House Price Crash Forum
Smell the Fear

Is Hpc A Landlord Vi Website?

I'm not saying I believe this, just interested in the reasons why it couldn't be true (if any).

Is it possible that this website is set up and controlled by landlord VIs? The main and most vociferous contributers are very pro-rental, which suits landlords. If they are "in it for the long-run" they will not be concerned so much by short-term price increases/decreases, but interested in having a large number of people available to rent their properties.

If prices drop, they can pile in, buy more property and gain a greater degree of control of the market for accomodation in the UK. Once they have a large enough portion, they can act as a cartel to control rents at a suitably high level.

Why isn't this true? :ph34r:

I am just an STR like many others on this forum.

I promote the rental argument simply because it's cheaper than buying and it gives one the flexibility to sit back and watch events unfold. Will I buy again? Certainly, but only when prices are right, and it will be to buy a house to live in.

Do I hope for a house price correction? Yes, because I actually believe it will be good for just about everyone; for FTBs, for those who wish to move up the property rungs and to generally make housing more affordable for all.

Edited by Red Baron

You forget one thing:

If HPC happens, the impact on the economy will be massive and you will see:

- Credit crunch for all except those with big cash piles, including BTL: without borrowing they will NOT BE ABLE to buy any more houses

- Large numbers of people revising their rental arrangements down (living with relatives, house sharing)

- Large numbers of houseowners renting out rooms to be able to cope (noticed how these are virtually non-existant at the moment compared to 10 years ago?)

- A potential backlash by the public opinion against BTL which may encourage the passing of new anti-BTL laws or increased taxation

HPC and recession a golden age for BTLs? I THINK NOT.

You forget one thing:

- Credit crunch for all except those with big cash piles, including BTL: without borrowing they will NOT BE ABLE to buy any more houses

- Large numbers of people revising their rental arrangements down (living with relatives, house sharing)

- Large numbers of houseowners renting out rooms to be able to cope (noticed how these are virtually non-existant at the moment compared to 10 years ago?)

- A potential backlash by the public opinion against BTL which may encourage the passing of new anti-BTL laws or increased taxation

HPC and recession a golden age for BTLs?  I THINK NOT.

I am not thinking of BTLers, but old fashioned professional landlords who own hundreds or thousands of properties, with only small % of it financed by debt. I can't imagine a "credit crunch" if prices drop by 20-30%......its a bit of a doomsday scenario, as only a small propertion of all homeowners and BTLers have purchased at the top and will be hit by negative equity.

I'm not saying I believe this, just interested in the reasons why it couldn't be true (if any).

Is it possible that this website is set up and controlled by landlord VIs? The main and most vociferous contributers are very pro-rental, which suits landlords. If they are "in it for the long-run" they will not be concerned so much by short-term price increases/decreases, but interested in having a large number of people available to rent their properties.

If prices drop, they can pile in, buy more property and gain a greater degree of control of the market for accomodation in the UK. Once they have a large enough portion, they can act as a cartel to control rents at a suitably high level.

When I first started looking on this site I tracked the server down to a large City of London Lawyers Firm.

I thought they were running this site for their own amusement and something to chat about @ boozy 4 hr lunches! :D

The Fact that the HPC logo has something akin to a "Devil's tail" and that is attached to the letter 'p' which could have several connotations :o

ie as referring to St Peter - the saint of the satanic Apostate of Rome :ph34r:

And the head guru on here is Dr Bubb as in (baalzebub - lord of the flies) :D

Makes things 'interesting' :lol::lol:

I am not thinking of BTLers, but old fashioned professional landlords who own hundreds or thousands of properties, with only small % of it financed by debt. I can't imagine a "credit crunch" if prices drop by 20-30%......its a bit of a doomsday scenario, as only a small propertion of all homeowners and BTLers have purchased at the top and will be hit by negative equity.

"old fashioned professional landlords who own hundreds or thousands of properties, with only small % of it financed by debt" :lol::lol::lol:

Well, how many do you know of? They will have a huge impact across the country, NOT. :rolleyes:

You don't need to be affected by negative equity in order to be pinched by the credit crunch. Banks will tighten lending criteria, simple as this.

