House Price Crash Forum

Who Are The Most Overpaid People ?

I saw this poll at "Here Is The City News" and thought that it might be illuminating to see how differently the HPC universe sees things relative to the HITCN universe.

There results are contained in the link below :

http://news.hereisthecity.com/news/business_news/10008.cntns

I didn't want to bias the voting by showing their results directly in this post but I was amazed at how City people see the relative value of the contribution of some of these groups.

I saw this poll at "Here Is The City News" and thought that it might be illuminating to see how differently the HPC universe sees things relative to the HITCN universe.

There results are contained in the link below :

http://news.hereisthecity.com/news/business_news/10008.cntns

I didn't want to bias the voting by showing their results directly in this post but I was amazed at how City people see the relative value of the contribution of some of these groups.

Going by the results I to the survey, I think they must have taken it at Liverpool Street at 7.30am.

Are you comparing base salaries, or including all the other sweeteners, brown envelopes, deals, and post-job promises...?

Also, are you comparing relative worth to a society?

I suppose that the answers that people pick contain an implicit answer to your questions.

From my personal point of view, I would consider lifetime earnings resulting from the job that people do. I did consider the relative worth / damage to society as a whole in my choice.

Going by the results I to the survey, I think they must have taken it at Liverpool Street at 7.30am.

It is an "insider" publication so I am not that surprised.

So far, footballers seem to be taking a strong early lead here too though.

Guest Noodle

It is an "insider" publication so I am not that surprised.

So far, footballers seem to be taking a strong early lead here too though.

Which is mental. As much as I'm passionate about hating football . . . for all I know football didn't get government bail outs. If they want to pay people that much to kick a ball about and people will pay to watch such dullness . . . so be it. Not over paid.

Edited by Noodle

Which is mental. As much as I'm passionate about hating football . . . for all I know football didn't get government bail outs. If they want to pay people that much to kick a ball about and people will pay to watch such dullness . . . so be it. Not over paid.

A different view of the situation might be that theft from nations by the ruling elites has enabled at least some of the recent massive increases in footballers' pay. Think Thaskin and Abromovich ......

Also, the tools used by the owners of some clubs (think Liverpool and Man U) are the very same tools used to manipulate house prices higher.

Finally, the pay of footballers has negatively impacted the aspirations and expectations of our society.

I personally don't see footballer pay as being benign.

Guest Noodle

A different view of the situation might be that theft from nations by the ruling elites has enabled at least some of the recent massive increases in footballers' pay. Think Thaskin and Abromovich ......

Also, the tools used by the owners of some clubs (think Liverpool and Man U) are the very same tools used to manipulate house prices higher.

Finally, the pay of footballers has negatively impacted the aspirations and expectations of our society.

Yes. I hate football! :angry:

Surely this is the definition of a bubble . . . about to pop?

Yes. I hate football! :angry:

Surely this is the definition of a bubble . . . about to pop?

I certainly hope so.

I wish that the same thing would happen to F1 so that we could get back to racing and mechanical grip and away from aerodynamics and processions.

I am a car guy but I prefer watching MotoGP to cars at the moment.

Sorry but this post has go to be one of the funniest I have read in a while.

So because theft from nations occured by ruling elites, it's the footballer's fault ?

Footballers increased house prices ? Do you know how many footballers are on the kind of money needed to make this absurd statement true ? About 1%. Most footballers earn considerably less than your Banker or CEO .

To get to the absolute top in football you need real talent, dedication, skill, desire and a little bit of luck along the way.

It's not "who you know" as it is in most well paid professions. the top jobs in Banking for example.

If you think the amount of money sloshing around in the game is the footballers fault then you are very misguided.

Sorry but this post has go to be one of the funniest I have read in a while.

So because theft from nations occured by ruling elites, it's the footballer's fault ?

Footballers increased house prices ? Do you know how many footballers are on the kind of money needed to make this absurd statement true ? About 1%. Most footballers earn considerably less than your Banker or CEO .

To get to the absolute top in football you need real talent, dedication, skill, desire and a little bit of luck along the way.

It's not "who you know" as it is in most well paid professions. the top jobs in Banking for example.

If you think the amount of money sloshing around in the game is the footballers fault then you are very misguided.

I didn't put my argument very well.

Footballers get paid a huge amount of money for trying to kick a ball between a few bits of wood. While I accept that it takes a lot of skill to do this exceptionally well and that enough people are willing to buy tickets, replica jerseys and expensive TV packages to watch these skilled people do this, there is no real value being added to society by their activities.

To the downside, we have a changing culture where people aspire to being athletes, film stars and "celebrities". The strength of the fantasy is being fuelled by pay. I would rather live in a world where people aspire to do something useful like engineering, science, teaching, nursing, plumbing, becoming an electrician etc.

I don't blame footballers for what they earn. I blame society for making it possible for them (and many other athletes) to earn huge amounts of money for something that is essentially pointless.

To the downside, we have a changing culture where people aspire to being athletes, film stars and "celebrities".

What is wrong with the first one ? Or in certain cases of real talent - the second one ?

Aspring to be at the upmost of your physical fitness and able to earn a living from it ? Rather a good thing to aspire to IMO. It is also of worth to society IMO. These people do all they can to ensure they are not a burden to society in terms of health and well being.

If everyone in the UK aspired to be an athlete ? This country would be in a far better state than it is today.

I totally agree with the aspiring just to be a 'celebrity' though. That is a waste of time and effort.

Guest absolutezero

Apart from Banksters who are not really "paid" in the ordinary sense of that word, are the all time highest earners: vetinary surgeons.

That's what happens if you privatise medicine.

After all veterinary services are basically private medicine.

What is wrong with the first one ? Or in certain cases of real talent - the second one ?

Aspring to be at the upmost of your physical fitness and able to earn a living from it ? Rather a good thing to aspire to IMO. It is also of worth to society IMO. These people do all they can to ensure they are not a burden to society in terms of health and well being.

If everyone in the UK aspired to be an athlete ? This country would be in a far better state than it is today.

I totally agree with the aspiring just to be a 'celebrity' though. That is a waste of time and effort.

I'd say:

1. Bankers (well financiers) for getting 200% on top of the principle on a mortgage for doing NOTHING.

2. Lawyers (They don't even practice law these days and know nothing about the law)

3. Politicians

Together these 3 do immense damage to ordinary people and society, they should be locked up rather than paid.

I should have said footballers rather than athletes in general.

I don't begrudge them a penny. At the moment can anybody tell me a group of people who give more joy to millions of people the world over than Premier League footballers? I travel the world and to see hundreds of locals crammed in to a bar in Kuala Lumpur and being overjoyed at being able to watch their heros is great, superb. I don't care if you like the game or not, nobody I know huddles over a telly watching a banker bang a keyboard.

Edited by tomwatkins
Guest Noodle

I certainly hope so.

I wish that the same thing would happen to F1 so that we could get back to racing and mechanical grip and away from aerodynamics and processions.

I am a car guy but I prefer watching MotoGP to cars at the moment.

This is for you . . .

valentino_rossi,_motogp_500cc,_repsol_honda.jpg

So what does a tube driver earn?

I think its 40K+...depends upon over-time

(not entirely sure...but seem to remember from article in torygraph..last time they were going on strike..Bob Crow etc...)

I know a software engineer who gave it up to drive trains