HOLA441
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Couldn't agree more. I melted the hose on mine so rang the number, got through to a lady with a nice west country accent (I believe Henrys are made in Chard?) who knew exactly what I was talking about - no part numbers, serial numbers. etc. required - and sent one out for me on next day delivery. It was like being transported back to my idea of what life in the fifties must have been like.....

eight

Yep, Henry's are made in Chard by Numatic. James Dyson had tried to build a school of innovation in Bath, until the local nimbys got involved...He's definitely right about the ratio between media students vs engineer graduates..At least he's trying to do something about it..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2006/jul/11/furthereducation.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2007/sep/16/architecture

HOLA445

the old groaner :

the day that microsoft makes a product that doesnt suck , will be the day

they start making vacuum cleaners :P

back to dyson - saw a part of a prog on him years back and iirc, he didnt want

experienced engineers , but youngsters he could train up , that werent fixed in their ways ...

or some similar crap ... didnt want experience .. he is the font of not only wisdom but experience.

sorry I tht he was a guy with strange hangups/problems . :blink:

rockhopper

HOLA446

The only vacuum we have is my girlfriend's Dyson. My god, what a piece of ugly, over-designed crap. The bit at the top of the handle the design affords you to hold falls off at random, it is ergonomically appalling, and it couldn't suck a feather off a glass top table even when empty.

All this is clearly true. However, you overlook the fact that it has some bright yellow plastic bits and that later models can be pushed along on a rubber ball dog-toy. Owning such a product sets you apart as a hip, trendy, quirky couple - well worth the extra 200 quid.

Get rid of your Dyson and you run the risk of trendy mates laughing into their skinny lattes at you and your "functional" vacuum cleaner.

HOLA447

Ever thought of emptying it outside in that fresh air stuff?

the dust is fine and even when emptying it outside into a plastic bag, it creates a mist. if you are suffering from asthma, it would be completely untenable to use this vacuum cleaner. the cleaners when i was in university, used henry hoovers and it seems really sturdy. that was our other choice, but the miele was so well priced, that we went for it in the end

HOLA448

The guy that outsourced production of his overpriced vacuum cleaners now has all the answers to the woes of the UK's engineers.

In fairness to mr Dyson he did not outsource his production until several planning applications to expand his original factory in Malmesbury had been refused. Basically local wealthy land owners didn't want the "blot" of a new factory on their doorstep.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

If only he would turn his skills to developing a masturbation machine.  There's a fortune to be made by the man who gets that right.

A fortune you say - Think I might try my hand at that...

XYY

HOLA4411

Perhaps Dyson can recommend a firm that the graduate engineers can get a job with, say, manufacturing vaccum cleaners for example - oh dear Dyson doesn't make them here anymore ... and yet he is going to save UK manufacturing?

Just a free advert for Dyson. The DT should be ashamed of themselves.

Do Engineering Graduates want a manufacturing job assembling vaccum cleaners? I would doubt it. Perhaps they might be interesting in designing them, something I gather Dyson still does in the UK.

The only vacuum we have is my girlfriend's Dyson. My god, what a piece of ugly, over-designed crap. The bit at the top of the handle the design affords you to hold falls off at random, it is ergonomically appalling, and it couldn't suck a feather off a glass top table even when empty. A classic example of marketing-over-function, 'aspirational' b*llshite.

I had a £50 Panasonic pull-along thing a couple of years ago, which on full power could lift the carpet clear of the floor in the middle of the room. I managed to leave it at my old place though, doh. Plus the bags were really sturdy so if you had run out you could just empty the contents into the bin and re-use them.

The idea of buying a trendy product to use for something as banal as get crap off the floor is bizarre.

My Dyson works well. I still have to push it around and empty it every now and again but it works.

I cant really understand the anti-dyson feeling. Its largely a British success story but perhaps that is the problem for the HPC hardcore.

HOLA4412

I cant really understand the anti-dyson feeling. Its largely a British success story but perhaps that is the problem for the HPC hardcore.