When I first started looking on this site I tracked the server down to a large City of London Lawyers Firm.

I thought they were running this site for their own amusement and something to chat about @ boozy 4 hr lunches!  :D

The Fact that the HPC logo has something akin to a "Devil's tail" and that is attached to the letter 'p' which could have several connotations  :o

ie as referring to St Peter - the saint of the satanic Apostate of Rome  :ph34r:

And the head guru on here is Dr Bubb as in (baalzebub - lord of the flies)  :D

Makes things 'interesting'  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:

Do you do this for a living?

EDITED:

Before the sheep get hold of it i would suggest that Bubb as in bubble and that tail is a arrow pointing down with emphasise on Price.. or is that just what _they_ want us to think.

Edited by theChuz

Do you do this for a living?

EDITED:

Before the sheep get hold of it i would suggest that Bubb as in bubble and that tail is a arrow pointing down with emphasise on Price.. or is that just what _they_ want us to think.

Lawyers Firm = True (until WebMeister say's I am mistaken!)

Rest = Tongue in Cheek!

Do I do this for a living?

Yes and No

I have been 'illuminated' to see the World in a different light and have recently come to the end of Seven Years of tuition.

Yes this website was set up by someone who wanted to buy a house, then I'll bet they want to pick up a few BTL's as well. :D

Yes this website was set up by someone who wanted to buy a house, then I'll bet they want to pick up a few BTL's as well.  :D

TTRTR - I have to admit (shockedly) that i agree with you on this one, however I am happy to admit that I won't be one of them.

There's a need for LL's in this country, and there's a desire to own ones' own property.

Personally when I think it's time to buy I'll buy for myself and that's it. I've got a good job that I enjoy, and couldn't imagine anything as mind numbingly boring as manaing a property portfolio. Others will obviously dissagree. It's a personal taste thing.

You forget one thing:

This is what I dont get.

A credit crunch will effect everyone - especially FTBs who perhaps do not have a long credit history and are a higher risk. It does not serve their ends either.

As an aside, I think the renting rooms thing has to do with a tax credit introduced in the last couple of years.

This is what I dont get.

A credit crunch will effect everyone - especially FTBs who perhaps do not have a long credit history and are a higher risk. It does not serve their ends either.

As an aside, I think the renting rooms thing has to do with a tax credit introduced in the last couple of years.

Needle, my aim was to reply to the OP who tried to portrait the HPC as a golden age for BTLs.

I agree, a credit crunch will affect everyone, including FTBs. However I can't see FTBs being deemed as a higher risk.

If you were a bank and you wanted to lend money as an HPC was happening, would you (all other things being equal, deposit etc.):

a/ lend to a BTL investors who is already leveraged and whose existing debt is backed by a falling asset class

b/ lend to a FTB who has no debts and can sit in his house to ride out the rest of the storm?

I didn't know about a tax credit. Does this dissuade people from letting out a room?

Edited by Jayne The Payne

I don't know but as always, those affected will be looking for somebody to hold responsible.  BTL looks like a good target to me.  I certainly wouldn't be surprised if increased taxation was going to be on the cards.

You guys get carried away with yourselves! I'm a FTB and have absolutely no intention of ever getting into the BTL market. It's just not my thing simply from a hassle point of view...problems with tenants, boilers breaking down, fluctuating yields....no thanks!

I'm just waiting for the population to wake and smell the coffee of reality, not hype, and for house prices to return to affordable levels once they fall out of favour with the get rich quick crowd who will all pile into something new once property is no longer fashionable and anticipated future capital gains are just pie in the sky (which they are already)!

...and as for this stuff about HPC being run by a "City of London Lawyers Firm", well for those of you that have met myself and Bubble Pricker then you know it's not.

