House Price Crash Forum

Is It Me Or Is Everything Getting More Expensive

Johnny

HOLA441

I saw an article about car insurance prices on the increase last week but didn't think much about it. I have just received my renewal for my car insurance policy and to my surprise it has increased by 8% on last years price. I've shopped around and this is still the cheapest policy I can get hold of.

Everything to me seems to be increasing well in excess of inflation figures this year, house prices, car insurance, house insurance, council tax, rates ......... what a state this countries in or going to be in - lets see how bad it gets 1 year further on from now !!!!!!!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car...page_id=35&ct=5

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car...8&in_page_id=35

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car...9&in_page_id=35

;)

HOLA442
HOLA443

I shop about every year this year for the first time one insurer scooped all my business, 2 cars and house contents, I saved £277.

Norwich Union.

They have never been able to match any of my previous insurers.

I wonder if now they have outsourced they are preditory pricing or if there cost are now that much lower?

HOLA444
I shop about every year this year for the first time one insurer scooped all my business, 2 cars and house contents, I saved £277.

Norwich Union.

They have never been able to match any of my previous insurers.

I wonder if now they have outsourced they are preditory pricing or if there cost are now that much lower?

I've been with Norwich union for years now but the premiums have increased this year, still the cheapest though.

Edited by Johnny

HOLA445
I've been with Norwich union for years now but the premiums have increased this year, still the cheapest though.

I have to say this thread isn't quite right from my own prospective.

currently paying £350 a year, 8 years ago was paying £900 third party, I'd say its got cheaper but this has been influanced by moving to a nicer area and being that little bit older and therefore less likey to speed down town centre streets with my sound system blasting bumpty bumpty music in a totally pimped out ride with total disregard for mine or other persons safety.

Edited by Dicky

HOLA446
HOLA447

I use Tesco.com, always been the cheapest for the last 5 years.

I don't understand how these things don't register in the inflation figures. House prices have trebled in the last 7 years, Council tax seems to have doubled, petrol is at a record high, insurance is high, anything that requires UK labour (e.g. car service) costs a great deal.

HOw have we managed to have inflation <2% for the last 7 years?

HOLA448

Easy to keep inflation down.

Inflation is measure on what is known as the Chancellors shopping basket. (I kid you not)

Now they load the basket up each month and total the goods up.

Something they dont put in the basket is house prices, Oil, Council Tax, Income Tax and many other high inflation goods.

When they see a particular product on the list has gone up, they remove it from the basket and replace it with something else. A recent example was a Laptop Computer, the reason was simple these products have reduced considerably due to Technology advances, recession in the chip business, and the fact they are all manufactured now offshore in China and Eastern Europe.

Now you and I know that your average weekly shopping basket does not have a laptop computer in it, however it does show that Brown is doing a fantastic job in keeping inflation down, or rather a fantastic job at keeping the real figures out of sight.

HOLA449

Inflation is measure on what is known as the Chancellors shopping basket. (I kid you not)

Something they dont put in the basket is house prices, Oil, Council Tax, Income Tax and many other high inflation goods.

When they see a particular product on the list has gone up, they remove it from the basket and replace it with something else. A recent example was a Laptop Computer, the reason was simple these products have reduced considerably due to Technology advances, recession in the chip business, and the fact they are all manufactured now offshore in China and Eastern Europe.

Now you and I know that your average weekly shopping basket does not have a laptop computer in it, however it does show that Brown is doing a fantastic job in keeping inflation down, or rather a fantastic job at keeping the real figures out of sight.

Is there an index that does include the more relevant things, without rubbish like dvd players or tv's. I would like a more figure which includes the more essential items such as the things you have mentioned, along with food, public transport costs, nursery fees, gas/electric. Things like DVD players we dont need so are not important.

I would like to know how much the cost of the things that are important to me are rising, not just a loa of tat.

Cheers

HOLA4410

You and I both notice what we term as disposable income getting thinner and thinner. That is the real acid test.

Its comical a Government telling people they must save 20% of their take home pay whilst they take 40% in taxes direct and indirect from the basic taxpayer.

I dont know of any resources available to give the stats we all feel as every years goes by. I do know that we are all worse off, more indebted, and less likely to be in a position to support ourselves and our children since Labour came to power.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

increased/decreased taxes will never be included in the inflation figures as they're a transfer of income from one party to another(you to the government)...the purchasing power of each pound doesn't change just who's spending it.....

Edited by Michael