House Price Crash Forum
Free Thinker

Advertising Sold Stc Properties

I've noticed a new (to me at least) trick that a local EA is employing.

Last week they seemed to have a much larger than usual number of properites advertised in the local rag that are sold STC. They normally only have 1 or 2 but last week there were 5 or 6.

This week they had a full page (about 20) of properties advertised as sold STC. Is this a trick to show that properties are still selling? Or are they worried that buyers are more likely to pull out so they decided to continue to advertise these properties?

Has anyone else seen EAs doing the same thing?

I've noticed a new (to me at least) trick that a local EA is employing.

Last week they seemed to have a much larger than usual number of properites advertised in the local rag that are sold STC. They normally only have 1 or 2 but last week there were 5 or 6.

This week they had a full page (about 20) of properties advertised as sold STC. Is this a trick to show that properties are still selling? Or are they worried that buyers are more likely to pull out so they decided to continue to advertise these properties?

Has anyone else seen EAs doing the same thing?

Just the other day ive seen alot of properties go STC, now im not sure if they are half expecting them to fall through, if they are expecting a potential buyer to offer more and guzump, if they are (like you suggest) just giving false impressions of a moving market.

Not to sure, but do what im doing and keep an eye on them, some ive seen STC for over 2 months. Im expecting them to pretty much all be relisted at lower prices.

Impossible to know for sure - however I can say that one of the areas I've been monitoring shows that out of about 25 pages of property if you turn on the "Show SSTC" option then about 4 properties (not pages) do indeed show as SOLD STC.

However, those have been the same 4 properties for the last six months.

Those are properties priced substantially above current market prices (e.g. they have been on there for so long that they are 'last years' prices) and given that the ones at this year's prices aren't shifting, I do have my suspicions.

Surely you could describe *all* property as being SSTC?

Rather like my lunch, 'eaten, subject to consumption'.

Rightmove now also have STC on their website. Can't say I noticed it before. I did wonder when they'd actually sold, this week, last month, 3/6/12 months previously.

I'm sure theres no legal reason why they couldn't do that, especially if it makes them look busy...

This is actually illegal. Romans from wokingham where convited in Aug 2003 for putting sold signs up on properties, that where not being sold.

Is there anyway I can get hold of this information? dont't soppose you have any sort of link or know of one. Many thanks.

Impossible to know for sure - however I can say that one of the areas I've been monitoring shows that out of about 25 pages of property if you turn on the "Show SSTC" option then about 4 properties (not pages) do indeed show as SOLD STC.

However, those have been the same 4 properties for the last six months.

Those are properties priced substantially above current market prices (e.g. they have been on there for so long that they are 'last years' prices) and given that the ones at this year's prices aren't shifting, I do have my suspicions.

you mean i.e, not e.g

e.g means for example

i.e means that is to say

ask yourself why would a buisness still advertise something they have already sold, especially when they have tons of new stuff flooding in daily.:P

im thinking here surely the home owners are privy to this ssc scam, they must be willing participants in it, so whats the reason behind it all?

The local paper for Swindon also had an advert like this a couple of months ago. A full page of properties all sold, with the message "26 properties sold in May" (or something similar). However, I have not seen any since.

What I do find kinda funny is when the page has the odd sold property included and when you look closely there is no price with the picture. Strange that all the other pictures have a price under them.

I only meant the sold signs are illegal when the house hasn't been on the market. For the May 2005 which

• In August 2004, Romans Estate Agent in Berkshire was fined £3,000 for putting up 'sold' signs outside homes that were not really for sale. Two company directors and a further employee of Romans agreed to have the signs erected at their homes to help boost business. Worryingly, their defence lawyer claimed that putting 'sold' boards outside unsold properties was a ploy used by dozens of estate agencies

How about this trick:

Estate Agents leaving houses on their website with SSTC stickers, that had actually been sold and gone to the land registry up to 9 months previous. It creates [to the untrained eye] the illusion that houses are moving with this agent, who sez houses arn't selling. Better than having a site full of unsold houses, they use em like "decoy ducks"

Heres two examples on the same road Harrison Boothman look for numbers 10 and 15 The Kingfishers Silsden.

And here they are at the Land registary