House Price Crash Forum

I Just Saved £55 On My Phone Upgrade!

libitina

HOLA441

I want to upgrade my phone to a specific model. I did my research, found the cheapest and got O2 to drop their price of £100 to £49 and 2 months free line rental. Just like that! No quibbling or anything.

Must say thanks to whoever it was that posted the link for the money saving website. That gave me the courage to barter. :D

HOLA442
I want to upgrade my phone to a specific model. I did my research, found the cheapest and got O2 to drop their price of £100 to £49 and 2 months free line rental. Just like that! No quibbling or anything.

Must say thanks to whoever it was that posted the link for the money saving website. That gave me the courage to barter.  :D

Good for you. Us brits don't do enough bargaining. After spending a month in South East Asia a few years ago (where you bargain the price down and down until the seller is on the point of letting you walk away), I decided to give it ago here.

Most places it will not work - as the sales assistants have little power to discount - but computer fairs and the like are fair game. I got a £100 off a 2nd hand laptop once (which was already cheap at £400).

HOLA443

Must say thanks to whoever it was that posted the link for the money saving website. That gave me the courage to barter:D

I'm not wanting to be critical here, but bartering is buying something without money, i.e. directly exchanging goods for other goods.

Haggling is what you did. You haggled the cost down.

I've noticed that lots of people say "barter" when they really mean "haggle". I'm genuinely interested as to why this is. Does anyone know why these terms are routinely confused? Does "barter" have multiple meanings in some parts of the country?

Well done anyway, on your "haggle". I might try it too as my phone is well past needing replaced. :)

HOLA444
HOLA445
How much is your annual line rental/conbined bill going to cost you?  Line rental seems to have balloned recently, and seems to greatly outweighs the cost of mobile phones.

Still £21.

aclwalker, I'll consider myself told. :)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Good for you. Us brits don't do enough bargaining. After spending a month in South East Asia a few years ago (where you bargain the price down and down until the seller is on the point of letting you walk away), I decided to give it ago here.

Most places it will not work - as the sales assistants have little power to discount - but computer fairs and the like are fair game. I got a £100 off a 2nd hand laptop once (which was already cheap at £400).

While I agree we don't do enough in terms of haggeling, it's also true if you go to a market in say London and ask the stall holder how much a pound of apples is he won't say £15.

It's assumed both by seller and buyer in this country that the price is the price and it hasn't been plucked out of the air just to get the negotiations started as it is in many other areas of the world.

HOLA449

We all love a bargain but always bare in mind that this price pressure is what is driving UK jobs abroad.

Many on this forum state UK employees are entitled to all manner of work benefits and rights and in addition demand a decent salary. This doesnt sit well with our desire to pay the minimum possible price for everything.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm on a roll now. I think I'll try to get Curry's to sort out my washing machine for free for me. It's only 18 months old and has recently developed a VERY LOUD spin cycle.

I'll try quoting:-

YOU HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO:

CHOOSE REPAIR, REPLACEMENT, PARTIAL OR FULL REFUND, OR COMPENSATION (IF A FAULT OCCURS IN 6 YEARS) AND IT IS REASONABLE FOR GOODS TO LAST THAT LONG.

Anyone tried something similar? What result did you get?

HOLA4412

Must say thanks to whoever it was that posted the link for the money saving website. That gave me the courage to barter.  :D

Well done Libitina, an excellent outcome, proving its always worth trying to haggle. :)

Never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea that you can even try this..nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that

Thanks also for the website link to the money saving suggestions, I'll save that one for when I get home and have a good read.

HOLA4413
CHOOSE REPAIR, REPLACEMENT, PARTIAL OR FULL REFUND, OR COMPENSATION (IF A FAULT OCCURS IN 6 YEARS) AND IT IS REASONABLE FOR GOODS TO LAST THAT LONG.

You'll be dealing with mastercare for months, after which they muck about for ages attempting to repair the item. THEN go back to the initial place of pruchase after 60(?) days from the initial issue was raised and then try asking. With luck you can get a new item.

Good luck!

HOLA4414
Guest horace

>>> aclwalker

Your post # 3 refers.

I to have noticed the standard of both written and spoken English is changing.

It amazes me to hear and read things such as "Landlords` RENTING OUT when what is meant is "Landlords` letting".

horace.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Archived