House Price Crash Forum

Obel

getdoon_weebobby

Nigooner it's easier for me to add my comment rather than directly replying to yours because of this blasted iPhone!! Grrrr I think your opinion that the final result of Obel doesn't resemble the original idea is a little exaggerated perhaps??

I honestly don't find these apartments that small. I've seen a few of the different layouts and maybe the 1 beds in the middle are a bit boxy but mine certainly isn't.

You're right about the perks of me being a tenant and the lack of responsibility that comes with that, plus the lifestyle etc. I can't argue that a buyers perspective would differ from mine. And yes depending on the location of the apartment within the building, your view could be a motorway but that's the way the cookie crumbles!!

But as I've said before we've all got our own opinions.....it would be a boring world if we didn't. And anyway, everyone knows women are always right hehe

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it divides opinion is prob a good thing ... albeit mostly negative!

I drive past it every day and I must admit I dont find it particularly ugly or attractive. Although I do think the skyline looks well over that side of Belfast including the Obel building, and particulary so at night with the lights of the city on (what city really looks well during the day?) Its just a pity theres not that many in it.

I have to admit though I was surprised to hear that it was apartments when it was being built as it does look more like an office block to be fair, but I think its ok. It could be worse.

Edited by tinbin

From a regeneration point of view, many of the masterplans commissioned by the government for Belfast City Centre wanted more mixed use developments within the city, thus encouraging a more versatile living/working lifestyle. Generally within Belfast City Centre once it turns 6pm (during the week anyway) the city resembles a ghost town and one of the objectives was to try and create a more 24hr living environment - this was high on the list of objectives for Victoria Square. And one way to try and introduce that is via increased residential space. Also the footfall within the city was very much in and around Royal Avenue, developments beit residential/commercial help to widen footfall if they are intentionally placed on the outskirts. Victoria Square was supposed to help draw the footfall from Castlecourt/Royal Avenue. And then John Lewis raised its head!!!

Hi there. I don't think the lack of hotel in this development will make any difference whatsoever. It is and was always a predominately residential space. How many apartment blocks are there in the city that include provision for a hotel??!! However I have heard whispers that eventually there may be restaurants/bars included in this scheme and even a mini supermarket type thing!! To be honest as far as I'm concerned this development doesn't need any of those commercial things, it's located right in the centre of the city! They are all around! The major issue at present, central to its survival as an aspirational living space is the level of occupancy. It is increasing albeit quite slowly.

Hi there. I don't think the lack of hotel in this development will make any difference whatsoever. It is and was always a predominately residential space. How many apartment blocks are there in the city that include provision for a hotel??!! However I have heard whispers that eventually there may be restaurants/bars included in this scheme and even a mini supermarket type thing!! To be honest as far as I'm concerned this development doesn't need any of those commercial things, it's located right in the centre of the city! They are all around! The major issue at present, central to its survival as an aspirational living space is the level of occupancy. It is increasing albeit quite slowly.

no doubt these were described as aspirational living spaces or some other such planner speak nonsense

rock on!

Nope, those bad boys are definitely not aspirational!! I'm not a planner, nor am I a developer and I didn't coin the term 'aspirational' from some Obel marketing material! I'm just Joe Bloggs who wants to live in a decent living space in the city. And Obel more than meets my needs. Simple as.

Nope, those bad boys are definitely not aspirational!! I'm not a planner, nor am I a developer and I didn't coin the term 'aspirational' from some Obel marketing material! I'm just Joe Bloggs who wants to live in a decent living space in the city. And Obel more than meets my needs. Simple as.

had a gender transition op over the weekend neets?

rock on!

I think it depends on your definition of unique selling point. How many prospective purchaser's of the Obel would be influenced to buy an apartment because it had a hotel? How does the presence of a hotel make a difference to the daily lives of the Obel's residents? A unique selling point is supposed to make something more desirable, if a prospective purchaser had a checklist of requirements I would imagine 'hotel' would not be high on said list. As far as I'm concerned the unique selling point of this development is the modern design (like it or not) and the fact that it is 28 storeys high. That is a MASSIVE selling point. The views speak for themselves.

theres a great bit in episode 2 where the council tenant is delighted to claim that divis flats are no longer flats...they are apartments. APARTMENTS I TELL YOU!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vdcxd

