House Price Crash Forum

Obel

getdoon_weebobby

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you're enjoying the dream and contributing to the regeneration of Belfast. Nothing regenerates an area quite like unoccupied apartment blocks. So I'm told by people living in the ghost estates in the republic.

Hi there. I'm not living the dream at all, wish I was. I'm grabbing onto the coat-tail of someone elses dream!! Yes Obel is predominantly unoccupied at present. I take your point there but I've been told by the Foreman that most of the apartments have been sold, I've been lead to believe that approx 40 haven't been sold?? To be honest this complex only reached completion end of July I think. There are still tradesmen etc on site as i type, it still isn't fully finished. If the occupancy rate is still poor 6 months from now then yes there's a problem. How about the circling vultures give it a chance first??!! Just a thought!! Although I do have visions of me running up and down the shared hallways wielding an axe, hair all dishevelled like Jack Nicholson out of The Shining if the building does end up being predominately unoccupied!!! Good movie though!!

Edited by Neets76

Oooh, touchy!! Here we go with the smart comments again...When did you last contribute to the regeneration of this province??!!

Not touchy at all , if you view regeneration as building small flats on every possible site , your right I took no part in that madness.

Imho a developer would rather have teeth pulled than rent to you, but is doing so as no one will buy the apartments ;)

There's a lot more than 40 unsold. Not to mention the onsite hotel now fallen through. I'm by no means a vulture. I wouldn't even want to pick the remains of the dead obel. It's a personal choice but you'd really have to pay me to live there. It's on it's way to becoming a social housing block. Check through this tread there's so interesting info on completions to date.

The Shining is a great movie.

I'm listening to what everyone is saying, I've read the comments and as I sit here with a panoramic view of the city sipping my coffee, I'm prepared to give Obel a go. At the end of the day I'll be the one living in a social housing block not you two!!

It seems to me that if you are determined to think negatively about this project (and let's be honest it is a victim of the economic downturn too, it didn't cause it) then you will never give it a fair chance.

I worked in regeneration, including the Victoria Square scheme (P.S why does everyone insist on calling it Victoria Centre??!!!! That drives me crazy!! But I'm pedantic about things like that, hey ho). I know only too well that 'flats' do not spell regeneration. And how dare you, I live in an APARTMENT!! Haha The monthly rental dictates that definition bucko!! I recall using the term 'contribution' to regeneration!!

Yea The Shining is great, not to be watched alone mind you.

Long live Obel!! ; )

I'm listening to what everyone is saying, I've read the comments and as I sit here with a panoramic view of the city sipping my coffee, I'm prepared to give Obel a go. At the end of the day I'll be the one living in a social housing block not you two!!

It seems to me that if you are determined to think negatively about this project (and let's be honest it is a victim of the economic downturn too, it didn't cause it) then you will never give it a fair chance.

I worked in regeneration, including the Victoria Square scheme (P.S why does everyone insist on calling it Victoria Centre??!!!! That drives me crazy!! But I'm pedantic about things like that, hey ho). I know only too well that 'flats' do not spell regeneration. And how dare you, I live in an APARTMENT!! Haha The monthly rental dictates that definition bucko!! I recall using the term 'contribution' to regeneration!!

Yea The Shining is great, not to be watched alone mind you.

Long live Obel!! ; )

Enjoy the view but watch out for Johnny ;)

Hi Neets, Hmm, an interesting coincidence that a glowing post effusing the benefits and desireability of Obel living just happens to have been made by a tenant who is renting from the developer. You should try and negotiate a good discount on the rent in return for your sales pitch..!

I would reckon most tenants in Apts don't have a clue who their landlord is, and especially if I was developer of the block I'd probably be keen to retain my privacy via means of a letting agent etc.. You arent by any chance a business associate/friend of developer, esp as you are keen to outline your role in regenerating Belast, as a developer themselves likely would...?

I note your mention of the secure car park, on pics on another website, the entrance didn't look that secure to me.. The entrance appeared to be controlled by a simple barrier that any unauthorised person/s could walk around and down into the car park if no further security measures fitted, and in what must be the exit lane there appeared to be no barrier to restrict vehicle exit. Are there aditional roller shutter doors or hydraulic gates fitted so unauthorized persons cant enter the car park, and vehicles simililarly cant be removed unless by rightful persons? Also, is the entry method by an individually recorded keyswipe, or unique pin code for keypad for each resident.... Or is it a pin code that is issued to all resident/car park users - if so then it will likely get widely known and spaces abused due to city centre location... Happy for you to correct info if inaccurate..

