House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frugalista

No More Boom And Bust

Britain is just coming out of 10 years of economic slump. It is Summer 1997 and New Labour have just been swept to power. You are the new Chancellor of the Exchequer. You promised "no more boom and bust" to the electorate. You put on a brave face and set out on your quest...

Your rucksack contains:

- a purse with 100bn gold coins

- a Talisman of Popular Mandate

- a Wand of Spin

Your advisors tell you that one of the causes of the slump was the housing crash of 1989-93. You resolutely tell yourself this will never happen again.

So, do you:

- slap capital gains tax on primary residence. It might not be a hit with the electorate, but your Talisman of Popular Mandate could protect you. And you should get hold of some more gold coins. To impose the tax, turn to page 278.

- regulate the banks so that lending is more sensible from now on. If you choose this path you must defeat the 7-headed City demon. Also remember that the demon helped you out in your quest to gain power. To pass some new rules and regulate the banks, turn to page 102 and prepare to do battle.

- give independence to the Bank of England. You're not quite sure if this will make a difference to the housing market, but it will make the Tories look like even more of an evil manipulative junta. Perhaps your Wand of Spin will help? To grant them independence, turn to page 36.

So, level 1 market regulator, declare your choice!

Apologies to Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston....

frugalista

Gordon Brown has cleared this matter up recently.

Neither himself or Tony Blair ever said "No more boom to bust" they were totally misquoted.

What they did say is "No more Broom or Bust" refering to getting women back into the workplace.

It was very common for women in the old days to develop huge busts from pushing brooms around.

Hope this clears it up.

Gordon Brown has cleared this matter up recently.

Neither himself or Tony Blair ever said "No more boom to bust" they were totally misquoted.

What they did say is "No more Broom or Bust" refering to getting women back into the workplace.

It was very common for women in the old days to develop huge busts from pushing brooms around.

Hope this clears it up.

I know where I would like to ram my broom handle!!! :o

Apologies to Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston....

frugalista

I use to love those books,

Forest of Doom, midnight rogue, deathtrap dungeon.... many rainy lunch breaks spent reading them.

They have re-released some of them,

Guest Riser

Couldn't find much in the papers today although this snippet from the Sunday times made me laugh I can just imagine the look on Brown and Prescotts faces when McCririck hammered Blair for not attending Cook's funeral :lol::lol:

I don't remember the BBC commenting on the crowd outside the church applauding, in a Spencer type moment, what else can we expect from Blairs Broadcasting company. I hope McCririck has a good accountant doing his tax return otherwise they will have him. :ph34r:

The Sunday Times - Britain

August 14, 2005

Blunkett fury at McCririck

DAVID CRACKNELL, POLITICAL EDITOR

CABINET ministers have rounded on John McCririck for his outburst against the prime minister at Robin Cook’s funeral as “unforgivable” and “inept political point scoring”.  David Blunkett, the work and pensions secretary, said the racing pundit’s attack during the ceremony would have spoilt the occasion for Cook’s family.

It comes after McCririck criticised Blair for refusing to break into his sunshine holiday, accusing him of “petty vindictiveness and moral failure”; for “snorkelling” instead of returning to pay his respects.

Blunkett, who attended the service in Edinburgh on Friday, said last night: “Everyone was horrified because this was not only a celebration of Robin’s life, it was a moment of condolence and conciliation for Gaynor (Cook’s wife), his sons and family.

“That moment of quiet mourning was interrupted by inept political point scoring. That is why it was such an unforgivable intervention.” It emerged yesterday that Blair has agreed to give an oration at a memorial service for Cook in London in October.

Ministers predict that Cook’s life will be marked by a bursary or scholarship, rather than a physical memorial.

McCririck, a long-standing friend of Cook through their shared interest in horseracing, criticised Blair in front of ministers, family and friends in St Giles’ Cathedral.

In contrast to the silence inside the church, the crowd outside burst into spontaneous applause. One MP present compared the outburst with that of Charles Spencer at the funeral of his sister Diana, Princess of Wales.

The colourful racing pundit said: “I believe the prime minister’s snub to Robin’s family and to millions of new Labour voters demonstrates a petty vindictiveness and moral failure, opting to continue snorkelling instead of doing his duty.

“To treat a man of Robin’s stature by saying, ‘I’m just going to sit here on the beach’ is a disgrace. I was merely reflecting what new Labour voters and everybody else was thinking. Where’s the prime minister? Where is he?” He claimed that some family members and “leading Labour figures” agreed that “it needed to be said”. But John Prescott, the deputy prime minister, was said to be “incandescent with rage”. Asked for his reaction, he shook his head and replied: “You must be bloody joking.”

Edited by Riser