House Price Crash Forum

Rics

delite1

HOLA441
HOLA442

"The number of people registering as potential home-buyers with estate agents rose for the second month in a row in July in a sign that activity in the housing market could have passed its trough."

Wonderful, sales are picking up, this is good news for the whole country. But hang on a minute, how does this July compare with last July?

"18 per cent lower than last year"

Oh!

HOLA443
HOLA444
"The number of people registering as potential home-buyers with estate agents rose for the second month in a row in July in a sign that activity in the housing market could have passed its trough."

One of whom was me, checking out one or two single bed flats that have been for sale for at least 8 weeks and offering what I believe to be their real value. None have been accepted yet ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
The number of people registering as potential home-buyers with estate agents rose for the second month in a row in July in a sign that activity in the housing market could have passed its trough.

Lets look more closely!!

When you go to an EA and place your property on the market you generally register as a buyer, they will try and talk you into it, they need buyers!!

What do you do? just to shut them up you register as you know you can cancel if you want to.

So to me this means that more instructions to sell have been made for the past 2 months, didn't rightmove or someone report this?

HOLA447
RICS just had their man spinning on the ITV new channel......."market showing recovery" blah blah........usual one-sided interview :angry:

They were on Today this morning, too, saying that it's not boom and bust like in the past, more a balancing of the market, FTBs will be disappointed because falls not going to be as great as they'd like so if you were holding off buying until the autumn (what?) there was no point and now is a good time. Also, billed by the business presenter as 'the housing market is showing signs of recovery' - in the early ad for it and then when introducing the RICS guy. The whole thing was a shameless exercise in anxiety-creation. FTBs need HPC!

HOLA448

its amazing what some so called professionals will put their name to

Just look at this headline from 1989, just when the last crash was beginning to take hold:

"The Times

TUE 03 JAN 1989

Agents optimistic about house prices

A leading national firm of estate agents believes a collapse in the property market in 1989 is highly unlikely. Strutt and Parker has completed a review of 1988 trends, dominated by panic buying in the summer, then a London-led slowdown in the last q..."

and just look how many times halifax appears with its optimistic forecast, even after prices have fallen for several years!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/FAQ-1989-...papers-said.php

HOLA449
They were on Today this morning, too, saying that it's not boom and bust like in the past, more a balancing of the market, FTBs will be disappointed because falls not going to be as great as they'd like so if you were holding off buying until the autumn (what?) there was no point and now is a good time. Also, billed by the business presenter as 'the housing market is showing signs of recovery' - in the early ad for it and then when introducing the RICS guy. The whole thing was a shameless exercise in anxiety-creation. FTBs need HPC!

Better get used to it, all through the last crash VI were continuously saying the housing market had reached the bottom even though it had a good way to go.

HOLA4410

A week is a long time in the property market

Last week the London Bombings had an effect. This week they didn’t.

Last week drop in interest rate had done little to revive the market, this week they have.

So much goes on in 7 days …or less.

HOLA4411

I think it will be very difficult to get a good idea of what prices are doing until turn-over recovers.

That is easier said than done. Turn over will be difficult to generate with so many people now seeing the light as it were.

Nonetheless, once turn over ticks up, it'll be fun to see nature take its course.

HOLA4412
RICS just had their man spinning on the ITV new channel......."market showing recovery" blah blah........usual one-sided interview :angry:

These market recovering statements really crack me up. According to the same people nothing was wrong in the first place so what is it recovering from exactly... priceless.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Hmm looking through the headlines it appears as though reporting was very different back then. I notice it seems to often be reported as a bubble yet how often do we here the media report the current housing state as a bubble? I must say some of the headlines did seem a bit more bearish back then..i havnt looked at any great detail though.