House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FrozenOut

The Average Cost Of A Home Is .......

Location Location Location

Simple as that, a one bed studio over a kebab shop in London would net you a Five Bed Detatched with Jaccuzi and naked bath attendants for the same price.

.....Well, depends who you listen to!?

Why are there so many different figures?  :angry:

Well there are 3 main differnt averages, plus you can break things down even further. FTB'r property, Royality property ect.

If for no perticular reason in small village the old victorian manor house sells for £5 Million, and a 2 FTB'r places sell for 100K then depending which average your looking it it could be

5 mil + 100k + 100k / 3 = Average price of £1.7 milllion which obviously isnt right, so you would use a differnt average and say that most property sold for 100K so thats the average.

Which is no good if your looking to buy a mansion.

Lots of ways to mis-represent data , its how things get spun ;)

Once you have decided what average you will use you then need to somehow define what consitutes a FTB'r property. Second tier property ect.

Add on top of this regional variations, and the time it takes to sell.

Pain in the a*se really, the only way to find the real average is to pick a small area usually where you live and just make up your own mind :lol: , like i know that around where i live, a typical FTB'r property (judged to be FTBr material by me) is about 105K the average person who would be looking to buy this average 1/2 bedroom place i know to be on 15K-18K.

Simple as that for me .

like i know that around where i live, a typical FTB'r property (judged to be FTBr material by me) is about 105K the average person who would be looking to buy this average 1/2 bedroom place i know to be on 15K-18K.

Simple as that for me .

Where do you live Chuz? Where I am the average starter home is about 170k and the average salary is 15-20k.

I need to move! :unsure:

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Location Location Location

Simple as that, a one bed studio over a kebab shop in London would net you a Five Bed Detatched with Jaccuzi and naked bath attendants for the same price.

Hey LJ congratulations on obtaining your VIP status, who knows I might make it one day. :D

Where do you live Chuz?  Where I am the average starter home is about 170k and the average salary is 15-20k.

I need to move!  :unsure:

I would say Gloucestershire, but for averages you need to be even mor specific, a town called Tewkesbury is more accurate.

170K? *gulp* well atleast that means they have even further to fall? :rolleyes:

Try this link, register, put in the postcode you are interested in, and you can get a regional report that splits it down to property type. Flat, Semi, Terraced, Detached

etc.

Also has a few other interesting graphs, about the local market, Weeks to sell, Supply v's Demand etc.

http://www.hometrack.co.uk

I would say Gloucestershire, but for averages you need to be even mor specific, a town called Tewkesbury is more accurate.

170K? *gulp* well atleast that means they have even further to fall?  :rolleyes:

Yup, at least some of the vendors have seen sense and started to drop their prices. I did see a 1BR flat with a grand a year service charge go on the other day though....a snip at 200k :lol:

Where can I get a five bedroom detached house with jaccuzi and naked bath attendants...?

Just wondered...? :huh: