House Price Crash Forum

A New Era Of Vigilantism?

tahoma

I am currently enduring Death Wish on ITV. How was Michael Winner ever regarded as a film 'director'?

It was an influential early example of a swathe of vigilante movies in the 70s, including the Dirty Harry series, that appealed to a growing public unrest at violent crime. Could we see this again? Or will political correctness mean we pretend the problem does not exist, moving ever deeper into a notional suburban protectorate?

Discuss.

I am currently enduring Death Wish on ITV. How was Michael Winner ever regarded as a film 'director'?

It was an influential early example of a swathe of vigilante movies in the 70s, including the Dirty Harry series, that appealed to a growing public unrest at violent crime. Could we see this again? Or will political correctness mean we pretend the problem does not exist, moving ever deeper into a notional suburban protectorate?

Discuss.

Don`t think we have ever seen it in the UK? we are probably getting more crime ridden now, wheras the American situation in the 70`s and 80`s was more out of control? hence the standing ovations when Harry shot or mistreated a bad guy, or the roars from cinema audiences (so I`ve heard) when Bronson first appears in the subsequent D.W films, he is usually walking among other pedestrians in a crowded street, then as the camera follows him turns to face it (or was that only D.W 2?) at this point the audience goes wild because they know he is out to kick some ass! I heard that Clint Eastwood knew it was getting out of hand when people started giving him guns to autograph...as Harry Callahan. IMO the first Death Wish is a classic film, and up to D.W 3 they are pretty good, they made about five sequels I think? by the last one Bronson looks frankly too old to be running around topping people.

Archived