House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BristolBuyer

Want To Buy A House Bear Bristol

Hello -

I've just joined a company in Aztec West in north Bristol, and am looking to buy a house within 4 miles, or 30 minutes by train. My minimum requirement is a 2-bed semi, up to £225K.

I've just viewed a few of the many 3-bed detached houses in Bradley Stoke (Wheatfield Drive and Mallard Way), both asking £200K. The houses themselves were quite nice, and bigger than I need, but the area struck me as less than ideal. There were quite a lot of baseball caps and customised Novas around, but maybe that was because the schools are on holiday. I'm not sure I'd want to use some of the walkways at night.

Are there some bits of the Bradley Stoke/Patchway/Stoke Gifford/etc area that are "better" than others?

Almondsbury is supposed to be nice, but there don't seem to be many properties on Rightmove.

Bath definitely has nice areas, but the prices are steep. Same for Clifton.

Any comments on where I should be looking would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello -

I've just joined a company in Aztec West in north Bristol, and am looking to buy a house within 4 miles, or 30 minutes by train. My minimum requirement is a 2-bed semi, up to £225K.

I've just viewed a few of the many 3-bed detached houses in Bradley Stoke (Wheatfield Drive and Mallard Way), both asking £200K. The houses themselves were quite nice, and bigger than I need, but the area struck me as less than ideal. There were quite a lot of baseball caps and customised Novas around, but maybe that was because the schools are on holiday. I'm not sure I'd want to use some of the walkways at night.

Are there some bits of the Bradley Stoke/Patchway/Stoke Gifford/etc area that are "better" than others?

Almondsbury is supposed to be nice, but there don't seem to be many properties on Rightmove.

Bath definitely has nice areas, but the prices are steep. Same for Clifton.

Any comments on where I should be looking would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've also just moved to Bristol and am in a similar position. I'd rent for 6-12 months if I were you and stash the cash while researching the market. Prices are definitely starting to come off a bit. A 3 bed semi in Bradley Stoke can easily be rented for £675 pcm (as opposed to £1000 pcm mortgage payments). Bradley Stoke tends to be sniffed at, not least because it has no proper town centre (poor planning), though it is v. convenient for the motorway. If you catch the right train at the station (next to Stoke Gifford) you can be at Paddington in 70 mins.

Horfield also has quite affordable rents and is fairly near Aztec West. The best purchase in terms of holding it's value would probably be a 2/3 bed in Montpelier (bohemian + trendy and near the city centre). The downside is that Ali G and friends will be your near neighbours (it's next to St Paul's) and the onroad parking round there is a nightmare.

Ok... I can help you here as I used to work for Orange (aztec west) and lived in Stoke Gifford for 7 years.

The houses in Bradley Stoke are very modern and you dont get much for your money. They were built in next to no time and have been described as having very little character. 3 Nice pubs though. The Orchard, The Bradley Stoke and The Sheep! The leisure centre has a pool and a library which is really nice.

The traffic from the M4/M5 motorway is bad most of the day, but it does move eventually.

Stoke Gifford is generally classed as a better area then Bradley Stoke as a bit more of a village location.

Emerson Green is also quite a nice area with good shops. Yate is nice in areas. Pucklechurch and Chipping Sodbury is nice also.

Stay away from Kingswood, Filton, Fishponds, St. Pauls, St George, Eastville and M32 areas. There is alot of crime around these parts. This is also where you typical "chav teenager" hangs out.

Winterbourne/Frampton Cotterell/Almondsbury/ Thornbury would be where I would head if I were to move back. These are lovely areas and have good schools which is what counts these days. Everyone that lives in Bradley Stoke or Stoke Gifford want to head to the above areas once they start a family. Take time to look around these areas and explore. If you are not able to buy in these areas I would wait a while. Prices have dropped in these areas and will continue to do so.

Dont go spending all ya money in the mall! :D

I am almost in the same positon. I am currently waiting for an exchange date (finger crossed) and I am going to be renting in the area to start with. I was looking for a 3 bed semi in a village location max £250k but we haven't found anything we like that is worth the money.

Yate is not the nicest town, and although Chipping Sodbury has a very nice high street, most houses don't match (new builds crammed in or a distinct council feel.)

Bradley Stoke was nicknamed Sadley Broke in the early ninety's as it was negative equity hell, lots of new builds sold in the late eightys.

Winterbourne/Frampton Cotterell/Almondsbury/ Thornbury are where I would recommend living though not Thornbury so much as I lived there during my year out at the nuclear power station, and wasn't that impressed. We actually want a smaller village location ourselves though, and suggestions?

I think you should rent for at least six months for three reasons:-

To research where you would like to live

To monitor house prices over the coming months, as they are certainly not rising in Bristol.

