House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

More Crash Tv

Thursday 8.30pm BBC2 No Waste Like Home

British households generate £25 billion of waste every year, of which £20 billion is wasted food. Shocked? In this informative series, household sustainability expert Penney Poyzer guides extravagantly wasteful families (the Tibbetts are the first) through ways of saving energy and money. There are some fairly obvious tips, such as turning down the central heating and washing your clothes at 40°C - they don't get any cleaner in a hotter wash. And there are moments when it's like watching one of those wartime public service announcements lecturing you to turn the lights out. Still, the Tibbetts save £400 in a fortnight. Impressed?

This looks like another crash/oil program.

I'll be watching if my memory allows me.

Next program should feature the Brown-Blairs, how Gordon & Tony (a same sex couple - the bbc has to move with the PC times) have trouble making ends meet, with Tony gambling a lot on risky ventures in Iraq/the middle east, holidays to Tuscany (although he often gets these for free), and how Gordon struggles to maintain the household despite employing all manner of domestic & foreign servants.

Gordon is currently spending $40billion a year more than Tony brings in, but insists that Tony is going to get a big pay rise soon, and things will be OK.

However household sustainability expert Penney Poyzer has some wise suggestions for Gordon, but will he listen.............?

Guest horace

Sarah

`Still, the Tibbetts save £400 in a fortnight. Impressed? `

unquote.

That is saving of £10,400 per annum and I simply do not believe such figures.

I don`t suppose most UK hoseholds have combined gas and electricity bills of that magnatude per year!

horace

Sarah

`Still, the Tibbetts save £400 in a fortnight. Impressed? `

unquote.

That is saving of £10,400 per annum and I simply do not believe such figures.

I don`t suppose most UK hoseholds have combined gas and electricity bills of that magnatude per year!

horace

Wouldn't be so sure, my little stats collecting exercise from people's own budgets is quite useful a sample of 30 starts to get reasonably accurate. Electricity and Gas on average are probably nudging around £30 a month each. 10% rises coming this year too.

As for £400 savings a 2 weeks - must have been wasting it like Beckham, certainly won't make those savings on energy at the moment.

Wouldn't be so sure, my little stats collecting exercise from people's own budgets is quite useful a sample of 30 starts to get reasonably accurate. Electricity and Gas on average are probably nudging around £30 a month each. 10% rises coming this year too.

As for £400 savings a 2 weeks - must have been wasting it like Beckham, certainly won't make those savings on energy at the moment.

While some people can save a hell of a lot on their current budget these sort of programs tend to suggest all sorts of things which will save money immediately but not long term, therefore they save loads in the first 2 weeks but you can't project that forward for a whole year.

Electricity and Gas on average are probably nudging around £30 a month each. 10% rises coming this year too.

London Energy just informed me [after the event] prices are going up, which extrapolated mean a 16%+ rise in my energy bill. Needless to say it was time for another visit to Uswitch