This is an online community which was originally set up for FTB's but has since attracted an equal amount of STR's....and that's about it, there are no hidden motives behind this site! My own vested interest is that I am simply unable to afford to buy a house and used to think it was just me that thought something was fundamentally wrong until I set up this site and realised that there are hundreds of thousands of us all in the same boat...and to all those people I would say, get rid of any debt, save, save, save and BE PATIENT. Good things come to those who wait!

You guys get carried away with yourselves!  I'm a FTB and have absolutely no intention of ever getting into the BTL market.  It's just not my thing simply from a hassle point of view...problems with tenants, boilers breaking down, fluctuating yields....no thanks!

I'm just waiting for the population to wake and smell the coffee of reality, not hype, and for house prices to  return to affordable levels once they fall out of favour with the get rich quick crowd who will all pile into something new once property is no longer fashionable and anticipated future capital gains are just pie in the sky (which they are already)!

...and as for this stuff about HPC being run by a "City of London Lawyers Firm", well for those of you that have met myself and Bubble Pricker then you know it's not.

This is an online community which was originally set up for FTB's but has since attracted an equal amount of STR's....and that's about it, there are no hidden motives behind this site!  My own vested interest is that I am simply unable to afford to buy a house and used to think it was just me that thought something was fundamentally wrong until I set up this site and realised that there are hundreds of thousands of us all in the same boat...and to all those people I would say, get rid of any debt, save, save, save and BE PATIENT.  Good things come to those who wait!

.....and keep paying rent to a landlord.

Only joking. It is Saturday, so you all deserve a little light hearted fun. Now get back to crunching land registry data and plotting the downfall of the landlord class.

This is an online community which was originally set up for FTB's but has since attracted an equal amount of STR's....and that's about it, there are no hidden motives behind this site!

Well said. I do find it interesting how the site has attracted so many STR-types.

I think they're a lucky bunch, who've already been a part of the homeowning set and chosen to opt out.

FTBs like myself have never had that, or even have the luxury of being able to choose to sell a house to bank what is in many cases a lot of equity.

In many ways, STRs and FTBs are worlds apart, yet somehow we co-exist here.

You guys get carried away with yourselves!  I'm a FTB and have absolutely no intention of ever getting into the BTL market.  It's just not my thing simply from a hassle point of view...problems with tenants, boilers breaking down, fluctuating yields....no thanks!

I'm just waiting for the population to wake and smell the coffee of reality, not hype, and for house prices to  return to affordable levels once they fall out of favour with the get rich quick crowd who will all pile into something new once property is no longer fashionable and anticipated future capital gains are just pie in the sky (which they are already)!

This is an online community which was originally set up for FTB's but has since attracted an equal amount of STR's....and that's about it, there are no hidden motives behind this site!  My own vested interest is that I am simply unable to afford to buy a house and used to think it was just me that thought something was fundamentally wrong until I set up this site and realised that there are hundreds of thousands of us all in the same boat...and to all those people I would say, get rid of any debt, save, save, save and BE PATIENT.  Good things come to those who wait!

Sounds like VI talk to me

:D

Guest Charlie The Tramp
and to all those people I would say, get rid of any debt, save, save, save and BE PATIENT.  Good things come to those who wait!

I can assure you WM that I will be attending your house warming sooner than you think. <_<

I thought it a little bit suss too.

Notice the raft of people who joined in mid August 2004 with between 2500-3500 posts.

Bulls and bears.

Wonder if its all some social experiment - its a great way to get market information, no?

Set up a website and let the insiders, outsiders and VIs bicker.

In the meantime, use the information to alter your portfolio, finish your thesis on "The Internets effect on the Housing Market" or just phish for info.....

I have raised suspicions before that some of the bulls are "staff" generating traffic.

But you could say the same now about the bears, I suppose..... ;)

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Notice the raft of people who joined in mid August 2004 with between 2500-3500 posts.

Bulls and bears.

The reason is simple.

That was when the old forum was closed down and the new registered forum born.

All the old posters simply registered for the new forum. <_<

The reason is simple.

That was when the old forum was closed down and the new registered forum born.

All the old posters simply registered for the new forum.  <_<

Which is what I did... B)