House Price Crash Forum

Thank You Hpc

HOLA441

I started reading HPC in 2007 and it really helped me to be able to articulate a fear that I had about the level of house prices ect (particularly who needed convincing not to buy).

Around a year ago we came into some money (about 70K) and the natural thing to do with it would have been to use it as a deposit, however because I was able to use the arguments from this site to convince the misses (and myself) not to, we put half of the money in various other investment funds instead and spent the other half taking a year out traveling and doing voluntary work. Since then our investments have made a little under 10K and the type of house we want to by has reduced almost by half.

We can now almost afford to buy a simple little house in our town such as this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20661157.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FDover.html%3FsortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses

Which has been reduced from 100K to 60K without a mortgage and on top of that have just had the most amazing year of both our lives.

So thank you HPC and to the posters on here who take the time to educate those of us who otherwise might have made some very costly wrong decisions. Particularly, Realist Bear, Dr Bubb and others who put a lot of thought into their posts.

HOLA442

I started reading HPC in 2007 and it really helped me to be able to articulate a fear that I had about the level of house prices ect (particularly who needed convincing not to buy).

Around a year ago we came into some money (about 70K) and the natural thing to do with it would have been to use it as a deposit, however because I was able to use the arguments from this site to convince the misses (and myself) not to, we put half of the money in various other investment funds instead and spent the other half taking a year out traveling and doing voluntary work. Since then our investments have made a little under 10K and the type of house we want to by has reduced almost by half.

We can now almost afford to buy a simple little house in our town such as this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20661157.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2FDover.html%3FsortByPriceDescending%3Dfalse%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3Dhouses

Which has been reduced from 100K to 60K without a mortgage and on top of that have just had the most amazing year of both our lives.

So thank you HPC and to the posters on here who take the time to educate those of us who otherwise might have made some very costly wrong decisions. Particularly, Realist Bear, Dr Bubb and others who put a lot of thought into their posts.

which investment funds?

HOLA443

Nice to hear a happy ending! Good luck and all the best, and here's to NOT being a wage slave for the next 25 years! :-)

HOLA444

Welcome to the club!!

Edited by urban commando

HOLA445

All the best for the future. Well done

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.rightmove...tyType%3Dhouses

It does look a nice opportunity. I think I'll add it to my portfolio...

HOLA449
HOLA4410

How much???

It'd cost more than that for a nice little terraced house in South Yorkshire, what happened to the North/South divide? :o

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Is that you Bubb?! Realist Bear?! :lol: Just kidding.

Good to see that sensible people get rewarded. Rare thing 'till recently!

And good to see social Darwinism in action.

Good luck in your new house.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Nice to hear some good news, unfortunately this house price thing (or lack of one) has ruined my life. :(

It has delayed mine for some 4 or 5 years. I am very "Tired of Waiting".

But it may be to strong to think it has ruined your whole life.

If you'd like some collective thought about a particular HP related problem, you can start a thread about it, and I am sure many posters will try to help with suggestions - some bad, but most good - at the end, after long debates, etc.

It is usually useful. You should try. Nothing to lose, really.

Good luck,

HOLA4417

I expect the sort of home you can afford with your Pds.70,000 will improve and improve, as the market slides.

Have you thought of moving half of that outside Sterling?

If you moved into US$ at $2.00, you could have seen your Pds.70,000 rise to Pds.100,000

I liked Dollars in Q3.2009, but am looking at other currencies & Gold now as the home for most of my savings

Gold? Really? It may be a bubble. I heard somewhere that other precious metals (platinum? or was it titanium? Sorry, not my area.)did not go up with gold.

Re. currencies, the Eurozone fundamentals seem much more solid in the long term than the USA or UK - despite news coverages of Greece (2% of the Eurozone's GDP) and "PIIGS" news on the tabloids...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Is that you Bubb?! Realist Bear?! :lol: Just kidding.

Good to see that sensible people get rewarded. Rare thing 'till recently!

And good to see social Darwinism in action.

Good luck in your new house.

Thanks, I haven't actually bought the house, I was just using it as an example. I'm going to hold on another year I think.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well done!

May I ask what made you decide on the fund? In general I always thought it would be best to stick to a cheap tracker to capture the market as opposed to trying to beat it with an expensive fund. Did you check out a fund supermarket?

This site also saved me from buying a £125k one-bedroom flat in Scotland when on a wage of £26k........ I bought but pulled out at the last minute. PHEW.

HOLA4423

I expect the sort of home you can afford with your Pds.70,000 will improve and improve, as the market slides.

Have you thought of moving half of that outside Sterling?

If you moved into US$ at $2.00, you could have seen your Pds.70,000 rise to Pds.100,000

I liked Dollars in Q3.2009, but am looking at other currencies & Gold now as the home for most of my savings

Thanks for the tips, though I don't have 70K left now after the traveling. most of it is in non-UK based funds so I guess I have sort of hedged against £ by default. Do you think that is sensible enough or would you hold actual cash in $ ect?

HOLA4424

Thanks for the tips, though I don't have 70K left now after the traveling. most of it is in non-UK based funds so I guess I have sort of hedged against £ by default. Do you think that is sensible enough or would you hold actual cash in $ ect?

Someone "resurrected" today a very old thread that I had started in September, asking exactly that - best ways to hedge against a Sterling crash:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=125905

HOLA4425

I'm glad for you!

Also, I'm glad for me because I didn't realize that one could get reasonable houses in Dover for that amount. I will be looking for similar, I expect, when I retire (to become an artist). I will have the cash. And I like Dover. It's a nice seaside town, imo.

Good about doing voluntary work also.

PS: Just to let you guys know, I've changed my name from 'Fly by Night' to 'Giordano Bruno' in honour of the philosopher who was burned by the Inquisition in 1600.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_bruno

Edited by Giordano Bruno