, then thought of Sweet Sugar and thought no chance.

The return from my and Mrs C`s bonds have returned an average 9% the past five years. In line now for one of the larger prizes. :D

Edited by Charlie The Tramp

HOLA447
Not if millions of savers increase the sales.

I think a few years back after massive spending spree one Christmas there were large withdrawals of ISAs and cashing in of bonds, probably to pay off their spending spree. ( They did pay their debts then  :D )

The prizes dropped from 25 pages to 13 pages on teletext and have slowly returned to past levels. More bonds equals more interest in the pot and more prizes.  <_<

The return from my and Mrs C`s bonds have returned an average 9% the past five years. In line now for one of the larger prizes.  :D

Well hopefully we'll have a bit of luck ourselves , just done the full monty in Mrs Dames name.

Here's hoping.

Dames :0)

HOLA448
HOLA449

Why has there been so little serious discussion in the mainstream media over the past few months along the lines of this thread?

I know that this is a question that has been asked on this board many times but I am reminded of it once again today.

Is it:

i) the 'dumbing-down' of media outlets to sell product?

ii) vested interests protecting truly important information and analysis for their own reasons?

iii) the media uncritically buying GB's 'economic miracle' thus inadvertantly proving the existence of a bubble economy?

iv) the trend for media outlets to parrot each other?

v) the desperate need to simply believe everything is OK?

vi) laziness?

vii) incomptence?

When the whole shaky edifice falls down I hope it will take some of the above with it.

Edited by Starcrossed

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Higher inflation will probably be used to justify a salary and expenses increase for our illustrious MPs.

Because they are worth it.

Afterall, if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Good point, when are MP salaries reviewed, quick quick send the inflation basket of goods bloke to M&S, get rid of that sh1tty cheap Co-op bread thats been keeping the figure down for the last year.

Edited by Dicky

HOLA4413
Guest muttley
Higher inflation will probably be used to justify a salary and expenses increase for our illustrious MPs.

Because they are worth it.

Afterall, if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

The Unions will have noticed the rise too.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Odd though, back in the 70's and 80's, inflation of only 2.3% would have been conidered an economic miracle :D

ABB

The difference was that the inflation figures then were accurate. :D

In comparison with today the true inflation figure IMHO is around 5%. :(

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest muttley
Odd though, back in the 70's and 80's, inflation of only 2.3% would have been conidered an economic miracle :D

ABB

Inflation was high during the 70's and 80's because of the large number of Baby Boomers reaching the work force.As this declined so did inflation (despite what the politicians tell you).The current trend is for low inflation.

HOLA4420
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Why is this?

I'm not challenging your opinion...Just don't understand why and would like to.

Everything then was thrown into the pot, the true cost of living, not the selective parts they now use.

HOLA4421
Why is this?

I'm not challenging your opinion...Just don't understand why and would like to.

ITs so the government could lower IRs, cause a huge spending spree, and create an atmosphere of everything is alright. Its achieved by them not accounting for the major cost increases (taxes, council tax etc) instead focusing on grapes. The weighting and importance of some products, such as petrol, are far below what they should be. overall, the level of inflation cant be hidden forever...

its going to bite them sooner or later, they just were not betting on getting in for a 3rd term is my theory, then they could have blamed the blues for whatever maelstrom followed the election.

HOLA4422

abelard.org has awell reasoned and simple measure of inflation:

% change in GDP- %change in (M4?) money supply

works out to around 4.7% (sic).

I'm not so sure about the baby boomer theory, I thought the peak was in1964 for births

(when I was born - God I'm old), which would put the peak hit on the workforce at 1984 ish.

But I remember high inflation right from the early 70's....perhaps more

to do with oil prices and the cold war?

Anybody remember the sugar crisis?

ABB

Edited twice, once for typos, once after checking the maths :D

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Inflation was high during the 70's and 80's because of the large number of Baby Boomers reaching the work force.As this declined so did inflation (despite what the politicians tell you).The current trend is for low inflation.

So it wasn`t the two Harold`s, Ted`s, and Jim`s fault after all, and they all left us not knowing it. :rolleyes:

HOLA4424
Guest muttley
I'm not so sure about the baby boomer theory, I thought the peak was in1964 for births

(when I was born - God I'm old), which would put the peak hit on the workforce at 1984 ish.

But I remember high inflation right from the early 70's....perhaps more

to do with oil prices and the cold war?

ABB

Wasn't unemployment around 3 million in 1984?

HOLA4425
Anybody remember the sugar crisis?

Edited twice, once for typos, once after checking the maths :D

Yes I do, I was in my 1st year at school and we couldn't gob stoppers for love nor money, there was a real panic on, dealers were selling them on street corners for £10 a pack. I'm so glad those days are behind me now.