I hope you enjoy living in Obel and goes smoothly for you - my concerns would be that there may be extremely few owner occupiers to add stability to block, and as a purchaser posted, re soundproofing issues, though those can be prevalent in other blocks too...

Hi Lagansider, it's late and I need some shut-eye! I will however address your suspicions (which are way off!!) and other points tomorrow!!

Hi, yes, you're right - me too, time for zzzz's! Thanks, couldnt help being a bit cynical when saw that post - Im sure you understand.. Look forward to your response...

Ok Lagansider, here goes. I only know my landlord is the developer because I saw his name on the lease for the property. The developer has used a letting agency but my keen eye picked up on the landlords name!! I was then made aware when I moved into the building as to the name of the developer and put 2 and 2 together. Please understand that I don't have any ties or association with the developer or any of his acquaintances!! My role in regeneration was in the public sector and was very much in the background. I'm only guilty of taking pleasure in the many initiatives that have been

ongoing within the city to reinforce it's city status.

I'm sorry but I do support the Obel project. It may not be to everones liking but it does command attention and has had quite a bit of publicity along the way. Which was mostly positive.

I note that someone commented about the laminate kitchen etc. I read the marketing material for these apartments and do not recall bespoke solid oak kitchens forming part of the specification!! I have read the specifications contained within that document and as I've witnessed the final result can testify that everything bar the interior designed foyer and gas heating have all been adhered to.

So what's the problem?? Can someone please tell me, bar the economic downturn why Obel is getting such a hard time??!! And I'm talking about the aesthetics and design here, not people who are disgruntled because of Market conditions. Plus location wise, this building is perfect.

Lagansider, your questions regarding parking....yes there is a barrier which is activated by a fob which only residents have. This barrier then activates the roller shutter that cannot be seen at street level. There is also a similar roller shutter to exit the carpark. It is extremely secure. Actually you can access the apartments from the carpark but must use a keypad/fob to do so. One of the reasons this building appealed to me was the fact that it appeared quite secure.

I understand that vacant apartments is a major concern but I'm adamant that it's still early days and I think we should watch this space... ;)

within the city to reinforce its city status.

Good evening Lagansider!! Just out of curiosity do you live in the city?? What is your interest in Obel??!! Just being nosey ;)

Yes I embrace and welcome all initiatives to drag this city into the modern world and Obel has done that to a certain extent. I agree that the curved side overlooking the Lagan is the better finish.

Regarding your rental comment....I would have thought a great percentage of these apartments would have been purchased as investments and for rental?? Realistically city centre apartment living is a niche Market. I myself at the tender age of ....cough, splutter 34 (still have problems admitting to that but as long as I don't look a day over 25 who cares??!! lol) have never lived in an apartment before or a city centre. It's different, that's for sure!!

Thank you for wishing me well. I'm enjoying living 20 minutes away from where I work.....goodbye commuter hell!!

I'll invite you all round when I have my Sex and the City themed house warming party ;)

Well Subby seeing as you've asked so politely, no I didn't live with my parents before. I lived a very suburban life in the proverbial 3 bed semi with white picket fence (actually it was stained a dark wooden colour but hey). So having done that I'm now sampling the apartment living route!! I've been told by 40 and 50 somethings (who are no doubt on the brink of mid-life crisis and are full of regret!!) that we should all live the city centre apartment life at least once in our lifetime!! Preferably at an age whereby the world is your oyster!! I think I'm just about on the right side of my 30s to do just that!! :)

I appreciate by renting that I'm not taking as much of a risk in the passionately debated Obel. P.S you guys don't hit the wall and miss!! lol I've read most of the comments and wow, there's been a lot of straight talkin around here. Yes 2buyornot2buy you included young man!! Hehe Actually I'm assuming you're male, I haven't checked your profile!

I had a look on the propertynews today and noticed the rental opportunities have increased quite a bit, obviously because a lot of the apartments have reached completion. The rental for 2 bedroom is steep!! I find it hard to believe that an extra bedroom and ensuite can increase the rental potential THAT much?? I mean 900 quid?? What do you lot think of the rental figures??

