House Price Crash Forum

Traffic

HOLA441

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a drop in road traffic volumes lately?

I have and the first other person that I mentioned it too immediately responded by saying something like "Absolutely. No doubt about it."

Now, I'm thinking two possibilities here. (Note that there are no train, tram or significant ferry services where I live so everything moves by road.)

One is that the price of petrol is encouraging people to catch buses to work and generally avoid unnecessary travel.

The other is that there is simply less needing to be transported around the city. Less freight presumably which would be very indicative of a slowing economy.

It's not seasonal - I'm comparing year on year traffic congestion along three major routes which lead in different directions. All seem to be less busy with one being especially noticeable since it used to be very busy. There have been no new roads etc. to explain the changes.

Any thoughts? Anyone else seen anything like this?

HOLA442

Are you sure it isn't seasonal?

Our (usually full) work car park has dozens of empty spaces at the moment, and always does at this time of year, this is definitely due to the peak holiday season.

I don't commute long distances any more but when I used to I definitely noticed a drop in traffic (particularly at rush hours) when the holiday season kicked in. It used to cut my journey time by about 30% or so in London.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Because of the bombs in London there should be loads more traffic on the roads (tube down 15% weekdays, so they're commuting somehow).Ā  But in my experience, there's less traffic.Ā  Might also be the Ā£8 congestion charge.Ā  Frankly it's feeling a bit of a wasteland at times recently.Ā  People are more worried than they're admitting.

I drove into London for the first time since the bombings on Monday - there seemed to be a massive increase in cyclists.

HOLA445
HOLA446

In all honesty there has been no decrease in trafic round where i am (gloucestershire) except for at about 11pm down the back lanes on my CBR when the smell of the freshly cut grass and the pitch black solitude of night reminds me how alive i am.

ummm no , no real decline in traffic here.

HOLA447
HOLA448
In all honesty there has been no decrease in trafic round where i am (gloucestershire) except for at about 11pm down the back lanes on my CBR when the smell of the freshly cut grass and the pitch black solitude of night reminds me how alive i am.

ummmĀ  no , no real decline in traffic here.

Chuz, take the proton out after pumping up the tyre and smell the rich aroma of freshly cut grass. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just wondering if anyone has noticed a drop in road traffic volumes lately?

I have and the first other person that I mentioned it too immediately responded by saying something like "Absolutely. No doubt about it."

It's just the school holidays.

My commute always improves in the summer, due to the reduction in school traffic and people being on holiday. It seems like a pretty similar drop-off as in previous years.

You will only really be able to tell if there has been a definite reduction in traffic when the schools go back in September.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

here in blackpool its chocabloc as usual in the summer

this is a weird town

for 4 months of the year the population trebles

then when the winter comes on ie just after the illuminations, the whole town goes off on there holidays and the tourists all leave

there is probably 1/4 the amount of people in this town in november than october

HOLA4418
I love the spirit of optimism on this site, quieter roads in Tassie is uncontrovertible evidence of HPC in UK . . . if there's a causal link then I'll find a hat to eat . . .Ā  seems just as busy around here as ever in London zone 5. Sorry.

I think you've misinterpreted me here. I'm NOT saying there's a link between traffic where I am and HPC in UK. But there is a lot of general economic discussion on this forum and I would argue that a lack of traffic must be an indicator of something, most likely something economic. That is especially so given that it's Winter here and that's the only time apart from immediately before Christmas that we actually get busy traffic. But is's not busy so something is different. Yes I am comparing year on year and not seasonal variation. Just wondering if it was purely local or is happening elsewhere, that's all. :D

HOLA4419

smurf

I think your right and we had just had a family conversation about it, then an hour later i see your post.

It is a very marked reduction ( we live in a holiday resort also!) however a lot of posters live in London and you wont see the empty roads there anyway.

HOLA4420
smurf

I think your right and we had just had a family conversation about it, then an hour later i see your post.

It is a very marked reduction ( we live in a holiday resort also!) however a lot of posters live in London and you wont see the empty roads there anyway.

I know its the time of year when folks go on holiday but I have to say it hasen't been easier getting to work now, there is definetly less cars on the road, its more than seasonal I'd say, when you look at the facts and see that the average household income is about Ā£300 a week and to fill the average mondeo now is about Ā£50 it all starts to make sence.

Edited by Dicky

HOLA4421
I know its the time of year when folks go on holiday but I have to say it hasen't been easier getting to work now, there is definetly less cars on the road, its more than seasonal I'd say, when you look at the facts and see that the average household income is about Ā£300 a week and to fill the average mondeo now is about Ā£50 it all starts to make sence.

Well another part of the problem is the mondeo ain't so average now - the BMW 3-series outsells it now - so you've got the loan payments on the beemer + increased fuel costs.

If you've got savings might be a good time to buy a 2nd hand beemer soon :lol:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This thread is quite significant, so I have carried out a survey

of vehicles passing our front door during the past 48 hours.

I can report, accurately, that I have seen an 87% drop in traffic

compared to the last survey I did in March.

However, my wife points out that Mr MacHamish's van is

in for repair, and since I am sat here on my *rse counting

vehicles, instead of driving, I am distorting the figures.

Hulaghalan Island

Outer Hebrides

HOLA4424
Guys you are getting carried away.Ā  Yes traffic is much lighter.Ā  I notice because I cycle all the time.Ā  It dropped off precisely at the beginning of the school holidays.Ā  That's all there is to it.

There is a known relationship between traffic volumn and congestion and it is not linear. A 4% drop in volumn will cause a 40% drop in congestion as it is defined.

What this means is that the reduction in school runs will make the roads feel dispraportionatley quiety.

HOLA4425