Yeah, I hate British success, that's the sole reason I slag off a badly designed, overpriced, aspirational-middle-class-b*llshit product and it's smug, media darling 'inventor'.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yeah, I hate British success, that's the sole reason I slag off a badly designed, overpriced, aspirational-middle-class-b*llshit product and it's smug, media darling 'inventor'.

As I said. Mine works well. Its sucks up the dirt on my floor, what else do you want it to do? Sing you a song?

Production Engineers do not sit there and bolt the cleaners together, they are involved in increasing the efficiency of the production process, by introducing kanban, six sigma etc

Yes. Agreed. Again, I do not believe that those roles have been outsourced to Malaysia.

:lol::lol::lol:

+1

Big Hugs.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Do Engineering Graduates want a manufacturing job assembling vaccum cleaners? I would doubt it. Perhaps they might be interesting in designing them, something I gather Dyson still does in the UK.

My Dyson works well. I still have to push it around and empty it every now and again but it works.

It is a clever marketing pitch but really not much else, they really are not very good machines cheaply made and some pretty bad usability issues. Edit ---- check out this thread below, I've seen most of these problems dysons - bits falling off, attachments that don't attach, poor cables etc. Whereas other machines can suffer hardly any of those problems even with years of use. FBet you won;t find one contract cleaner with a Dyson. Actually that is the best rule of thumb with most stuff - just find out what most trade users use, they will have done all the sums for lifetime replacement costs, spares, reliability, usability.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/r26_2_Dyson_DC04.html

Numatic on the other hand is also success story, but of a different kind, probably too Germanic to warrant the press.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4417

It is a clever marketing pitch but really not much else, they really are not very good machines cheaply made and some pretty bad usability issues. Edit ---- check out this thread below, I've seen most of these problems dysons - bits falling off, attachments that don't attach, poor cables etc. Whereas other machines can suffer hardly any of those problems even with years of use. FBet you won;t find one contract cleaner with a Dyson. Actually that is the best rule of thumb with most stuff - just find out what most trade users use, they will have done all the sums for lifetime replacement costs, spares, reliability, usability.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/r26_2_Dyson_DC04.html

Numatic on the other hand is also success story, but of a different kind, probably too Germanic to warrant the press.

Henry is a great product and I have an enormous fleet of them and would not ever consider Dyson's cr@ppy product. However, Numatic has not broken global markets in the way Dyson has and it's revenues are considerably smaller. Obviously, if it ain't broke don't fix it but, they will probably just go on churning out the same product for decades on what is already a pretty automated production line and will probably become more so. Certainly all the plastic moulding will be automated.

I saw some incredible automation in a British plastics factory a couple of weeks ago, what worries me is all innovation will be channelled into this side of things rather than new products. Once large capital investment has gone into automating a line it will create real inertia towards anything but minor cosmetic changes to products.

HOLA4418

At my last rented house my landlord left behind a Dyson. Went back to using my Hoover. The main gubbings would fall away from the handle with the slightest knock. Then there is no bag and you have to dispose of all the waste (a bag seems far cleaner to me) plus it looks crap as you can see all the dust in the drum as its transparent (tells you when its full I suppose).

Really couldn't see the point. A really hyped product.

Absolutely.

Dyson vacuum cleaners utter rubbish didnt last a couple of years

With cracked and missing bits the Dyson became a joke.

Replaced it with a simple but large Henry actually might be called something else..?, no name on it.

Looked plain and overpriced compared to the Dysons sexy design nonsense..

The Henry machine is still going strong, 4-5 years later..

Hahaha didn't read the threads below, Im preaching to the converted...lol

Edited by Basil Nuriyev

HOLA4419

A friend of mine went to go and see Jimmy Carr at Bristol's Colston Hall (I think it was), and he was asking the front row about the jobs they did. One woman in the front row said that she worked in the factory that made Henry's. He asked her if she stuck the eyes on, and she said yes! Apparently he said he'd love to do that job..

This made me chuckle slightly..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2741496/Irish-snub-Henry-vacuum-cleaners.html

CLEANERS in Ireland have decided their Henry vacuum cleaners really suck - after Thierry Henry's handball ended the nation's World Cup dream.