I also noticed a few apartments are also on the Market for sale. Ranging from 125k for a 1 bed to 170k for a 2 bed. They're not bad prices to be honest.

I'm currently closing my eyes tightly and grimacing at the backlash I'm probably going to get here......;)

I also noticed a few apartments are also on the Market for sale. Ranging from 125k for a 1 bed to 170k for a 2 bed. They're not bad prices to be honest.

Is that for one FLAT or the whole block ? :P

I prefer to call a spade a spade but if you like to call them apartments keep an eye out for the

Vision Clearance Engineer ( window cleaner) ;)

16th floor? Let's see that gives a landlord choice of:

Aran Blackbourne, boss of Karl, the Obel developer

Topvalley Ltd, a company giving it's address as the office of Arthur Cox solicitors on Dublin

Some lawyers from MKB Russells

Some randomers from Banbridge and Limavady

Lol!! Would you have the contact details for the Vision Clearance Engineer because I'd like to have an even BETTER panoramic view within my APARTMENT dahling...;) You're feeling left out, aren't you??!! Oh alright then, you can come to my party too ;)

I needed to finally register to make a comment after lurking for many years.

Obel is a monstrosity and should not have been built. It is completely out of place in Belfast and it will only look worse as time passes.

The only comparison i can make with Obel is the communist edifice of the Jen-tower in Jena, Germany. This tower is utterly out of character with the rest of the city

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jen-Tower

Other people agree that this building is horrible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern+ireland-10645130

since i saw the artist/architects drawings for the obel building I thought it was a great project that would be a prime example of city centre living, something belfast has been missing. having been to uni in two different cities, I was eager to move home and get a city centre flat. and had earmarked the obel!

but then i saw the state it turned out.

what stands there now is something completely different to the architects vision. i still hope that someone will come along and get rid of the horrible cladding and tint the windows. if i had a cat, it would be delighted with an obel flat, considering i couldn't swing it in any of the rooms.

however...the only saving grace is the views. say what you like about belfast not having a skyline or any good views, but i don't see what more you could ask for. looking down belfast lough, or out to the waterfront, or up to cavehill...it is all brilliant to sit and watch! especially at night time, i would imagine. saying that, if i was on the 7th floor looking out at the motorway, I wouldn't be too excited.

in short, the obel is just a collection of slave boxes with nice views (from halfway upwards, anyway). it had the chance to show people that belfast could build something spectacular, but with the cutbacks on it i think it has become a laughingstock.

neets is a great example of the people who will enjoy the building- high enough up for great views, looking for low maintenance living and easy access to nightlife and work. plus nets doesn't need to worry about its capital value, which is a great load of her mind i would imagine!

the people who wouldn't enjoy it- anyone who actually bought one. (edit - and everyone who has to look it from the outside)

Edited by nigooner

16th floor? Let's see that gives a landlord choice of:

Aran Blackbourne, boss of Karl, the Obel developer

Topvalley Ltd, a company giving it's address as the office of Arthur Cox solicitors on Dublin

Some lawyers from MKB Russells

Some randomers from Banbridge and Limavady

Hey there, I've already stated that my landlord is Aran Blackbourne!! ;)

Edited by Neets76

I needed to finally register to make a comment after lurking for many years.

Obel is a monstrosity and should not have been built. It is completely out of place in Belfast and it will only look worse as time passes.

The only comparison i can make with Obel is the communist edifice of the Jen-tower in Jena, Germany. This tower is utterly out of character with the rest of the city

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jen-Tower

Other people agree that this building is horrible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern+ireland-10645130

Welcome aboard the bumpy ride, that is the Obel train! Whilst I appreciate that I'm grossly outnumbered here (sniff sniff) everyone is entitled to their differing opinions regarding this building. Yes it does slightly resemble the Jen Building, but then it also resembles many other high rise towers too. You say it doesn't 'fit' into this city. If Belfast was soaked in period/cultural properties then I would understand your point of view. Period buildings are dotted throughout the city, but by no means do they dominate it. Why can't old and new stand side by side??

For every person that doesn't like Obel, there is one that does. Unfortunately they just haven't joined this forum!!! I wish they would, I'm starting to feel like I'm in the playground waiting on someone to pull my pigtails!! ;)