House Price Crash Forum

7000 New Homes For North Aberdeen

The McGlashan

HOLA441

Public consultation "Charette" underway at the AECC.

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/xev_EventDetail.asp?id=2611

The Scottish Sustainable Communities Initiative (SSCI) plans to build up to 7000 new homes to the North of Aberdeen. They have engaged the services of Planner/Architect Andres Duany, the guy who built the town used as the set for that Jim Carey film "The Truman Show".

One of the published aims of the "Charette" is to "demonstrate that the delivery of high-quality sustainable forms of new development is achievable within reasonable timescales" and "serve as an inspiration to future development in Scotland."

Charette whitepaper here:

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=28256&sID=2991

Well worth a read.

The bid document from the Grandhome Trust which has won this backing from SSCI is here:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/212607/0083276.pdf

I never thought I'd ever feel sort-of proud of our city fathers. This is the first time I've ever noticed them leading rather than following. Usually, on major planning issues, our local authority demonstrates that they tend to be 15-20 years behind the curve of best practice.

7000 new homes, though. Wow.

How will that affect the balance of supply and demand? To ask the question is to answer it.

Edited by The McGlashan

HOLA442
HOLA443

Indeed it is. Formatine Mega City.

oldmeldrum/balmedie/ellon/potterton all earmarked for a hefty increase in size.... wonder what additional services are going to be provided.... very little i would imagine

We can only hope that the new attitude to development shown by the SSCI will permeate through to these new Formartine developments.

From the Grandhome proposals:

attractive, healthy and accessible environments in which people can settle, work and enjoy a high quality of life whilst reducing their carbon emissions. These sites have been recognised as having the potential to create communities which are sustainable, and which meet people’s needs and aspirations today, protect the unique natural and built heritage of our country and contribute to a more sustainable future.
demonstrating a level of innovation and quality of design which will lead to the creation of successful places and serve as an inspiration to future development in Scotland
creating opportunities for residents to live healthier, more active and environmentally responsible lifestyles
local neighbourhood centres also include employment workspace, to provide for professional an community services with in flexible start-up and grow space, supporting local enterprise. This is a key ingredient of the sustainability concept and provides a niche inadequately catered for .... at present
in addition to housing, the new communities will include community hall, local shops and health provision, creche and childcare. Open space for play, leisure and relaxation is also planned into the overall structure, as are cafes, restaurant and local pub.
unlike most neighbourhoods, Grandhome will enable a range of lifestyles by different age groups and needs sectors, from pre-school, to retirement and even nursing home provision.
the layout is planned to enable safe walking and cycling in calmed areas and Home Zones. This is to prioritise convivial living and comfortable access to local facilities, clustered around the neighbourhood hubs in accessible locations.

Fine words. In time, we'll see how they translate to action at ground level.

(I'm really trying very hard not to by cynical. Let's hope we're not let down again.)

HOLA444

sorry i'm north Aberdeen biased

Kincardine and Mearns

stonehaven/newtonhill/portlethen also heading for BIG increase in size. (Laurencekirk is looking like it could quadruple in size - still at least that'll mean they'll get the flyover the A90 that they need)

give it a few years and all the 'space' within the AWPR bypass will be proposed for future development.

all local forward planning pdfs

i did come across a .pdf with the proposed number of houses to be built in each area, each year... for the next 10 years!!! - didn't bookmark it and can't find it now :(

small anecdotal we were considering on putting in an offer on a house last year (with 'open country side views') but on finding the future development plans we scratched that pronto - no way am i paying an excess for a couple of years of 'open views' followed by n number of years of building work .... only to be left with a view into someone's *ahem* 'Executive' kitchen.

wonder how many people in aberdeenchestershireland are actually are aware of these proposed housing plans... not many i would wager