House Price Crash Forum

Dutch Property Market

DTMark

HOLA441

As per title of thread, since we're moving to the Netherlands in the next year or so, I wanted to find out about the Dutch market - specifically, Amsterdam and/or Haarlem.

Is there a site like this with discussion on their property market (even if it is in Dutch, as we're trying to learn it, so it would help us on both counts!)

********************* has an "Other Countries" section but not much in there. I know we have a couple of posters from the Netherlands - any sites you'd recommend?

HOLA442
HOLA443
As per title of thread, since we're moving to the Netherlands in the next year or so, I wanted to find out about the Dutch market - specifically, Amsterdam and/or Haarlem.

Is there a site like this with discussion on their property market (even if it is in Dutch, as we're trying to learn it, so it would help us on both counts!)

********************* has an "Other Countries" section but not much in there. I know we have a couple of posters from the Netherlands - any sites you'd recommend?

I looked for (dutch) discussion on the Dutch housing market while I still lived in Holland at the start

of the year but didn't find anything. I could only find a site plotting the NVM (dutch national estate agency association) figures (dehypotheker.nl, mortgage brokers).

I'm sure you'll like Holland, though you're sure to miss some stuff from blighty. And if you're

moving for cheaper housing: expect to have to wait for interest rate rises from the ECB.

Pent

HOLA444

We really like the Netherlands, and we have wanted to emigrate to there for some years now.

It's nothing at all to do with property prices, though I do want to find out about the state of the market there and whether it has the same 15 year boom/bust cycle that ours does so as to make sure we don't buy at the peak although we're not looking for a "get out clause" to be able to come back to the UK afterwards, it will definitely be a home rather than an investment.

We'll rent at first for a year or so then look to buy, the next time we go over we want to try and get out and about some more and really narrow down the areas we want to live in; Haarlem is the favourite very closely followed by Amsterdam - though I don't think we'll be able to afford that townhouse in Prinsengracht just yet!

Cheers for the info, will check it out.

HOLA445
HOLA446

If you can understand a bit of Dutch then www.funda.nl is the Dutch equivalent of Rightmove. This can give you an idea of what is available in the areas that you are interested in.

Also, for house price trends you can find graphs etc. at www.nvm.nl (in the section marktontwikkeling). These give breakdowns of prices in the Netherlands per region according to housing type. From these it should be realtively easy to get an accurate idea of what you will have to pay. (NVM is the Dutch Federation of Estate Agents.)

Interestingly the Dutch market boomed rather earlier than in the UK but flattened about 4 years ago. Since then it has crept up slightly.

Is this an example of a soft landing we all say can't happen in the UK?

Also, bear in mind that in Holland it is possible (even normal) to put in an offer below the asking price. However if the vendor accepts your offer then this is binding (so that if you later change your mind this will be very expensive!).

In Holland purchase costs including tax will normally be about 7-8% of the price for existing houses. For new builds the costs are normally included in the price (I also don't understand the logic of this but bear it in mind in comparing prices).