House Price Crash Forum

Thank You Hpc

HOLA441

I'm glad for you!

Also, I'm glad for me because I didn't realize that one could get reasonable houses in Dover for that amount. I will be looking for similar, I expect, when I retire (to become an artist). I will have the cash. And I like Dover. It's a nice seaside town, imo.

Good about doing voluntary work also.

PS: Just to let you guys know, I've changed my name from 'Fly by Night' to 'Giordano Bruno' in honour of the philosopher who was burned by the Inquisition in 1600.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_bruno

The artist formally known as....?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Thank You Hpc

For not investing in the Rotundra luxury apartments?

For not going to those £5000 Inside Track courses?

For not buying a overpriced holiday home in Spain/Bulgaria?

For not extracting the free equity [if you are a homeowner] to splash on junk?

For not buying Northern Rock shares? [at 600p]

For not putting more than £35K in one bank? [way before the bank runs]

For not taking out a Ocean Finance Loans/Picture Loans/ etc

The list goes on.... welcome to the real world. You make your own path now.

HOLA444

Nice to hear some good news, unfortunately this house price thing (or lack of one) has ruined my life. :(

Funny how important 'owning' a house (sorry, 'property') has become to your average Brit.

When I think of what I've done over the past 4 years (since STR-ing) it has helped me put my life into perspective enormously...

I got married, travelled the world, made some good friends, worked on some incredible projects and made (and am still making) a modest amount of money from my STR stash.

Owning a property is no longer such a priority to me - perhaps you need to re-evaluate what's really important in life..?

HOLA445

I'm glad for you!

Also, I'm glad for me because I didn't realize that one could get reasonable houses in Dover for that amount. I will be looking for similar, I expect, when I retire (to become an artist). I will have the cash. And I like Dover. It's a nice seaside town, imo.

Good about doing voluntary work also.

PS: Just to let you guys know, I've changed my name from 'Fly by Night' to 'Giordano Bruno' in honour of the philosopher who was burned by the Inquisition in 1600.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_bruno

If you do that I'd suggest somewhere a little further east along the coast than Dover. Central Dover is not quite the nice sea side town of 20 years ago. We have quite a lot of poverty and crime problems mainly due to being the main route for illegals smuggling their way in. Places around Deal are similarly priced without the crime but there are no jobs there at all (shouldn't worry a retired artist though).

HOLA446
HOLA447

Funny how important 'owning' a house (sorry, 'property') has become to your average Brit.

When I think of what I've done over the past 4 years (since STR-ing) it has helped me put my life into perspective enormously...

I got married, travelled the world, made some good friends, worked on some incredible projects and made (and am still making) a modest amount of money from my STR stash.

Owning a property is no longer such a priority to me - perhaps you need to re-evaluate what's really important in life..?

Agree 100%. If we had bought a house a year ago there would no be an orphanage in Uganda which we kept open where 35 kids live.

HOLA448

All very philosophical and laudable and all but I dare say your outlook might be different had you not got the money in the bank from selling your home at/towards the peak of the great housing bubble of 2002-2007.

I wonder how the young couple who bought your place are getting on.

HOLA449

All very philosophical and laudable and all but I dare say your outlook might be different had you not got the money in the bank from selling your home at/towards the peak of the great housing bubble of 2002-2007.

I wonder how the young couple who bought your place are getting on.

You may be right - I guess I'll never know.

But having married someone a few years younger than me (I was lucky to get a grant at uni!) who graduated with 15 k of debt and with virtually no prospect of buying a starter flat, I realised how unfair the HPI bubble was on this generation. I was lucky to have bought in 1996 with a meagre 30K mortgage and very small deposit.

Being with my missus has made me less obsessed with property (and I was obsessed, being from an immigrant family keen to get a foothold in a foreign country/security, etc...) - she's a very happy person who focusses on other things in life rather than stress about when she'll have a big enough deposit to buy a flat (as I did at her age).

p.s. the house I sold was to a BTL, so no worries there...

HOLA4410

If you do that I'd suggest somewhere a little further east along the coast than Dover. Central Dover is not quite the nice sea side town of 20 years ago. We have quite a lot of poverty and crime problems mainly due to being the main route for illegals smuggling their way in. Places around Deal are similarly priced without the crime but there are no jobs there at all (shouldn't worry a retired artist though).

Sounds like sensible advice. Thanks. And yes, lack of jobs wouldn't be a problem for me.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

That's a nice story - especially to the ears of one who is about to STR!

However, STR is a lifestyle choice. Priced out is not, and causes different feelings.