*grabs brown paper bag to aid breathing*......how rude!!!! There's no blinking way that they would be defined as apartments!! That's like saying because I have highlighted hair and blue eyes that I look like Jennifer Aniston!!! I watched that programme last night by the way, there's no comparison and you know it!!! I think we should all continue these debates in a proper manner......in a bar fuelled by alcohol!!! ;)

theres a great bit in episode 2 where the council tenant is delighted to claim that divis flats are no longer flats...they are apartments. APARTMENTS I TELL YOU!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vdcxd

Nice to see a block of flats in Belfast fully populated with happy residents, could be a while before the various "white elephants" built over the last few years reach this status.

ps anyone take a tenner bet that Obel is demolished before Divis tower ? :ph34r:

Tut tut so much negativity! So much bitterness!! I'm not feeling any love around here! I think I'll allow you fully fledged 'Obel Haters' get on with what you do best....moan!! Laters peeps!

Sorry Neets76, but you came to the wrong place if you are looking support for any sort of housing.

In here an apartment is a flat and a townhouse is a terrace. Anything under 1,200 square feet is a slave box.

And quite frankly If you hadn't of said you were a single female living on her own in a high level of this building the topic would have died on its feet.

Personally I am a fan of the building and I believe it will always be a landmark for the city. However, I was very disappointed with what I perceive as a dramatic downgrade in the glazing and cladding which takes away from what the building could have been. The boat, which will never be the landmark the Obel will be, is finished for a far higher standard and shows what the obel could of ben.

Lol! BelfastVI I appreciate your honesty!! So I've been humoured by the fine members on this forum because I'm female and single??!! I suppose I should be flattered. But for all you lot know I could be an ageing, crinkly and ever so slightly randy 58 yr old granny!! I'm not by the way!

Yes the cladding on the rear elevation is far from inspiring, I'll give you that. Just out of curiosity, have you seen the rear aspect of the all singing n all dancing Boat??!! It's flat and grey with a few random windows the size of shoe boxes!! But I've seen the spec of those apartments, and they are pretty impressive, if you're a gadget geek!

P.S please define the term 'slave box'!

Lol! BelfastVI I appreciate your honesty!! So I've been humoured by the fine members on this forum because I'm female and single??!! I suppose I should be flattered. But for all you lot know I could be an ageing, crinkly and ever so slightly randy 58 yr old granny!! I'm not by the way!

Yes the cladding on the rear elevation is far from inspiring, I'll give you that. Just out of curiosity, have you seen the rear aspect of the all singing n all dancing Boat??!! It's flat and grey with a few random windows the size of shoe boxes!! But I've seen the spec of those apartments, and they are pretty impressive, if you're a gadget geek!

Where you live ;)

I have the signatures switched off but one of the posters here had a good apartment layout that he referred to as a slave box. Not sure where the term came from but I believe it refers to the small 1 bed, open plan apartments or studios that are about 600sq feet, or less. Basically you pay too much for them and spend the next 20 years as a slave to the mortgage.

Most housing units here are described as either a monstrosity or a slave box. The only thing that appears to fall outside that is a 60 year old house with dodgy wiring, no insulation, single glazing and that nostalgic smell of dry rot and dampness. They were better built back then, you see.

Enjoy your visit to the forum. At times we have interesting debate.

Sorry to hear you might be a 'slightly randy 58 yr old granny'. We have well over our fair quota of them already and they give me hell in here.

Edited by BelfastVI

Ok so if anything we've established that Malthus has a thing for randy 58 yr old grannies!! Cough!

BelfastIV I'm glad they're giving you hell! It'll keep you on your toes!! ;)

So I'm curious. Are you all speculative or budding developers or just interested in Market conditions and developments??

Yes the cladding on the rear elevation is far from inspiring, I'll give you that. Just out of curiosity, have you seen the rear aspect of the all singing n all dancing Boat??!! It's flat and grey with a few random windows the size of shoe boxes!!

welcome to forum neets7, don't listen to BVI, he underplays his role here, he's a very good foil to us perma bears :)

the reason why the boat is so uninspiring at the rear is to do with privacy rights. to the rear of the boat is a potential development site, and therefore there is limitations on the extent of glazing one is allowed to provide overlooking this site, of course, when the next development is built they will position their bland rear to the same aspect and they will both therefore hide each others weak sides.