House Price Crash Forum

Bbc To Close Half Its Website, Close Two Radio Stations, Play Less American Shows. Etc...

HOLA441

Goodbye Beeb link

The BBC is to close down half its website, cut spending on imported American programs and close two radio stations in an admission it has become too large.

In a strategic review to be unveiled next month, The Times said on Friday the corporation would concede it must give space to its commercial rivals which have been hard hit by an advertising downturn during the recession.

The British Broadcasting Corporation, funded by the licence fee levied on all those in Britain who own a television, regularly comes under fire from rivals and other critics for its alleged unfair dominance.

BBC director general Mark Thompson will announce a cut in its website pages by half, backed by a 25 per cent cut in staff and budget, said the paper.

It will further close digital radio stations 6 Music and Asian Network and close outlets that target the teenage market, leaving the area free for rivals.

And it will order its commercial subsidiary BBC Worldwide to focus on activities overseas and get rid of its British magazines arm.

The report, which is being considered by the BBC's governing body, will be seen as an attempt to show a future Conservative government the corporation does not need outside intervention to solve its problems, said The Times.

The Conservative party, tipped to win the next general election and traditionally more hostile towards the BBC than the current Labour administration, is expected to freeze the licence fee.

The BBC review comes as all media are struggling to adapt to rapidly changing technology and markets, and some - notably Rupert Murdoch's News Corp - are pledging to end the era of free news online.

Gee whiz. Why not just fire a handful of their millionaire execs and keep us with the programs we like?

Tw@ts!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Goodbye Beeb link

Gee whiz. Why not just fire a handful of their millionaire execs and keep us with the programs we like?

Tw@ts!

Strange, I was just thinking about this half an hour ago, wondered how long it would be before the BBC website would be shelved/slashed.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Perhaps they could go subscription only, like Sky rather than use violence?

Whaat....?! :huh:

I knew something like this was going to happen in this climate, they're going to slash websites not catering to flagship shows like Doctor Who and axe import shows that get so-so ratings, but is the News Corporation a better choice?

HOLA445

I knew something like this was going to happen in this climate, they're going to slash websites not catering to flagship shows like Doctor Who and axe import shows that get so-so ratings, but is the News Corporation a better choice?

The market is perfectly capable to provide television entertainment and news, no need for the Government to get involved.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

of course.

News Corporation is a choice.

BBC isn't a choice.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

How come US broadcast television is in such a sad shambles then and ITV isn't quite what it once was?

Why do you think internet's so popular? Forums and blogs and wot not . . .

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

How come US broadcast television is in such a sad shambles then and ITV isn't quite what it once was?

Not really my problem, but if you want my opinion... it's because most TV is cr*p and it's hard to make stuff that is compelling so they hook you in with bright colours and shocking images.

The medium is dead because there is no interactivity.

Having said that US television has by far a greater number of new and innovative shows which don't always translate to a UK audience. We have one or two exceptions produced domestically, but mostly it is rubbish and that goes for the peaceful channels as well.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

News Corporation is a choice.

Not if it puts the BBC "out of business". You have a "choice" with US healthcare, as well, but is it a choice if you don't have the money?

BBC isn't a choice.

Oh no, if I don't pay my license fee they're going to send their Sontaran and Dalek stormtroopers after me! I know all along that the elephant in the room is the Internet, but the BBC who put forward the successful I-Player to cater to an online audience, while the US channels are so stupid they do not even factor in TiVo recordings in their ratings let alone arrange something simlar to I-Player (even though Sky are playing it smart).

HOLA4417

I doubt the radio stations cost much, seems a but unnecessary to close them. Still glad to see this bloated taxpayer-fed corporation finally cutting something.

And Mr P - your Tin Foil Hat needs adjusting. They're picking you up again.

I'll only broadcast on Sundays. That Windows Media Guide thing is good. Radio's fantastic.

Fan-dabby-dozzy-tastic!

HOLA4418

BBC is one of the few good thing left in the UK.

If it goes then the Uk will become even more of a craphole.

Righties hate the BBC because its produces a product which is cheap and very good.

In their warped minds this cannot be true because only a private company can do this.

Edited by barry

HOLA4419

BBC is one of the few good thing left in the UK.

If it goes then the Uk will become even more of a craphole.

Righties hate the BBC because its produces a product which is cheap and very good.

In their warped minds this cannot be true because only a private company can do this.

Wow. Either you work for the BBC or you haven't watched it for the past 20 years.

That people hate it because it is very good is certainly an unusual view.

HOLA4420

Wow. Either you work for the BBC or you haven't watched it for the past 20 years.

That people hate it because it is very good is certainly an unusual view.

Never worked for the BBC or any public sector.

Never said people hate it, just right-wing loonies.

Watched some of it in the last 20 years too (BTW you can also listen to it).

Watched the Office, Psychoville, Extras, League of Gentlemen, Alan Partridge, Day Today etc etc.

OK, I admit they make shit like Top Gear as well, but even some petrolhead bores pay their licence.

Edited by barry

HOLA4421

The BBC has its fair share of crap, but do you honestly think that Channel 4 and ITV are really better?! And while American media companies generate a lot of solid programming like CSI, Lost and NCIS, the US broadcast channels are leaking millions of viewers and cancelling more shows than they replace (with reality TV and advertising up the ying-yang).

If private companies are so awsome at everything how come the Feds finally stepped in to upgrade the US broadband when the multiple telecom companies squabbled and shirked investment into the Internet? Private works for specialization and the BBC contracts out to private companies to make a lot of programmes, but free market all the way is a very flawed stance (as is government all the way, hence why the BBC got bloated).

Edited by Big Orange

HOLA4422

What? I hate it because they are biased and akin to a government propaganda arm, and because they try to force me to pay for it, even if I never watch any of their broadcasts and only watch Sky1 say.

The point came when enough was enough and I just unplugged the aerial from the tv. So much better. No propaganda, no adverts. Result. And £150 a year to buy big hard drives, you can guess why I need those.

Edited by Johnny Storm

HOLA4423

I couldn't care less about them cutting TV output but I'm concerned about losing 6 music.

OK, only 650,000 listen to it but it's the only music station I listen to, through the freeview box. It does what Radio 1 used to do before that station was pitched at dribbling 14 year olds. New bands, adult music, NO R&B (a pigeon-hole that covers a plethora of poor music as far as I'm concerned). I started having 6 music on even more after they moved that self-important idiot George Lamb to weekends.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What? I hate it because they are biased and akin to a government propaganda arm, and because they try to force me to pay for it, even if I never watch any of their broadcasts and only watch Sky1 say.

Biased like Fox News, the more infamous branch of News Corporation? I've seen Sky News, that's not so bad, but Channel 4 seems to host the best news and BBC News is still better than ITV or CNN.