House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gundog

Whaere Are The Protests?

Correct me if I am wrong but in 2001 when petrol was around 80pence a litre there was howls of protest and blockades at oil terminals.

Now four years on and petrol is approaching the £1 mark there is not a whimper of disgust?

Have we become so apathetic to the situation that we just go "ho hum it will get better soon"?

For a start Brown can slash the fuel duty. He only spends 7 of the 35billion raised from motorists on the roads anyway.

Or are people fooled by the spin about spending billions on security so that Blair can travel 200 metres for PMQ's with the streets of central London cordined off for 40 minutes.

Guest growl
Correct me if I am wrong but in 2001 when petrol was around 80pence a litre there was howls of protest and blockades at oil terminals.

Now four years on and petrol is approaching the £1 mark there is not a whimper of disgust?

Have we become so apathetic to the situation that we just go "ho hum it will get better soon"?

For a start Brown can slash the fuel duty. He only spends 7 of the 35billion raised from motorists on the roads anyway.

Or are people fooled by the spin about spending  billions on security so that Blair can travel 200 metres for PMQ's with the streets of central London cordined off for 40 minutes.

Firms are already suffering. You would think Brown would cut the tax just to ease the situation. These firms will make cuts elsewhere if they have to and it will be peoples jobs. That will in turn effect the economy.

Mind you it is the holiday season :rolleyes:

Brown needs the money to help plug his black hole. All the time it's high he gets more dosh cos the tax is a percentage of the price and not an absolute figure.

He's probably lovin' it.