House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
needle

The Worm Has Turned

Its increasingly obvious to me that the uber-bears (not the regular bears - of which I am one) are adopting the tactics of the uber-bulls who used to occupy this site spouting their nonsense.

I put up a perfectly innocent thread asking a question that any self-aware person would ask and..... it ended up with a good deal of mud-slinging and emotive rubbish being posted.

There were people pushing political agendas ("owning a house is my right" - its not having shelter is a right, owning a home is not), people living in fairy tales ("why cant I afford to live in my area" - because its too expensive), people being malicious (anyone who took a risk and bought a house deserves to get shafted), people with misguided perceptions ("London is the crime centre of the universe"), US-style survivalists (stock up on tinned food and gold bullion) and people who are just down on everything (get out now england is a doomed hell hole), racists (its all them foreigners buying houses wot caused the problem) and those who take anything that anyone says as a personal insult, conspiracy theorists (the banks want us as slaves)....I could go on....

See, what will happen now (below) is that the lunatic fringe will have a pop at me not my suggestions, ideas or positions.

They sound to me (with a few honorable exceptions), just like the bulls who cannot see beyond their own noses.

When I began reading it seemed like a board to exchange opinions, information and ideas. A counter to the b**ls**t peddled by the media. People were looking for balance, justice, a measured response and to have our case heard - now the board looks like a s**t flinging exercise for menopausal lunatics - the voices of reason (bulls and bears) have been drowned out.

EDIT - sorry mods - posted in wrong forum - can u move? :blink:

Edited by needle

Well somebody had to reply :ph34r:

I put up a perfectly innocent thread asking a question that any self-aware person would ask and..... it ended up with a good deal of mud-slinging and emotive rubbish being posted.

If the thread you are talking about is this one http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...opic=13679&st=0 The Great British Sense Of Entitlement.

I’ve read all four pages of it, and all I saw was reasoned debate, I do however see much condescending /sanctimonious comment in the above post <_<

And I suspect this current fit of pique on your part is merely a direct result of the fact that a more sustained and reasoned debate sank your perceived logic. But that sometimes happens, you'll just have to learn to live with it. However if you cannot not countenance your view of reality being questioned, may I suggest you stop posting on public forums. ;)

Its increasingly obvious to me that the uber-bears (not the regular bears - of which I am one) are adopting the tactics of the uber-bulls who used to occupy this site spouting their nonsense.

There were people pushing political agendas ("owning a house is my right" - its not having shelter is a right, owning a home is not), people living in fairy tales ("why cant I afford to live in my area" - because its too expensive), people being malicious (anyone who took a risk and bought a house deserves to get shafted), people with misguided perceptions ("London is the crime centre of the universe"), US-style survivalists (stock up on tinned food and gold bullion) and people who are just down on everything (get out now england is a doomed hell hole), racists (its all them foreigners buying houses wot caused the problem) and those who take anything that anyone says as a personal insult, conspiracy theorists (the banks want us as slaves)....I could go on....

See, what will happen now (below) is that the lunatic fringe will have a pop at me not my suggestions, ideas or positions.

They sound to me (with a few honorable exceptions), just like the bulls who cannot see beyond their own noses.

When I began reading it seemed like a board to exchange opinions, information and ideas. A counter to the b**ls**t peddled by the media. People were looking for balance, justice, a measured response and to have our case heard - now the board looks like a s**t flinging exercise for menopausal lunatics - the voices of reason (bulls and bears) have been drowned out.

EDIT - sorry mods - posted in wrong forum - can u move?  :blink:

You are right about this. Moderate bears (those predicting falls of between 10-20% spread over 3 years) get slated by uber bears who are desperate for a 40% drop. They don't seem to understand that just because they are emotionally desperate for an event to occur that event is no more or less likely to occur as they wish it.

The uber bears have absurd credos (e.g. that housing has to be 3.5 x av. income) which are no longer relevant (due to much lower interest rates than the earlier period for which the 3.5 multiple held + easier availability of mortgages). They latch on to any signs of stagnation/small downturn and then blow it up into an apocalyptic fantasy based on nothing more than their own delusions.

I would like house prices to fall btw, but I am a realist and atm I just can't see them going down by much more than 10-15%. For that to happen we would need a base tate of >6% (not gonna happen) or massively higher unemployment. IMO we are going to experience a steady economic downturn, but I think we will avoid outright recession and that HPs will slowly come off and then stagnate for quite a while. The uber bears just can't accept that they have missed the boat and that we are v.unlikely to see HPS drop back to 2002 prices.

@Catch22

Yes, you are correct most of the posts are reasonable on "my" thread but there are other threads where the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Here are some small exapmles from my thread

"Hit the nail on the head! This sort of "I had to work for years to bla bla" attitude really annoys me when it comes to houses. A house is a basic human requirement."

I agree but people dont have the right to own a home.

The remarks about crime and "you should emigrate - we're all doomed" are a tad over the top.

I think there is a feeling that some people have lost the run of themselves on the boards. Thanks for the feedback though.

@Catch22

Yes, you are correct most of the posts are reasonable on "my" thread but there are other threads where the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

needle,

I do agree with what your saying regards a few "uber bulls" and I do agree it makes it harder to educate those maybe under the influence of the VI's who may think of looking up this site, when confronted by such venom. I just did not think your remarks were fair on the majority of posters contributing to your thread. Glad that's cleared up....I thought you had taken a funny pill ;)

I can appreciate some of the young guns being very frustrated by the apparent lack of injustice in today's society. But as I've been a home owner for the past 37 years [now STR] all I can say to them is be patient, if this market does not undergo a correction it will be the first time ever. Meaning that particular scenario ain't going to happen. But being young and feeling vulnerable can make some people fearful and as a result very angry. You don't win friends by making enemies, even "Numb Nuts Dubyia" has worked that one out. So lets hope the "Angry Brigade" realise that's its better to educate people than alienate people.

I don't want to gloat at some bodies possible miss fortune, I'd rather try and make them aware of what in reality lies ahead. Lets be honest, given the opportunity we would all want to profit from our investment, it is human nature. Those who "vilify" those that have, are no better than those that "taunt" those that have not, both invariably come over as being pricks.

edit:

Edhutch sees falls of 10-15% I personally expect it to go lower 20-30%, it could go even lower. Hell fire 150% increases in some places in under 4 years, 44% increases in parts of the country most folk would turn their noses up at, in the last 12 months, Think about it.

Edited by Catch22

You are right about this. Moderate bears (those predicting falls of between 10-20% spread over 3 years) get slated by uber bears who are desperate for a 40% drop.

Probably because the idea that house prices will only drop 10-20% after tripling in only a few years during a period of minimal wage inflation is ludicrous, as is the idea that a 10-20% drop in prices would let FTBs back into the market.

Hell, there are plenty of houses out there _right now_ that have had to cut 10-20% off the asking price to sell.

The uber bears have absurd credos (e.g. that housing has to be 3.5 x av. income) which are no longer relevant (due to much lower interest rates than the earlier period for which the 3.5 multiple held + easier availability of mortgages).

'It's all different this time!'

Same old same old.

Edited by MarkG