Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
hudmb

Advice About An Offer

Recommended Posts

Hi,

We have held out on buying a property for a few months, but today decided to view a house, just to keep abreast of things.

Anyway, we viewed a property that has been on the market only a week. It's on at £265k and was bought for £250k in August 2004.

The agent said that he had received 2 offers of £250k, but the vendor rejected them. He also said that he has received a cash offer of £265k that has been accepted.

Do you think the agent is having us on? Are they legally allowed to say a property is under offer when it is not? (We don't know he is lying for sure, it's just a hunch). Also, is this likely to happen on a property within the space of a week? The property is in London, W14.

Kind regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

We have held out on buying a property for a few months, but today decided to view a house, just to keep abreast of things.

Anyway, we viewed a property that has been on the market only a week.  It's on at £265k and was bought for £250k in August 2004.

The agent said that he had received 2 offers of £250k, but the vendor rejected them.  He also said that he has received a cash offer of £265k that has been accepted.

Do you think the agent is having us on?  Are they legally allowed to say a property is under offer when it is not?  (We don't know he is lying for sure, it's just a hunch).  Also, is this likely to happen on a property within the space of a week?  The property is in London, W14.

Kind regards.

If it was against the law for them to lie, they'd all be inside.

He's bullshitting you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

We have held out on buying a property for a few months, but today decided to view a house, just to keep abreast of things.

Anyway, we viewed a property that has been on the market only a week.  It's on at £265k and was bought for £250k in August 2004.

The agent said that he had received 2 offers of £250k, but the vendor rejected them.  He also said that he has received a cash offer of £265k that has been accepted.

Do you think the agent is having us on?  Are they legally allowed to say a property is under offer when it is not?  (We don't know he is lying for sure, it's just a hunch).  Also, is this likely to happen on a property within the space of a week?  The property is in London, W14.

Kind regards.

Why bother carrying on viewings when a cash offer of full asking price has been accepted.

Edited by theChuz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask yourself one question punk, if he had a cash offer for the asking rpice why would he take you around to view, surley he would be taking it off the market and booking his hols.

A good way of gauging whether an EA is lying is to see if his lips move when he talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get this housing thing.

If he/she's received a cash offer that hs been accepted, why on earth is he/she wasting your time showing you round the place? Offer through another agent?

Did you know before you were shown round? I'd ask not to have your time wasted in future if not.

Maybe tell them it's a shame, you might have offered 250K but since you know this is already too low you won't bother.

Isn't there some stamp duty issue above 250K?

I really do know nothing don't I. Must stop rambling G.

/G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unless he is particularly stupid i think he may be telling the truth

i could understand why he might say he has had a couple of rejected offers at £250k in order to get your bid towards the asking price - however, he would be really stupid to risk losing a genuine bid by trying to get an offer above asking unless he already had that £265k

then again.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
unless he is particularly stupid i think he may be telling the truth

i could understand why he might say he has had a couple of rejected offers at £250k in order to get your bid towards the asking price - however, he would be really stupid to risk losing a genuine bid by trying to get an offer above asking unless he already had that £265k

then again.............

I reckon it's just brinkmanship on the part of the Scumbag....sorry, i mean...Agent! Call his bluff. Offer way below the asking price just for a laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

We have held out on buying a property for a few months, but today decided to view a house, just to keep abreast of things.

Anyway, we viewed a property that has been on the market only a week.  It's on at £265k and was bought for £250k in August 2004.

The agent said that he had received 2 offers of £250k, but the vendor rejected them.  He also said that he has received a cash offer of £265k that has been accepted.

Do you think the agent is having us on?  Are they legally allowed to say a property is under offer when it is not?  (We don't know he is lying for sure, it's just a hunch).  Also, is this likely to happen on a property within the space of a week?  The property is in London, W14.

Kind regards.

He is lying. This happened to me when I bought my last flat and I was less savvy than I am now and fell for it. For a laugh ask him to put the situation to you in writing and see what happens....

frugalista

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

We have held out on buying a property for a few months, but today decided to view a house, just to keep abreast of things.

Anyway, we viewed a property that has been on the market only a week.  It's on at £265k and was bought for £250k in August 2004.

The agent said that he had received 2 offers of £250k, but the vendor rejected them.  He also said that he has received a cash offer of £265k that has been accepted.

Do you think the agent is having us on?  Are they legally allowed to say a property is under offer when it is not?  (We don't know he is lying for sure, it's just a hunch).  Also, is this likely to happen on a property within the space of a week?  The property is in London, W14.

Kind regards.

Gee, I can smell the male-moo from here. Walk away.

Anyone with property on at 265K in today's market HAS to accept offers below the stamp duty threshold; the EAs know it and the vendors know it.

Bought year ago at 250K? What kind of an @rse is trying to flip a place at 15 grand above the SD threshold anyway? What a prize muppet... :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you overtly enthusiastic when you viewed the property? Even if you think it's the property for you, look downbeat and pick holes in the property when you view - raise your problems with the property again when you're negotiating.

Did the EA receive the full asking price before you viewed???? If they received the offer before the viewing, question him hard on this. This sounds very odd! He might be trying to bounce you. Ask to speak directly to the owner of the property and watch the EA sweat! Cash offer? When I was an EA, cash was cash was cash. The definition of cash is very broad these days.

Edited by gruffydd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The agent is on commision, the difference between what you might be prepared to offer over the cash price is microscopic.

If he had a cash offer for the full asking price as he suggests he would be snapping their arm off and certainly not talking to you.

There is plenty on the market, and plenty coming up, offer 20k under the asking price to return the insult and walk away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could just try not ringing the EA back at all.

If he is lying, it's a fair bet that by the middle of next week, he'll be calling you to progress your offer.

At which point you could then say in a surprised way "Oh, we thought it had a cash offer at 265, which we wouldn't be prepared to match, so we'd given up on it - at least it seems to have turned out well for the vendor"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

say to the agent you were going to make an offer of £260K but as he already has an offer you wont be now doing that. if the agent gets back to you and says the £265K offer has pulled out or something andyou can now make an offer of £260 - the EA is lying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Do what Mr Time To Raise The Rents suggested last week:

Send a procession of your mates around to soften the vendor with disappointingly low offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the house is occupied then put note in the door saying you had a viewing and were very impressed obviously you wouldn't be able to buy it as an offer of asking price was already accepted.

if the EA is lying that will drop him right in it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the important thing here is show the EA up for what he is - A lying little shit!!!

There are loads of thing we can do here but the best thing is to get the sellers to know what a liar he is.

Tell the vendors that you were very interested but were worried about the smell from the bathroom. Tell them that he had told you that it always smells in the house, but he puts it down to the occupants and not the drainage in the area.

When he gets a mouthfull from the sellers and he eventually confronts you - Just say "erm sorry, did I say that? I must have lied"

Then put your tongue out and put your right hand up to touch your nose and go.....

NA NA NA NA NA NAAAAA!!!!

You Bellend!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He is lying. This happened to me when I bought my last flat and I was less savvy than I am now and fell for it. For a laugh ask him to put the situation to you in writing and see what happens....

frugalista

There is a flat I've kept my eye on and I made an initial low offer, but the EA told me there was a cash buyer ready to buy the place and 'turn it around'. It's now been 3 months and the price has been reduced by 5K, I called again last week only to be told the flat has now sold...but on assertahomes, findaproperty etc it is still advertised as being available and not under offer etc....I'm starting to think that the EA is the owner of the flat and is holding out for the highest price he can get...Should I call and be a little more forward in my questions and demand to be put in touch with the vendor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 301 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.