House Price Crash Forum

Problem with landlady- rent increase

Usually landlady has been fine, we've been in the house for 12 months now and yesterday (4th August) received a letter from the landlady saying she wants to increase the rent by £50 each month and this will take place from this months payment (which is due on August 19th)

Now Im no expert but I dont think this is allowed! Can anyone shed any more light?

Boyfriend is calling citizens advice today but he may not be able to get through so asking you guys as well!

That place is [swearing removed by moderator] hilarious!

On a side note, maybe you can help me with a little problem here, usually the gas/electricity/water/insurance supplier have been fine, we've been paying the bills for 12 months now and yesterday (12th August) received a letter from them saying they want to increase the bill each month, and this will take place from next month!!

Now Im no expert but I dont think this is allowed! Can anyone shed any more light?

Guest Bart of Darkness
On a side note, maybe you can help me with a little problem here, usually the gas/electricity/water/insurance supplier have been fine, we've been paying the bills for 12 months now and yesterday (12th August) received a letter from them saying they want to increase the bill each month, and this will take place from next month!!

The nerve. I'd complain to your MP. ;)

You were bang on OLDFTB when youy called it girly. Never seen so much pointless clutter (most of it pink).

Although they do have a link to the "Vocation" video.

Looks like the landlady is short on cash :)

The answer to that one is simple - just cancel the standing order or direct debit before the payment leaves, and instruct a BACS payment or send a cheque for the original amount, then have the debate.

I'd suggest that when they leave, they withhold the last month's payment altogether in lieu of deposit, and give no more than 15 days notice.

Unless, of course, there's something nasty lurking in their tenancy agreement which they really ought to have read before signing it.

Boyfriend is calling citizens advice today but he may not be able to get through so asking you guys as well!

LOL, the classic "they wouldn't be allowed to do that". As if, in all aspects of life, there's a magic entity looking after your rights for you, making sure that people can't do things to you that "they are not allowed to". How do these people equate this with the fact that people get mugged, robbed, etc. when these things are also "not allowed"? :lol:

As for the boyfriend, he also has no clue if he is actually going to go to "citizens advice". Also, why does she not call them? Does she feel that she needs her man to do it for her cos it's too difficult and, after all, she has handbags to think about?

"Can anyone shed any more light?" It's a real mystery indeed. Does she think that there are some sort of government-published "allowable rents" rather than the landlord just plucking a figure out of the air and seeing if anyone will bite?

These are the kind of people that get parted with their money the easiest I'm afraid.

As my granny used to say, it would make a cat laugh.

LOL, the classic "they wouldn't be allowed to do that".  As if, in all aspects of life, there's a magic entity looking after your rights for you, making sure that people can't do things to you that "they are not allowed to".  How do these people equate this with the fact that people get mugged, robbed, etc. when these things are also "not allowed"?  :lol:

As for the boyfriend, he also has no clue if he is actually going to go to "citizens advice".  Also, why does she not call them?  Does she feel that she needs her man to do it for her cos it's too difficult and, after all, she has handbags to think about?

"Can anyone shed any more light?"  It's a real mystery indeed.  Does she think that there are some sort of government-published "allowable rents" rather than the landlord just plucking a figure out of the air and seeing if anyone will bite?

These are the kind of people that get parted with their money the easiest I'm afraid.

As my granny used to say, it would make a cat laugh.

Oh dearie me, how can you be so cruel to Pixiedust? all she wants is a world full of nice people who stick to their word and buy the house because they said they would. Unfortunately, as her friend Supercali so susinctly puts it "remember that the special person who wants your house could be the 1st one to view or the 100th (hope not!)" I dread to think what would happen if those nasty people got a survey and came back with a lower offer.