To be able to make an informed decision if you do choose to buy in the near future

I STR at the beginning of the year, and have lived in several areas of Bristol over the years. If you like going out then you could also consider renting in Ashley Down - plenty to do down Gloucester Road but could be a bit studenty, it is handy for getting a bus into the centre though. Many of the villages already mentioned would be a good choice if that's your thing but will need more research on your part. I certainly wouldn't contemplate living on one of the estates around Bristol as I recently regretted (which is why I STR), due to the bseball caps, mopeds, footballs and general noise etc.

i would buy in clifton...

reasons are it is friendly and lively.

Might be expensive but you can walk almost anywhere and quite to escape the city to and get back onto main roads.

PS How much do you get paid to take out such as big morgage or have you sold your house previously to move to bristol???

Edited by delboypass

If you're looking for a nice village atmosphere I'd recommend Hambrook, Frenchay, or Rudgeway, not technically Bristol (it's S. Glos) extremely handy for Aztec west though.

Personally I'd go a little more central- Clifton/Redland/Westbury.

... But I'd rent rather than buy yet.

If you're looking for a nice village atmosphere I'd recommend Hambrook, Frenchay, or Rudgeway, not technically Bristol (it's S. Glos) extremely handy for Aztec west though.

Personally I'd go a little more central- Clifton/Redland/Westbury.

... But I'd rent rather than buy yet.

I would agree with that. My girlfriend looked at a house in Hambrook. It was really nice. But they wanted 255 for a 2(maybe three) bedroom house with no garage and about 6 inches from a main road. It was on a bend by a pub and I have never seen cars go fast in a place like that!!

There is nothing really for sale there at the moment. The owners took that one off the market after a couple of months. Frenchay is nice, and there are some nice places in Winterborne Down.

I dont like Clifton myself but am in the minority-- out of your price range anyway unless you want "a deceptively large" shoe box.

I've been looking for a house to buy near north Bristol (or commutable by rail) for about a month now, and these are my thoughts so far. Any comments welcome. Looking to spend up to £250K for house with 2 or more bedrooms.

Bradley Stoke - the houses are nice, but very closely packed. A worrying number of kids in baseball caps hanging around on the streets. Cars parked all over the place. One property I looked at 6 weeks ago has just been reduced from 200K to 190K. Some estate agents are indicating that the asking prices are negotiable without being prompted.

Stoke Gifford - a bit nicer than Bradley Stoke, feels a bit safer, but a smaller selection of houses to choose from. Convenient for the Bristol Parkway. A house I looked at a few weeks ago has just been reduced from 225K to 210K. Lots of "Town Houses", which seems to be the new name for terraced house. OK if the neighbours are quiet I suppose.

Little Stoke - feels a bit rough in places, not sure I want to buy a house here.

Sneyd Park, Clifton - too expensive.

Bath - fair range of properties, but the nice ones seem to sell quickly. Houses in Twerton don't seem to sell at all.

Almondsbury, Hambrook - nice, but few properties for sale, all out of my price range.

Cam+Dursley - haven't viewed here yet, but looks interesting. Is the drugs problem as bad as some people say?

South Wales - seems like the nice places to live are west of Swansea, involving a long rail journey.

Are there other places I should be looking?

Thanks

Wotton-Under-Edge is a lovely spot nestled in the Cotswold Hills and we would be living there if it wasn't for my wife wanting to get closer to her parents again! There's not a great deal of property to choose from but the location is much nicer than Dursley. It has a good community spirit and has a cinema being brought back into operation. The schools have good results and some of the pubs are quite nice for a beer, especially in the summer time.

It is only 20-30 minutes into North Bristol and is on the north part of the M5 away from Portishead and it's dreadful roads. Check out http://wotton-under-edge.com/ for more info!

:)

Bradley Stoke - a rough guide

1 Sandwiched between the M4 and M5 motorway junctions, serious noise and pollution.

2 The road network has more speed bumps than the rest of the UK combined.

3 The area has no soul, centre or sense of community

4 The local shop is the supermarket across the dual carriageway

5 The public transport is a joke

6 It take 25 mins to get from the estate onto the M5 in the morning, before you have even gone anywhere.

7 Why??

8 Sadly Broke will be back; mark my words....

In short - don't bother. A friend of mine sold her flat there last summer, I reckon at exactly the right time, she is now renting in the country waiting for prices to fall.

JD

:D:D:D

Edited by john_d_uk

Cam+Dursley - haven't viewed here yet, but looks interesting. Is the drugs problem as bad as some people say?

Thanks

I was brought up in Dursley and my parents live there still, it's ok but more of a town for families and pensioners.

I've lived in Bristol 3 yrs now and would love to buy but prices are ridiculous. I'm gonna wait another year before buying, there are better ways off investing money than in property now.

Rachel