House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dunroamin

After The Crash ...

If going on what Riser said in an earlier thread about bottom being about 2009 (which i tend to agree with), this means all us renters will be doing so till then if we're waiting for the bottom.

Has anyone actually changed their minds about being an OO and now prefers the renting thang? (apart from fed_up_renting of course!)

Personally not bothered anymore (not had any renting nightmares yet - and still don't know where i'm gonna settle)

Does anyone think we can may go the way of the continent and stick with renting - or is everyone itching to get back in? (or just in for the ftb's)

(i can imagine its pretty rubbish if ure still with the parentals. i went back home twice after leaving - much to the despair of me dad!!!!)

I have a fairly short attention span and have changed job 11 times in my working life (I am now 35)

All other things being equal I am 'renting neutral'. However, the flexibility of renting is a genuinely big plus and I would be inclined to carry on doing so unless my habitual restlessness calmed down (and buying at that point made good financial sense)

Mrs Starcrossed, however, is keen to buy and I will do so eventually in the cause of marital compromise.

But not yet!

while the work keeps flowing(and they keep paying for my digs),I'm sitting tight until the trough!!!!!!

...I really like this phase of a recession!,everybody is trying to figure out how to cut costs!!!....which is my job(factory automation consultant)....so while eveyone else suffers,I cream it!!!

I really want an old fashioned study, art deco green lamp, wood panel walls, books everywhere and a table in the center facing the door with an ultra modern PC setup.

I need to be able to modify and rewire it to a certain extent so i have to buy and not rent.

I really want an old fashioned study, art deco green lamp, wood panel walls, books everywhere and a table in the center facing the door with an ultra modern PC setup.

I need to be able to modify and rewire it to a certain extent so i have to buy and not rent.

where you can spin in one sock to your hearts content :lol:

Does anyone think we can may go the way of the continent and stick with renting - or is everyone itching to get back in? (or just in for the ftb's)

I still definitely want to buy - although by the time 2009 arrives I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even be in the U.K. then.

This country seems to be in terminal decline.

You are every woman's dream. Seriously a man with a bit of taste....I love it!!

When my family and I went on the global warpath we were forced to procure lorry loads of IKEA shelving and other tat goods for rented places.

Now that we're sadly back in the land of crap we're perfectly equipped for the ordeal or non-owner-occupancy.

Strange thing is, it becomes a habit.

Most profound point I've seen on this website is about no longer needing to spend weekends down Homebase/Wickes/B&Q etc. BLISS.

My wifie however points out you still have to put up with someone else's toilet carpet and all the suspicious stains thereon.

edited due to my illiteracy

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

What are you going to do - knock down a few walls and use the entire ground floor of the 2 up 2 down you will be able to afford after the crash, or use miniature

furniture to create the same effect? :ph34r:

I'm beginning to suspect you are a Forester.

What are you going to do - knock down a few walls and use the entire ground floor of the 2 up 2 down you will be able to afford after the crash, or use miniature

He can borrow my daughter's dolls house furniture if he'd like!

We're staying put till they seem reasonable - i'm not bothered if we don't reach the lowest point when they fall, however when sellers and ea's accept that they can't ask silly prices anymore - is when we'll buy, and i don't think it'll be as long as 2009 once the panic has set in and full horror is realised that the housing market is in an "unreality bubble" - when we buy it'll be for the long term. When i look in our local newspaper without bursting out laughing at the Mickey Mouse figures they think up for some dingehole, that i wouldn't wish my worst enemy to live in - and i can knock some more off - then we'll buy.

Alot can happen in 2 years, i wont be aiming for a 2 up 2 down :) because like the leather face said a few months back FTB'rs expectations are too high.

Im on an above average wage for this area and that is likely to improve significantly again next year. Though like i said alot can happen in 2 years.. i might not even have a job :P

We shall see.

I'm beginning to suspect you are a Forester.

What use would a forester have with books , they can even read over there :lol: only joking of course, i live in tewkesbury known for where the seven meets the avon and an old abbey.

Gotto admit though for all the stick the folks at the forest of dean get i think i would still like to live there, lovely area.

If going on what Riser said in an earlier thread about bottom being about 2009 (which i tend to agree with), this means all us renters will be doing so till then if we're waiting for the bottom.

Has anyone actually changed their minds about being an OO and now prefers the renting thang?

Renting is now a lifestyle choice for young adults:

Young adults are opting for renting in fashionable areas close to their social circles rather than commit themselves to a mortgage - which smacks of having children and getting married, claims a new study.

Their attitude - coupled with the exorbitant cost of property - helps to explain why the percentage of first time buyers in the housing market has dropped from 50 per cent to just 28 per cent.

Seven in 10 (68 per cent) say they prefer to rent because it allows them to live close to their friends. A further two thirds (61 per cent) say renting allows them to live in a better area than they could afford to buy in.

Full story : Young renters shun the property ladder, Daily Telegraph, August 12th

That edition was full of property bearish stories. These includes an editorial on the stellar performance of Aviva and how its ceo thinks shares and saving will give the heave ho to property next year. The paper says "he would think that tho, then proptly agrees with him. Another story about Cherie Blair takes the piss out of property investors woes, speculating as to whether her holiday reading may include "self help for property investors".

The Telegraph has ALWAYS called the stock market more accurately than any other paper, including the Financial Times and Times, so perhaps you might care to chew over the Aviva editorial.

Green horn property investors are about to find out how much "fashion" there is in any investment boom.

Edited by Sledgehead