Angry workers can't bear to look at the smiley-faced machines following the French striker's cheating. Some have painted out the word "Henry" while others have daubed over its cheerful face in the wake of the soccer travesty. Staff have even said they want their va-va-vacuums replaced because they remind them of the former Arsenal star.

A worker at an Irish government building in Dublin said last night: "Several cleaners say they're unhappy working with vacuum cleaners with the cheat's name written on them. "It's bizarre because the machines have nothing whatsoever to do with Thierry Henry. "Some have painted over the name on the cleaner and wiped the smile off its little red face. "It just shows how the frustration caused by that goal has got to everyone in Ireland."

Irish sales of Henry cleaners also look set to dip in protest, adding to the £100million the Irish economy will lose after the team failed to qualify for the World Cup finals. Henry, 32 - who appeared in "Va Va Voom" ads for the Renault Clio - admitted handling the ball twice to set up the goal that clinched a 2-1 aggregate win for France in Paris. The goal dumped Ireland out of next summer's World Cup finals in South Africa - and Fifa ruled out a replay.

SUN031GM23_280_934262a.jpg

HOLA4420

how much money will he pay these engineers when they are ready. as an engineer, you cant earn much even with a lot of experience unless you move into management roles. you have all these managers who will expect you to come up with solutions as though it is the most trivial thing to do like placing a sales order.

anyway, we recently replaced our dyson with a miele and what a difference. i mistakenly bought a dyson a few years ago and my OH complained every time he had to empty the cylinder with all the dust flying around. it is the biggest load of hype. the miele i bought was cheaper (on sale) and is more effective in vacuuming and more silent. i bought the dyson thinking it would be nice to save on buying bags, but that is a fallacy.

Have to agree. the Miele is brilliant. Very quiet and sucks the pile out of the carpet. German engineering.

We also had a Dyson. It had poor suction, and the detachable handle part for cleaning in corners had hardly any suck at all. The thing eventually fell apart, no stamina and it was expensive. Something would jamb, and the shaft would melt through the rubber belt. 5 quid for 2 replacements in a box. They weren't even reinforced. Just a couple of oversized rubber bands worth 10p. They fitted badly and the first would usually get melted anyway.

Shan't buy another Dyson. Definitely another Miele. The Germans build class products.

A pal of mine purchased a Dyson washing machine for something like 1100 quid. Bet the thing is no cleaner than my 250 quid Hotpoint.

Agree also about the engineers. I was a development engineer for 37 years. Going into private industrial manufacturing was a big mistake. Poor status and pay, and suffering now with poor company pension.

Edited by LetsGetReadyToTumble

HOLA4421

do they still make VAX in the UK?

these dysons i find arent that good for cleaning inside the car - not very versatile , you cant beat good old VAX with their 'washing' vacuum cleaners

Edited by Ruffneck

HOLA4422

If only he would turn his skills to developing a masturbation machine. There's a fortune to be made by the man who gets that right.

My mate makes them along with chastity devices, it's hilarious when he shows them to us

HOLA4423

do they still make VAX in the UK?

these dysons i find arent that good for cleaning inside the car - not very versatile , you cant beat good old VAX with their 'washing' vacuum cleaners

+5, vax are a UK company, based in droitwich but I'm not sure where manufacturing is based. There cyclonic mach machines are excellent, and they come with a 6 year garentee (IMHO that would bankrupt dyson if they tried the same)

• 9 years later...
HOLA4424

Sir James Dyson has bought what is thought to be Singapore's biggest and most expensive penthouse flat.

The purchase comes after his company, best known for its vacuum cleaners, moved its headquarters from the UK to Singapore.

The property, at the heart of the city's business district, spans three floors and has five bedrooms.

Official records show both Sir James and his wife Lady Deidre Dyson are joint tenants of the apartment at the prestigious Wallich Residence in Singapore.

"Given the decision to locate the headquarters in Singapore and the growing focus of the company's business in the region, of course James Dyson has bought a property there," a Dyson spokesperson said in a statement.

Sir James took ownership of the property in June, the records show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48932334

HOLA4425