House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

How Long Could You Live For?

Maybe nosey, or just interested.

How many months could you live for on your savings, if you lost your job today and had no income.

That is to pay your mortgage/rent, CT, bills, food etc.

Recon, I could last 12 months or so.

What about you?

How many months could you live for on your savings, if you lost your job today and had no income.

What about you?

Stuff I have saved right now, I could live comfortably for about 5 years if I was flexible about the location (cheaper parts of UK, Europe), 10 years if I was really flexible (move to the Arab world or Latin America).

Hoping to double current savings in about 18 months.

frugalista

Stuff I have saved right now, I could live comfortably for about 5 years if I was flexible about the location (cheaper parts of UK, Europe), 10 years if I was really flexible (move to the Arab world or Latin America).

Hoping to double current savings in about 18 months.

frugalista

I'm with you Frugalista, trying to save as much as I can and maybe take it outside UK to spend. Happy Days ;)

I dont think you will get a true picture of whats really going on. Most HPCers wil have considerable savings and last longer than Joe Public.

I know someone on 35K a year who has no savings and spends it all each month(yes they are renting too no intention of buying) - very worrying if their pay was witheld for just one month...

I guess some people would run back to the safety of their parents when the turd hits the fan.

Edited by trev

2 years if I was careful but to be honest if I got the sack the missus and I would probably move to her home country (Malaysia). Savings should stretch a bit further out there (especially as she is eligible for a special account that has 10% interest rate). Probably possible to live off the interest.

Edited by greencat

I can’t go back and live with my parents they’re both dead. Perhaps I should commit suicide and ask them to put me up wherever they are. Might be a bit hot, but more comfortable than having a mortgage like a milestone around my neck.

I'm in my early forties and my, similarly aged, wife and I have investments that cover about 80% of our annual expenses.

It would all depend on inflation but I reckon even using some of our capital each year, our money would outlast us. Especially, as we wouldn't need a 3500 sq ft house once the children leave home. So we could downshift and release more capital.

Oh, and if the kids don't leave home we've got rental income once they start earning.

The trick is… don’t use your savings to live off!

Invest in a very expensive collectable antique… something?

And get on-board NuLabour’s ‘chav-charity’ scheme.

For the sufferers of ‘ergophobia’. (Fear of work).

Additional: joke:

The Government have approached the Chav's to ask them if they would like

(on joining a single currency with europe)

to have the currency of the country renamed.

The Chav's have replied that they prefer to keep is as the Giro.

Edited by burnt before

I think I could mange around 10 years in this country. If I moved and rented a small holding (grew crops etc) in Southern Poland I could probably manage for the rest of my life.

I have just enough to get cryogenically frozen, so I could probably last several million years. Failing that, I'll return to the forest, true home of the sasquatch.

I dont think you will get a true picture of whats really going on. Most HPCers wil have considerable savings and last longer than Joe Public.

I know someone on 35K a year who has no savings and spends it all each month(yes they are renting too no intention of buying) - very worrying if their pay was witheld for just one month...

I guess some people would run back to the safety of their parents when the turd hits the fan.

I agree. Most people I know dont have any savings. My husband earns £30k a year, we rent and we have no savings. I dont work (I am a mature student) and we have a child, so we dont have much left to save each month. However we do pay cash for everything, no credit, which I think is a rarity.

Most of my friends have household incomes between £30k and £60k, and are in their early 30s. None of them have any savings and most also have considerable debt (£30k+). My friend owes me £60 and said I would have to wait till the end of the month as she was a bit skint. Her husband earns £40k and she is a teacher!!

Please dont take this a boasting, just answering...

I havent had a proper job for more than 8 years.

I have been able to grow my capital, and maintain an improving lifestyle,

by focussing on researching, and investing my own capital.

Luck has also played a role in my success

Doesn't that mean you're essentially self employed?

Frankly how can you define a "proper job"?

If I had to rely on my savings and lets say for the sake of argument the situation looked inedfinite, then I'd certainly take my savings out of the UK, most likely to Slovakia ( pretty girls, cheap beer, no chavs ) where I could live indefinitely off the dividend income from my stocks and bonds.

If I was forced to stay in the UK by NL movement and currency restrictions ( remember the 70's ) then I'd say about 10 years. Providing a retrospective savings tax of 90% isn't applied to anyone with savings >£20k when the economy implodes. :ph34r:

Probably 2 or 3 years in the UK, maintaining all outgoings at current levels (holidays etc). But after the first couple of months of being pleased with myself for having savings to live on, I reckon it would be no fun at all watching the balance slide every month (especially as this is my STR money and not 'real savings'.

What about you?

Applying the 5% rule would cut my after-tax income by about 25%, which I would immediately do. At that rate I could last indefinitely unless anything dramatic happened to my investments.

If I wanted to maintain my current after-tax income (300 pounds/week, which goes further in Australia than in the UK), I would last until my Superannuation kicked in 5 years from now. The combination of super and remaining investment income would mean virtually no change from then on in real terms.

I am not going to consider economic doomsday scenarios (although my long-term planning does take Peak Oil into account) because I figure if any of these come to pass all bets are off anyway.

Ah, another one of those threads in which people talk up the lengths of their d!cks.

Grow up you w@nkers.

Losing Faith, yes I agree that the original question was nosey BUT you neither needed to read OR respond to this thread and by the way some of us on HPC don't need to talk up the length of our d***s, as we don't possess one! :rolleyes: And no, I'm NOT envious.